bx2200 mid mount mower bearings

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
her mower started making some pretty impressive sounds on both sides. I assume it's the bearings and they're going out. I'd like to think they're pretty easy to replace, but that may be naïve. Anyone have any experiences with these mowers that would indicate anything other than bearings, and what experiences have you had replacing the bearings?

thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Unlike more traditional lawn and garden tractor mower decks where all three blades have the same support mechanism, Kubota's mid pto bevel gear case design has two outer blades the same and each supported by 2 identical bearings.

The middle blade is partially supported by the bevel gear case output shaft and a separate bearing support under the mower.

Replacing the bearings does not appear difficult.

I would start by first removing the belt powering the two outer blades to see if the noise goes away. You may not have to deal with the center blade support.

You would not have to buy Kubota parts but just brand name bearings at a local bearing shop. Stick with recognized names like Timken, SKF, FAG. If the price is too good, the bearing likely is not.

Dave

Attachments

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
This video may be useful to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3eC2OIg85o&t=3s

I have no idea of the accuracy of it, but it seems like a pretty simple step to take when replacing the bearings, and if it makes the greasing work better, that's good. I think I recall he also gave some step by step for actually replacing the bearings (admittedly not on a Kubota, but still could be useful)

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I've replaced a number of different deck bearings. I was not and am still not blessed with a press sooo there was and is quite a bit of whoopping and beating with a hammer and freezing races before they were seated back in the spindle housing. Its not hard to do just take your time and you'll get it done. There may be some snap rings to remove. If so, invest in a pair of snap ring pliers.