Synthetic Oil

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I had a car that I bought used that was running castoral brand synthetic oil when I bought it . I used the same oil the next time I changed it started noticing that it would go a quart low at around 2000 miles.
It was probably trying to puke that junk out so you would put something better in.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
There is so much mis/dis information out there on the oil types and systems. Most of it propaganda from the oil makers themselves. It's actually HARD to find a true independent lab test (one that wasn't requested by someone with a stake in the game or a lab with a stake in the game) of oils and claims.

I only know what I've experienced in my own equipment and that's pretty much all I know about them. I have verification of the experience from other owners of similar equipment so I feel confident in what I do as working okay for what I have.

Oddly, those experiences run counter to and in line with some statements already made in this thread and I have no desire to indulge in oil religious discussions. So, I will not go into detail. I will take the wimpy way out:

Change your oil with the factory specified oils at the factory specified intervals and all warranties will remain in place and functioning to protect you. If you choose to deviate from those specifications attempting to save money (one way or the other) you are an adult and are free to do so. We all live with the consequences of our choices on a daily basis.

As for me, my L3200 will be getting a 50hr change with Kubota fluids. I'll pay the outrageous prices just so I can prove to them, if anything goes wrong, that they are on the hook for everything. Once it's out of warranty, I'll switch to the stuff I know works on my other gear.

davesl708

Equipment
BX2200, LA211, RCK60B-22BX, 5ft. Rototiller, Rear Blade, 4ft Drag Harrow
Feb 24, 2013
Shawnee, Kansas
I decided to go synthetic back when BMW did their own road test on their new model to decide if syn should go in their vehicles from the factory.

They took three cars and drove them continuously with scheduled service intervals to determine when the engines wore to the point they were out of spec.

The test lasted for three years and the cars had near or at one million miles on them before the parts wore out of spec.

As some truckers can attest on their rigs extreme high mileage are attainable with proper maintenance.

I appreciate syn qualities especially in cold weather. The engine runs smoother and quieter with syn.

Dino oil has proven itself over the 100+ years of service. Syn is a more refined oil with better molecular structure that does not break down or shear as dino does.

Which ever you choose the maintenance routine is the most important factor.

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
>>I appreciate syn qualities especially in cold weather.<<

And in hot weather as well. I've been using it for over 25 years in cars, trucks, diesel tractors, and motorcycles, but there are those who will go to their graves thinking synthetics are the work of the devil. :p

Reactions: 1 user

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Not knocking synthetic oils, but i have hun mobile 1 in my 08 hemi is see new and now have 101k miles. Burns 2 quarts every 5k since 75k when pulling the camper and 1 quart without. Of course that is considered normal by the manufactures. Changed oil at every 5k. Just now run NAPA dingo oil now. Cost too much.

Sent from my LGUK410 using Tapatalk