L3010 not charging battery alt is ok

mopar2ya

Dec 9, 2013
ontario canada
I hit a snow bank and knocked off battery terminal. Repaired it. Now tractor will not charge battery. The alt. tested fine at shop. When running only getting around 12 volts at idle and have to rev 2000 to get 13.5 volts to battery. The battery will lose charge after a couple of days. The tractor will not shut off with key switch sometimes. Any idea's....Thanks

mopar2ya

Dec 9, 2013
ontario canada
The battery was not damaged neither was the connector. All it did was push the battery back and the positive lead came off the battery post. I was wondering if something shorted out if the positive lead grounded off frame

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If the battery isn't holding a charge you need to test the battery. Also with a digital multimeter you should go through and start disconnecting the hot cable at starter first. Check to see if there is any drain to battery. It will be slight, around .01 volts at a time slowly over a minute or so. If the battery remains constant. Hook wire back to starter and disconnect the main power wire to altenator, and the wire going from the starter to the key switch. If your seeing a drain with the starter only hooked up, then bad starter. If no drain then hook just the wire going to the alternator and test again. If seeing a drain, disconnect the power wire at alternator to rule out wire or alternator issue. If no drain then it's somewhere between the starter and key switch. Could be a bad/stuck relay, short in a wire somewhere or key switch issue.

Course if your seeing a drain on the battery with the positive disconnected, then there is probably a short internally and battery needs to be replaced :)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
A simple test, leave battery disconnected for a few days. Battery dead,replace battery. Battery not dead- replace tractor. Or track down whatever is draining battery. 12 volts is a low/ weak battery. A good battery should be higher than 12 volts.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
A simple test, leave battery disconnected for a few days. Battery dead,replace battery. Battery not dead- replace tractor. Or track down whatever is draining battery. 12 volts is a low/ weak battery. A good battery should be higher than 12 volts.
Hmmm... why do I imagine that TJ is interested in acquiring an L3010?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Perhaps the voltage regulator got damaged by the open circuit when the cable was off? IF the alternator is "good" it will put out around 14 volts to the battery, after passing through the voltage regulator, until the battery is fully charged.

If you have an external voltage regulator I would check it or replace it. If it is internal to the alternator you can ask whoever checked the alternator if they tested the regulator also and if it was OK.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I suspect there is a damaged/corroded connector or fuse.
If it like the one i used to operate, there was a fuse that got loose and tractor wouldnt shut off. If an ignition feed has high resistance, its possible to keep alt from operating properly.

As i write this,thinking low voltage wil effect shut down also, it would be dilligent to have battery properly tested.