B3350 dpf issues

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have almost 700 hours on my Nov 2013 B3350.

Re-gens are 10 to 13 hours apart depending on how I'm running it - hard is better.

It's been to the dealer twice for updates, last time about 3 years ago.

Runs fine, but I sure wish it didn't have the DPF.
Delete it. I'm sure someone out there has the delete answer.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Re-gens are 10 to 13 hours apart depending on how I'm running it - hard is better.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

If your tractor has not been updated in three years, it is certainly not up to current specs.

That said, if you are not having problems, I would not let anyone touch it.

Sorry for the many (since deleted) duplicate replies.

Apparently, the web site was malfunctioning earlier.

I've deleted about half a dozen duplicate replies.

SDT

Last edited:

bumper

Equipment
BX24, B3350 cab, w/front mount blower, BH77
Mar 8, 2011
Minden, Nevada

No so's I can find . . . probably too small a market. And probably dissuaded by the large fines handed out to some of the pickup truck "delete" providers.

BTW, this thread must have a bump-stock or something. Couple of posts when full auto!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
No so's I can find . . . probably too small a market. And probably dissuaded by the large fines handed out to some of the pickup truck "delete" providers.

BTW, this thread must have a bump-stock or something. Couple of posts when full auto!
Much too small of a market.

No money to be made

SDT

bumper

Equipment
Mar 8, 2011
Minden, Nevada
Update: Now with 785 hours, regens are every 4 hours. I can see the point when things come to halt. Called the dealer and they said a new DPF is just over $3,000. That comes to about $4 and change per hour added cost. Don't know if that price includes new sensors on the DPF (probably not).

Has anyone opened up the DPF to power wash the innards? Or maybe just drilled a hole or two through it and welded the outer hole/s up? (Or has heard of a friend of a friend who did that?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Update: Now with 785 hours, regens are every 4 hours. I can see the point when things come to halt. Called the dealer and they said a new DPF is just over $3,000. That comes to about $4 and change per hour added cost. Don't know if that price includes new sensors on the DPF (probably not).

Has anyone opened up the DPF to power wash the innards? Or maybe just drilled a hole or two through it and welded the outer hole/s up? (Or has heard of a friend of a friend who did that?
No one has mentioned successful hole drilling, because of computer controls probably wouldn't work.

Some time ago I heard about services that bake out a dpf, and/or provide a replacement trade so your tractor isn't out for too long. Seems like cost was way more reasonable, more like $300, although these days sounds too good to be true. If I can find link I'll post. Lugbolt or whitetiger may know.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Unlike (at least some of) the larger DPFs used on larger Kubota models, the DPF used on the 3350 is not bolted together. Accordingly, it must be cut open. Not sure how successful one would be attempting such procedure.

SDT

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Start here with gathering information on cleaning your old one. You may need help from dealer and his laptop to reinstall due to computer.

In my area a google search showed 3 businesses that offered a cleaning service.

bumper

Equipment
Mar 8, 2011
Minden, Nevada
Unlike (at least some of) the larger DPFs used on larger Kubota models, the DPF used on the 3350 is not bolted together. Accordingly, it must be cut open. Not sure how successful one would be attempting such procedure.

SDT
I sprung for the new DPF as I needed the machine. My plan is to cut the welds on the old one and clean it myself later, then reweld it, (or I may weld on overlapping tabs so it can be band clamped together. If I knew how the sensors and computer would react, i'd be tempted to put a hole through it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I sprung for the new DPF as I needed the machine. My plan is to cut the welds on the old one and clean it myself later, then reweld it, (or I may weld on overlapping tabs so it can be band clamped together. If I knew how the sensors and computer would react, i'd be tempted to put a hole through it.
Hope you can TIG weld, the cannister is stainless, 304 sheet to be exact.

bumper

Equipment
Mar 8, 2011
Minden, Nevada
Hope you can TIG weld, the cannister is stainless, 304 sheet to be exact.
Yup, I do, a nice Miller with liquid cooled torch. :c)

I have no clue as to why they welded up the can*. Kubota Engine US offers DPF cleaning, but they don't show the B3350 DPF. I sent them an email, just to see what it costs and to find out if they do it for the B3350. (I plan to do it myself in any case). I'll clean the old one, then plan on cleaning the new one when the time between regens decreases significantly.

