B6200 no lights

Quagmire33

Equipment
B6200-d-hst. Great bend 220 FEL
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Last night driving to the house from my sugar shack with the headlights on. Get to the house, unload some tools out of the bucket and in that time the lights quit working. No headlight, tail lights, flashers, and I think the fuel gauge is not working either. Haven't had a chance to look yet but could it just be a fuse? Or could it be something even worse like the alternator? Any help is appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Last night driving to the house from my sugar shack with the headlights on. Get to the house, unload some tools out of the bucket and in that time the lights quit working. No headlight, tail lights, flashers, and I think the fuel gauge is not working either. Haven't had a chance to look yet but could it just be a fuse? Or could it be something even worse like the alternator? Any help is appreciated.
IF ALL went out at once - then I would not suspect just a fuse - there are multiple fuse for different circuits - the chance all blew at once would be ......

I would think that the main feed wire for the electrical system has come undone or has been broken.

Looking at this wiring diagram (this is NOT for the B6200 - rather the 5100,6100,and 7100 tractors) I would trace the wires from the starter motor if yours is similar to where this comes to the key switch - #30......this is where all the electrical gets the power to run in THIS situation.Then see if your Key switch has the AC out on the back of it - this is also where power is supplied to your lights - etc. Test for 12+ volts here

YOUR lights/flashers should work without the tractor running - just turning the key to the on position.

SOMEWHERE a wire has vibrated off, got cut or ........something, it might be a PITA to find, then again maybe not. Check all your fuses too with an ohm meter then trace the wires back to the battery - key switch and report back what you find!

Could be a bad key switch, or broken wire or ........

Attachments

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Thank you very much. That is a great help and I will check all that stuff this afternoon when I get home from work. I thought it was kind of funny that everything died all at once. So a broken or disconnected wire makes perfect sense. Thank you again.

P.S. I hate chasing wire issues.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thank you very much. That is a great help and I will check all that stuff this afternoon when I get home from work. I thought it was kind of funny that everything died all at once. So a broken or disconnected wire makes perfect sense. Thank you again.

P.S. I hate chasing wire issues.

I hope it is just a fuse:).......electrical issues are a royal PITA some times.....
good luck - tell us what you find

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There will be a main fuse down by the starter that is in the straw sized red wire that feeds power to the ignition switch.
If you can crank and start the tractor your problem is not with the feed it with something under the dash like possibly a broken wire off of the main switch. ;)

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Well didn't have long to look at it before the wifey poo came home and we went out to dinner. Couldn't get the steering wheel off to gain easy access to the electrical. I was able to move it around enough to see that the wiring had been butchered long ago and probably by many different people. Got the ignition switch out but didn't notice any wires that look like they recently fell off. Nothing obvious anyways. There are unused wires but look like they haven't been used in quite some time. Glow plug indicator has one wire off and I found a plunger switch just hanging out in there and have no idea what it does but there is power to it.

The tractor does turn over and start so it's gotta be something fairly simple but I'm going to have to wait till I can get perhaps a 3 jaw puller to get the steering wheel off and a time where it's semi warm and when I'm not going to need the tractor the next day. Guess for the time being ill have to drive to and from the sugar shack by feel in the dark. For now there are only snow banks I'm going to run into.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Update: I got a three jaw puller and got the steering wheel off and got behind the dash. Still can't find anything obvious. Did find some unused wires that I removed. Question now is, could my regulator be bad? I am not good at chasing wires. I have the schematic for the wiring and seems easy enough to trace things until I get out and actually try to follow the wires. Help!

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Updat to the update. Found three things. Fuse holder for headlights wasn't making contact, put new one on. Loose connection in the connectors by the steering arm. Thought that was all of it and while putting stuff back together the flasher stopped working. There was a broken wire that was making only intermittent contact. So fixed that. Now everything seems to be working...... For now. Thanks for all the help.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
After all the wire chasing I now have my voltage light on. I've done some reading here and I guess I have to check the Dynamo for voltage, 30ish Volts AC. Does that sound accurate?? And then if I have voltage, I gotta check volts coming out of the regulater? I hate electrical issues ! Does anyone have any tips for me, things to make my life a little easier ? I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic or an electrician. I get by but barely.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
When you say voltage light, I think you mean charge lamp.

The charge lamp is part of the field excitation circuit. It is more than a warning light.

Most likely it is ON because of a bad connection. Two wires go from the lamp back to the charger. I would look first at the connections on that route, especially around the connector you had trouble with earlier.

Fan belt doing it's job.

Grounds and conductors in charging circuits.

I would not spend time worrying about dynamo and voltage regulator yet. The end result is that the regulator keeps the voltage a couple of volts above the battery voltage. It does that by regulating the field current. And a lit charge lamp says there's a problem.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Thanks. I will check my connections again. I did tighten the belt to the Dynamo, it wasn't too loose but enough I though it needing adjusting. And I checked the battery terminals which are good. It has to be something simple. I just hate wiring ! It's not my Area of expertise.