BX durability? Are they fragile?

chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
I own a BX2370 and love it. Its been a very good tractor thus far, lots of power, reliable starting, and far more versatile that I ever imagined. Ive not seen more than a handful of bad things said about any model of BX since kubota started making them with the exception of a few people complaining about the jerky stop in reverse that was common in the 50 series. I met a guy today that works for a tractor dealership and swears the BX is a fragile machine that will break if worked hard or abused even a little. He says they see many BX's come into his shop with broken driveline parts. Specifically he stated the differential was the over engineered but under supported and the rear end had brittle/weak bearings often leading to failure. Said BX owners would be very disappointed if they could see inside the rear end of the BX. I have to say I've never seen one post or testimony to support such a claim as every Kubota owner I know loves their BX and swears by them. So what is your all opinion on such a claim? Anyone ever heard of a BX with failure prone driveline parts or know of any specific stories similar to what he claims?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hey Chuck,,, take a look around construction sites,,, I don't see green tractors or red ones but ya sure see a lot of orange ones,, And you know if it don't work you wont see them around construction sites,,, just MHO,, oh and my BX works hard, just take care of it ,properly maintained and remember your BX is a LITTLE tractor not a 988. Get stupid, and a man/woman can brake anything

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
I own a BX2370 and love it. Its been a very good tractor thus far, lots of power, reliable starting, and far more versatile that I ever imagined. Ive not seen more than a handful of bad things said about any model of BX since kubota started making them with the exception of a few people complaining about the jerky stop in reverse that was common in the 50 series. I met a guy today that works for a tractor dealership and swears the BX is a fragile machine that will break if worked hard or abused even a little. He says they see many BX's come into his shop with broken driveline parts. Specifically he stated the differential was the over engineered but under supported and the rear end had brittle/weak bearings often leading to failure. Said BX owners would be very disappointed if they could see inside the rear end of the BX. I have to say I've never seen one post or testimony to support such a claim as every Kubota owner I know loves their BX and swears by them. So what is your all opinion on such a claim? Anyone ever heard of a BX with failure prone driveline parts or know of any specific stories similar to what he claims?
chucky,

There MAY be the occasional drive line failure, but IMHO they are RARE. I have abused, misused, and mistreated my BX with no problems. It just takes it, then asks "What else you got?".

Dave

peterc38

Equipment
L4060
Sep 12, 2011
Maine
I dunno, the BX's seem rugged enough to me. Not a scientific study for sure, but anecdotally I have not read of the type of issues described. Perhaps the best known vulnerability is the HST fan but this can be protected by an aftermarket skid plate from Brotek.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I work mine hard with not a single issue in 250 hours. I also know that Home Depot rents them and have spoken with the rental guys there who tell me they have had no issues. Rental customer's beat the living snot out of them.

chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
I work mine hard with not a single issue in 250 hours. I also know that Home Depot rents them and have spoken with the rental guys there who tell me they have had no issues. Rental customer's beat the living snot out of them.

Id say that's the best indicator of quality right there. I didn't say I believe him just thought it was an odd comment considering I obsess about everything and figured in the endless months of reading before I spent 15000 dollars that I would have seen something like this on one of the many forums I belong too. My dealer, which I trust far more than a stranger, told me to use it like I stole it and that there was really no chance that I would be able to break or dish our more than what my BX could take when discussing my needs and the tractors intended purpose. I also know every time I did something stupid or heard an odd noise in the first year that when I called to ask "do you think I hurt something" he would reiterate to me each time that I was fine and the BX could take far more than I was aware of. still sparking a debate and discussing such things is enjoyable and will help the next guy when researching and making his decisions.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Some people could break an anvil. Nothing is indestructible.
Saying that, based on the reports, and lack of, from owners, as well as simple observation, I don't believe him. He is one voice, and very possibly not experienced, or telling the truth, or at the least objective. He may be right, the proof sure isn't there.
I wouldn't doubt your tractor. It's his word against your experience.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I see guys here twisting driveshafts off and breaking axles on 105 ton 992 Cat loaders. Does that mean they are fragile? LOL.

So as others have said about the BX....don't abuse it and you won' have any issues.

Last edited:

EricM

Equipment
2015 Deere 1025R FILB, 60" autoconnect MMM
Mar 29, 2015
Upstate NY
I wouldn't be too concerned. Given the number of BXs that Kubota sells, these forums would be lit up with complaints if there was any truth to the assertion.

AlexHutton

Equipment
Kubota BX2660
Feb 15, 2015
Sperry
Everyone on this fourm on this topic you can Trust, No Doubt About It. I have owned my BX 2660 for Three Years and it's getting ready to turn over on the hours to 1,200 hours, and without a problem. I own my lawn service, and for me I use it every day except when its raining, etc, otherwise, I am always using it for my job. It has been the best tractor we have ever owned!!!