*I'll see if I can figure a way to reassemble without welds, or in worst case, use "interlocking" tabs and spot welds so there's less cutting to get the thing apart.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
you can't just clean or disable the dpf without making computer changes

everyone thinks they can just take it off but you can't and still expect the ecu to work properly

some pickup truck drivers found that out the hard way too, early on with the 6.4's among others

u also can't just pressure wash it out it doesn't get all of the soot out and theres a very good possibility of damaging the substrate with high pressure water-for that reason they ideally need to be baked out properly in an oven that's designed specifically for the purpose. a certain dealer was pulling them off soaking them overnight in a bucket of dawn & water, and then power washing them out at their shop. they got away with it for a while then the tractors started coming back in with frequent regenerations, codes, and broken substrates; and the dealer had to end up eating the cost of NEW dpf's for those tractors; and dpf's are not cheap to replace! One of the bigger tractors, M6-111 as I recall, the substrate was broken and it allowed the material to plug the exhaust outlet resulting in high egt, which damaged the engine. Yep. Dealer got to eat that one too.

some causes of frequent regeneration are junk fuel poor oil quality wrong oil excess oil usage too much oil in the crankcase people adding 2 stroke oil or transmission fluid or engine oil to the fuel excessive soot in the dpf and a host of other things, poor maintenance, abuse, neglect is one big one. that is all in the owners manual iirc but a lot of people just wipe their butt with those things and that is the last use they get

its very important to keep maintenance in mind with any tractor, more important with dpf equipped tractors. B3350 is no exception nor is the ZD1511 (same engine for the most part)

when doing a dpf cleaning there is a soot load reset and a time interval reset(among a few other things that need to be done) in the ecu, and we (owners) do not have that access. dealer only.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
that is all in the owners manual iirc but a lot of people just wipe their butt with those things and that is the last use they get

My absolute favorite all time line.............

Over half the 'what if and how to' questions on this forum and others are explained in detail in that book that accompanies every new tractor and should be passed on when it's sold.

Not sure about using if for TP as the paper is a bit slippery but I guess you can if pressed......... :D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The Freightliner dealership I retired from bought a DPF cleaning machine, if I remember correctly, it was well over 20K and you still had to dispose of the cleaned material in a hazardous waste landfill and interestingly, quite a few DPF elements were not cleanable because customers ran them past the normal cleaning interval to engine derate and they were so loaded up, they could not be cleaned out.

Physically, much larger than any Kubota DPF element and very expensive too. Been a while but I believe the Cummins 'One Box' element (no sensors included) was around 3 grand.

You don't 'bypass or delete on a road going truck, every weigh station just about is equipped with opacity monitors. You get caught, you make it 'right' right there in the lot. You don't move.

Tractors on the other hand aren't so tightly regulated but they could be in the future. One never knows.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have not heard on this forum of anyone with models other than the B3350 having to replace a dpf filter. The compact sizes, L and up, first came out in 2013, and most of us don't put anywhere near 3,000 hours on them. After the first flurry of regen problems due to cold weather and oil vapors condensing in lines, and users ignoring blinking lights, it has been pretty quiet on the regen front on the forum. It may be regular users that show up here obsess over oil type and are a little less likely to do something foolish to contaminate their fuel. Although there have been plenty of single timers with computer problems of electronic origin.

Anyone out there that has replaced a dpf due to normal or abnormal use in an L or M Kubota? (Besides the ones lugbolt has seen.)

bumper

Equipment
Mar 8, 2011
Minden, Nevada
From when I purchased by B3350HSDC 11/07, I have done everything according to the owner's manual, (I have the shop manual too). Used the correct oil (CJ4 rated - IIRC, synthetic for turbo-diesel) at the recommended engine hours and good fresh fuel. On start up, I back off the key to the glow plug position for a few seconds until the engine smooths. The tractor is stored in a shed at no lower than 48 F, I minimize run time below 2100. And I keep track of regen cycles, which for the past few years have rapidly decreased in interval time into the single digits, ending at 4 hours with a new DPF filter and sensors at almost 790 engine hours.

