"Crumbs" in BX 1850 engine oil

Jpatrick

Equipment
BX1850, L210, Various 3 point implements
Apr 4, 2017
Buckingham, Pa
A few months ago I changed the oil in the BX 1850 and noticed a few black specks in the bottom of the pan. I wasn't very careful about cleaning the bottom of the catch pan so I couldn't be sure it was coming from the tractor.

A couple days ago, I made sure the pan was clean before I drained the crankcase and it was the same thing. Black specks that look like crumbs of burnt toast. I isolated several of these for a closer look. They are easily friable. I can crush them with my thumbnail.

I'm guessing that this are agglomerates of engine soot. The engine runs great, and there's no indication of power loss or any real trouble at all. The tractor has 590 hrs on it. I use 15w40 oil. Either Shell or Valvoline.

Anyone else notice this?

BX23S

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L3901 FEL, BH, GRAPPLE, PALLET FORK, SNOW PLOW and Hard Canopy
Sep 1, 2018
ID
A few months ago I changed the oil in the BX 1850 and noticed a few black specks in the bottom of the pan. I wasn't very careful about cleaning the bottom of the catch pan so I couldn't be sure it was coming from the tractor.

A couple days ago, I made sure the pan was clean before I drained the crankcase and it was the same thing. Black specks that look like crumbs of burnt toast. I isolated several of these for a closer look. They are easily friable. I can crush them with my thumbnail.

I'm guessing that this are agglomerates of engine soot. The engine runs great, and there's no indication of power loss or any real trouble at all. The tractor has 590 hrs on it. I use 15w40 oil. Either Shell or Valvoline.

Anyone else notice this?
Water droplets or air bubbles? Maybe diesel soot droplets due to faulty engine EGR.