Starter problem on ZTR

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Wasn't sure where to post this as it's not a tractor question or even a Kubota question per se but more a general mechanical one. I've got an Exmark ZTR that cranks sporadically. When the engine doesn't crank it still has a loud click at the solenoid/starter. Maybe 1 out of 10 times it cranks with no problem. When it doesn't crank the starter never spins. Does this sound like a solenoid, starter or maybe a flywheel problem? The battery is giving plenty of juice to the solenoid. If there's a better topic I should post this let me know. Thanks.

Adman1100

Equipment
L2250 Loader woodsplitter Snowblower
Apr 12, 2015
Gorham NH
Wasn't sure where to post this as it's not a tractor question or even a Kubota question per se but more a general mechanical one. I've got an Exmark ZTR that cranks sporadically. When the engine doesn't crank it still has a loud click at the solenoid/starter. Maybe 1 out of 10 times it cranks with no problem. When it doesn't crank the starter never spins. Does this sound like a solenoid, starter or maybe a flywheel problem? The battery is giving plenty of juice to the solenoid. If there's a better topic I should post this let me know. Thanks.
More than likely the problem is inside of you starer solenoid. If you are handy with a wrench and can remove the end plate where the battery cable attaches to the starter, you may have to remove the starter to do this, you will most likely find that the contacts are starting to burn up. Most of those contacts are replaceable if you can find an outlet for them. Otherwise, you will have to buy a new solenoid if it is changeable or a new starter. Adman

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
More than likely the problem is inside of you starer solenoid. If you are handy with a wrench and can remove the end plate where the battery cable attaches to the starter, you may have to remove the starter to do this, you will most likely find that the contacts are starting to burn up. Most of those contacts are replaceable if you can find an outlet for them. Otherwise, you will have to buy a new solenoid if it is changeable or a new starter. Adman
Thanks Adman. The solenoid isn't too bad to access and remove. The engine cover will have to be removed to remove the starter itself. Will check the contacts.