The dealer said the B3350 and the ZD1511 are the only models they see with systemic DPF issues. They share an outdated design using mechanical fuel injection instead of common rail, and that is believed to be a big part of the problem.

I talked to https://www.kubotaengine.com/parts-service/genuine-kubota-parts/dpf-cleaning-program/

They clean DPF's on "non-captive" Kubota engines, but not on my little tractor. Those DPF cores unbolt to be cleaned of the built up ash residue that is left over from the burnt particulate after regen.

To date and through my ownership, I've had only one regen issue. That was after one computer update where they changed the default setting of Regen button that originally you would have to push each time you started the tractor to enable automatic regen (the light would be on). After that update, you would ONLY push that button to prevent an automatic regen. They didn't tell me that, so I went on tractoring with auto regens disabled until it made me do a parked regen. That's when I found out about the "swap". There have been no other regen related problems like so many have experienced.

The problem is with the design, not with this, or all the other operators who are treating their B3350's right and still facing DPF related issues.

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
Our super b cab 3350 has been flawless....as has our super b cab 2650. Both ordered/purchased new spring 2019. No complaints here.

bumper

Equipment
Mar 8, 2011
Minden, Nevada
Our super b cab 3350 has been flawless....as has our super b cab 2650. Both ordered/purchased new spring 2019. No complaints here.
I would not expect a problem with a low hour B3350, even on my Nov, 2007, I had no issues for hundreds of hours.

BTW, if the tractor dies and the instrument panel is dead, check for a blown 5 amp fuse. If it blows again, it's a short to ground inside the neutral sense switch on the forward/reverse treadle. Common problem. I bought a new switch, but haven't installed it. Just took a 1/2 PVC female threaded pipe cap and screwed it on the switch mounting threads to hold the switch engaged, insulated switch and nylon tied it to the nearest wire/tubing to get it out of the way. I've decided I'm smart enough to keep my foot of the go lever while I'm starting the tractor.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
From when I purchased by B3350HSDC 11/07, I have done everything according to the owner's manual, (I have the shop manual too). Used the correct oil (CJ4 rated - IIRC, synthetic for turbo-diesel) at the recommended engine hours and good fresh fuel. On start up, I back off the key to the glow plug position for a few seconds until the engine smooths. The tractor is stored in a shed at no lower than 48 F, I minimize run time below 2100. And I keep track of regen cycles, which for the past few years have rapidly decreased in interval time into the single digits, ending at 4 hours with a new DPF filter and sensors at almost 790 engine hours.

The dealer said the B3350 and the ZD1511 are the only models they see with systemic DPF issues. They share an outdated design using mechanical fuel injection instead of common rail, and that is believed to be a big part of the problem.

I talked to https://www.kubotaengine.com/parts-service/genuine-kubota-parts/dpf-cleaning-program/

They clean DPF's on "non-captive" Kubota engines, but not on my little tractor. Those DPF cores unbolt to be cleaned of the built up ash residue that is left over from the burnt particulate after regen.

To date and through my ownership, I've had only one regen issue. That was after one computer update where they changed the default setting of Regen button that originally you would have to push each time you started the tractor to enable automatic regen (the light would be on). After that update, you would ONLY push that button to prevent an automatic regen. They didn't tell me that, so I went on tractoring with auto regens disabled until it made me do a parked regen. That's when I found out about the "swap". There have been no other regen related problems like so many have experienced.

The problem is with the design, not with this, or all the other operators who are treating their B3350's right and still facing DPF related issues.
Bingo, Bumper.

Experience has taught me that the reformer based DPF system used by Kubota only on the B3350 and TOL ZTR mowers with the same engine cannot be made reliable for use by most owners of small compact tractors.

Of course, this is why Kubota has replaced this engine with a common rail injected (no reformer) engine similar to engines used reliably in all other Kubota DPF equipped products.

I do not expect such regen problems with the new LX 3310 and other Kubota machines using this common rail design.

I do expect continuing regen issues (becomming more frequent and much more expensive as the EPA mandated 5 year emissions warranty expires) as B3350s and other machines using the reformer based DPF system age.

Shame on Kubota.

SDT

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user