It was bound to happen eventually

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
This evening I knocked the 'new' off of my tractor.

Was scooping up #2 limestone from a pile and snagged a hidden root. While continuing to lift with the FEL, I backed out of the pile. When the FEL broke free of the root, a shower of stone was launched skyward.

Six pieces landed on my hood and although it didn't dent the hood, I now have six flakes of paint/powdercoat about the size of a dime missing. Bare metal is visible in each spot.

Question is, what is the best way to touch these up so rust doesn't start?
I would have thought there would at least be some kind of primer under the topcoat.

KBinCT

Nov 16, 2014
Ledyard, CT USA
I had my L3901 about 2 weeks and was pushing some brush back and stuck a 3" diameter branch right through the grill. Luckily it didn't hit the radiator or battery. This summer I need to make a better grill guard.

I wonder if Kubota has touch up paint.

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
Welcome to the club! Kubota does have touchup paint in spray cans. I used a Scotchbrite pad to smooth the area and hit it with automotive primer first, then the Kubota orange, came out alright.
Good luck with your new machine!

Jerry

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
I would suggest finding a close match like the Lobster Red from Rustoleum as your "primer" and then if you don't like the match, use the official Kubota Orange #2 rattle can to make it match perfectly.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This evening I knocked the 'new' off of my tractor.

Was scooping up #2 limestone from a pile and snagged a hidden root. While continuing to lift with the FEL, I backed out of the pile. When the FEL broke free of the root, a shower of stone was launched skyward.

Six pieces landed on my hood and although it didn't dent the hood, I now have six flakes of paint/powdercoat about the size of a dime missing. Bare metal is visible in each spot.

Question is, what is the best way to touch these up so rust doesn't start?
I would have thought there would at least be some kind of primer under the topcoat.
Don't beat yourself up .....

first two hours I had my Bx - a log came over the top and placed a small dime size dent in my hood......damn I was pissed..........but I too realized that a ding was going to happen! Not sure I would start the touch up right now , might be more to come !:D:)

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up stopping by my dealer today for a (gulp) $15 rattle can of Kubota orange #2.

Cleaned the chipped areas with de-waxer solution then sprayed a bunch of the paint into the can cap and used a small artist brush to fill in the wounds.

Doesn't look too bad but that still doesn't ease the hurt much.

cmorris1

Equipment
L3901 HST
Nov 30, 2014
Louisville/Hart Co.
This is good to hear - sorry for the bruise, but I pick up my L3901 tomorrow and just know that is going to happen to me! I think of those dings like grey hair - you earn every last one!!!!

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
But if you put chevy orange on it, wont it just break down all the time then?:D
Naw... cause the ignition switch will fail first so it don't have time for other break downs. :D:D

If it was back in the good old GM of the 60's, the left motor mount would fail, allowing engine torque to lift up the engine left side and pull the throttle wide open.. I experienced that with a 389 cu in.. tri powered (3 carbs) Pontiac.. Try stopping that mother with the brakes.. I thought unintended acceleration was just a no cost feature..

I knew several people who would bolt chain to the two steel pieces of the left side motor mount.. GM wouldn't fix it until they were sued....

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Hood damage is the worst!

Be sure to mention whether or not you are Kubota I or Kubota II orange. The older machines are the "orangier" Tonka orange. The newer machines are the "redder" orange. On my machine 2012 L3800, the plastic instrument bezel is made in Japan and is Kubota I plastic colored and the rest of the tractor is USA made in the red orange so I have both! Looks quite odd.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up stopping by my dealer today for a (gulp) $15 rattle can of Kubota orange #2.

Cleaned the chipped areas with de-waxer solution then sprayed a bunch of the paint into the can cap and used a small artist brush to fill in the wounds.

Doesn't look too bad but that still doesn't ease the hurt much.
The Kubota paint gets deep in the pocket but in the long run you'll be glad you went with the real stuff. When it's first used the TSC paint matches good but after some time it changes colors. My mailbox was painted with both, the real paint still looks orange and the TSC stuff looks like crap.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My gree blooded friend was moving the tractor, changing from forks to bucket, pins in hand raised bucket all the way- rolled it up and tumbled it down loader arms and onto cab. Did a lot of expensive damage. 14 hours on machine. Needs a bucket pin beeper.....

So dont feel bad, those mark just add a little character.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana

Be sure to mention whether or not you are Kubota I or Kubota II orange. The older machines are the "orangier" Tonka orange. The newer machines are the "redder" orange. On my machine 2012 L3800, the plastic instrument bezel is made in Japan and is Kubota I plastic colored and the rest of the tractor is USA made in the red orange so I have both! Looks quite odd.
Thanks for the picture Ray. Now I feel better.

For what it is worth, this evening I discovered a perfect way to make my hood touch-up paint job virtually unnoticeable.

Was in my very muddy field repairing collapsed field tiles when lightning started. Hurriedly I stowed the hoe, kicked her into high range and hammered down for the barn. By the time I made it to the barn, the hood was covered with mud from tire sling off.

Can't even tell the hood was injured now! :D

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Thanks for the picture Ray. Now I feel better.

For what it is worth, this evening I discovered a perfect way to make my hood touch-up paint job virtually unnoticeable.

Can't even tell the hood was injured now! :D
"I love it when a plan comes together." - Col. John 'Hannibal' Smith The A-Team