$1.89 complete gear oil change, find in coolant

hikerduane

Equipment
B6100, FEL
Nov 17, 2014
Meadow Valley, CA
I remembered I had a quart of old Chevron 80W-90 gear oil that I never used for the past 30 years at least. Just got a B6100 off of my brother who had it for 15 hours of use in one year, has 2166 hours on it when I met him to pick it up. Changed the engine oil recently. I've been going through and changing all the fluids, got the front diff and axle cases along with the steering box today, all on that one quart of old gear oil. What a job getting the fill hole plug out of the diff, then I thought I messed up by draining the oil first. Next time, I'll remove the wheels first like I did before tackling the axle cases, those were easy. Had all the tools put away and the remaining oil as well, then remembered the steering box more than likely took the same stuff. Worked out, the one quart was enough do it all and best of all, $1.89. :) Since the tractors paint is faded, it was assumed there might be water in the steering box, but it was fine, no water.

I changed the coolant Thanksgiving morning, another fine job getting to everything, as I changed the hoses also. There is a reason I found out why the bottom hoses clamp is placed in a certain position, so the right side screen will go back. The system flush was real easy, place a container under the bottom hose and pour fresh water in the radiator. Some crud came out, guessing consolidated minerals? and the big surprise, a thin washer about rusted away, 7/8" ID. Factory goof? Looked like straight coolant was used, it was dark, so I'm sure it did the tractor good, replacing all the fluids.

I have the hydraulic fluid and transmisson fluid to change next, as soon as the dealer gets the filters in that were orderd two weeks ago. I thought the UDT was for equipment where oil for both the hydraulics and transmission use one common reservoir, but I see this has separate systems, except the rear lift arms for the three point system which should work off the tranny oil.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving, I went camping, took a campstove top oven and fixed a sweet potato and a game hen, along with fresh cooked cranberries over another small stove, nice meal. No close relatives and mom passed last winter, so no place to go.
Duane

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Good for you Duane...

Its amazing what good comes from regular fluid changes. Its the cheapest insurance you can buy for any machine. Yours sounds like it has found a good home. And good on you for saving that gear oil. Not like its going to go bad sitting on the shelf. I am like you: I have a collection of fluids.

Taught my daughter to change her oil when she was in high school and she did it religiously. The last month of her warranty, the valve guides started to leak and the RAV4 started to smoke. I had her take it in to Toyota and the regional guy called me saying, "You know she has no receipts for her oil changes... If we pull that head and its all gunked up, you are paying for the head job." I assured him it would be fine.

The day they pulled the head the regional rep stopped by, looked at the head and stormed out of the dealership. The service writer I talked too was laughing. He said that head was the cleanest they had ever seen. There was not one spot of anything in any of the nooks and crannies of the head and it was obvious the car had been well-maintained. Toyota bought the head overhaul.

Sounds like you had a better Thanksgiving than I did. My wife and I took her mom out who was in one of those "moods." We all shoveled our food down with little discussion and left. Not near as memorable as yours...

Speaking of gunked-up heads, my brother owned an import car repair place and they used to see Audi's come in with pretty nasty oil after going too long between changes. This was back when people thought Mobil 1 could really go a whole year and it turned out the additives packages were going bye-bye around 3000mi. (Big law suits came out of that...) The Audis had some really small oil galleries and it was common for cams and other bits to wear due to insufficient oil volume.

To make sure those oil passages would remain clean and clear, they would drain out a quart or two of old oil and replace it with transmission fluid, which is high detergent. Then, they'd idle the engine for about ten minutes and then drain the oil and re-service it. He said the crap that came out of some of those cars was unbelievable. After the service, they looked almost new inside.

I have often thought about using a little tranny fluid before an oil service on a severely neglected diesel. The solids that form in a diesel oil probably really pile up if service intervals are ignored. Does anyone know if diesel oil is higher in detergent for that reason?

Sorry for the ramble...

My tractor need not worry about that. It gets babied and serviced at shorter intervals than the recommended ones. :)

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I have the hydraulic fluid and transmisson fluid to change next, as soon as the dealer gets the filters in that were orderd two weeks ago. I thought the UDT was for equipment where oil for both the hydraulics and transmission use one common reservoir, but I see this has separate systems, except the rear lift arms for the three point system which should work off the tranny oil.

Duane
A b6100 has only one reservoir for both the transmission and the rear differential.
Glad you had a nice thanksgiving.

hikerduane

Equipment
B6100, FEL
Nov 17, 2014
Meadow Valley, CA
I've been using Mobil 1 in my '07 Civic since the second oil change, I've only heard good things about it the last 30 years. I used to work for a petroleum jobber in one of their convenience stores for 20 years.
Some of the gear oil was close to black, may not have been changed for years, that was in the axles, the front diff was closer to normal, but still cloudy. The crankcase did not give up over a gal., so don't know where the balance was, now it is over filled a tiny bit, with less than a gal. added.
Newbie to equipment, never had the extra funds to spring for a tractor, just a Troybilt rototiller,Western Auto snow thrower, different toys over the years, so assuming things about the tractor have been false, mostly about the hydraulics.
After getting the front end in the air so I could move the front back and forth to access the axle plugs, I tightened up the bolt that holds and allows the front axle to float and tried turning the tires to check for 4X4 engagement. No results to begin with, but soon discovered, that it must have been in 4X4 mode all the time, because I moved that lever to engage the front and I moved it to only 4X2 mode before trying to see if the wheels rolled freely at first. So good news on the 4X4 working. :) I do recall the first time I moved the tractor, that the clutch felt grabbie, similar to the '80 Chevy Luv I had when engaging the 4 X 4 in it. I guess with more wheels pulling, it wants to move the vehicle sooner. Best I can explain about the feeling.
Duane

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
3 1/2 to 3 3/4 quarts for the motor sounds about right. My l1501 takes just shy of a gallon when I do the oil change.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
My dad allways used Quaker State motor oil, because he could buy it in the grocery store. So, I grew up useing it. In the early '70's, my wife bought a new '73 Mustang. Quaker State was all it ever got , at 3000 miles. Was changing the oil at the shop where I worked one day, and one of the real smart (race) guys said," that stuff will gum up your eng and cause it to lock up". About a month later, at 125,000 miles ,it wouldn't start, plastic teeth on the timeing chain broke, ( dumb ford idea). When I pulled the front off, he came over to gloat and show me how bad the front of the eng was gummed up. Problem was, it was clean as new steel. Several mnths later, I pulled the eng to rebuild it. It still had the crosshatch pattern in the cylinders. regular maintanence makes a difference.