Kubota L295dt just started spewing oil!

ZQ8 Blazer

Feb 20, 2015
Western, Ky
I just cranked up my tractor and oil began to shoot out from the block. I'm providing two pics of the hole it was coming from. What is this and why is it doing this? Note that both pics are turned 90 degrees for some reason.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If that's engine oil, looks like you lost a rear seal...
If it's hydraulic oil... looks like it needs to be changed! :D All kidding aside, it would be a front seal on the transmission.
Those are the good problems to have. If it's a crack in the block.. that's bad news and while you can get it repaired, it's not fun or cheap!

ZQ8 Blazer

Feb 20, 2015
Western, Ky
If that's engine oil, looks like you lost a rear seal...
If it's hydraulic oil... looks like it needs to be changed! :D All kidding aside, it would be a front seal on the transmission.
Those are the good problems to have. If it's a crack in the block.. that's bad news and while you can get it repaired, it's not fun or cheap!
So if a seal is leaking it comes out that hole? I had read somewhere that the hole was for an accessory and kubota plugged it, but after years and years the plug will give way. Here's an arrow point towards where it's coming from.

Attachments

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
If the hole is plugged with a small 3/8 inch aluminum plug and the plug is gone it can be fixed by threading a small bolt in place. Get out a tap and die,grease it well and tap the hole. Grease keeps the metal from going into the block. Loctite the bolt when you tread it in. A small set screw would also work.

ZQ8 Blazer

Feb 20, 2015
Western, Ky
If the hole is plugged with a small 3/8 inch aluminum plug and the plug is gone it can be fixed by threading a small bolt in place. Get out a tap and die,grease it well and tap the hole. Grease keeps the metal from going into the block. Loctite the bolt when you tread it in. A small set screw would also work.
But did it have a plug there originally?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes had a small dowel looking plug in it from the factory, not very common for them to come out but they do on rare occasion.
Just get a tap and tap the hole and a bolt or plug to plug it up.

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
It is called an oil galley plug. It fills a hole drilled in the block to allow oil to be transferred from one part of the inside of the engine to another. Some are like a threaded pipe plug, some are a small round slug of aluminum. I had one of the non threaded style push out of one of my B7100s last summer. Took about 30 seconds to pump most all the oil from the engine. Glad I was only backing out of the garage. If I had been running the tractor mowing I bet I would have ruined the engine.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I couldn't tell WHAT it was from the picture or that the 'hole' was the origin of the leak. Looked like it was coming out from the separation point, but yeah, it's probably that plug failing.

svalibi

Jul 11, 2022
Fort Pierce, FL
I am dealing with this problem now also. I talked to a mechanic about tapping the hole and plugging with a bolt. He said this may fix the immediate problem, but it could cause bigger issues because oil pressure is too high for some reason.

For those who have fixed this issue by tapping and using a bolt, how did the fix hold up?

Thank in advance!

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I think I sold mine 4 years after I fixed it. I had no problems with it during that time. I only sold it because I bought a slightly larger Kubota. Be sure to coat the drill bit and tap with plenty of grease to capture as many chips as possible. After I finished drilling and taping, I filled the crankcase with oil and started the engine for about 15 seconds. Just long enough to spit a bunch of oil out to make sure any metal chips were cleaned from the hole.

Reactions: 1 user