Hydraulic leakdown

Chris11

Equipment
BX25
Jun 6, 2014
Chewelah WA
I've had my BX25 for just over one year now. Ever since brand new the downriggers have slowly lost pressure. In fact the first time I took off the backhoe I used the downriggers to hold it up .... the next day I found it had fallen over. Now one of the downriggers will slowly (over 24 hours) go down from it's parked up position.

I phoned the Kubota dealer just now to have it looked at under warranty and he says they'll look at it but leakage is normal. I find this very hard to believe, especially since new.

What are your opinions?

Thanks, Chris

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I've had my BX25 for just over one year now. Ever since brand new the downriggers have slowly lost pressure. In fact the first time I took off the backhoe I used the downriggers to hold it up .... the next day I found it had fallen over. Now one of the downriggers will slowly (over 24 hours) go down from it's parked up position.

I phoned the Kubota dealer just now to have it looked at under warranty and he says they'll look at it but leakage is normal. I find this very hard to believe, especially since new.

What are your opinions?

Thanks, Chris

Chris,

Hate to pass on the bad news......this is "normal" and it will get worse as the wear and tear on the seals and everything else is used.

If when you take the hoe off - always use something else to stabilize the hoe. Most use a dolly or something so that the load is carried not by the outriggers.

I know that is doesnt seem right, but I too have a BX25D and after almost two years - I have to watch make sure when I dont run it for a while I walk into those drooping outriggers!!! I have hung my .....well you get the idea, spin around a little too fast and that sucker is about waste high!!!!:eek::eek::)

When the pump is pushing....there should be NO leak down or anything like that....... many will use a tight bungie cord to hold back the outriggers if they park the tractor a long while.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
85Hokie is right, leak down is normal. My rule of thumb is never trust hydraulics. You never know when a line will blow or some other issue that will let a implement fall.

When removed my backhoe I would set it down on blocks, rear and front, outriggers down with boom fully extended. I never had a problem with it moving while it was off. To me the blocks were the key.

Chris11

Equipment
BX25
Jun 6, 2014
Chewelah WA
Thanks for the replies.

I'm amazed that hydraulics act like this....used I can understand, but new I thought wouldn't leakdown. Glad I checked with you knowledgable people before I took it for a "repair."

I do now put blocks under it .... but that first time I took it off and it fell over I had quite a time righting it.

Thanks again for taking the time to educate me.

Chris

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
For whatever reason the only hydraulics that I've personally seen that will hold position (I'm ashamed to say this) are Komatsu equipment. Obviously this requires no leaks which that is the rare part because most of their equipment leaks from end to end, new or not.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Look at it this way, i never leave a bucket in the air when not in use. I dont like to leave hydraulics loaded. A backhoe sitting on the outriggers is a loaded hydraulic system, someone fiddles with it and it drops could have serious consequences. Glad you chose to block it.