Kubota engine (gen set) shutting off low oil pressure light on

707pc50

Feb 7, 2015
Arcata california
You can see my post "runaway" to see previous history on this gen, basically fuel injection pump causing engine to runaway, swapped pump was running good, now it is shutting down and low oil pressure warning light is on?? Plenty of oil on dipstick? We have checked head gasket and pressure tested head. Where to start here? Motor is not getting hot?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I agree with D2cat. Some diesel setups run power through the oil sending units and start when oil pressure is established by cranking. If the sending unit is bad, it will do all you describe. That gen set may be set up that way to avoid low or no oil pressure problems. My Ingersoll Rand 185 air compressors do that with a John Deere engine. You can usually tell if that's the case by the number of wires going to the sending unit. If there are 2 wires, jump them together and see if the problem goes away. If so, the sending unit is bad. Keep in mind, you would have to have the same type sending unit set up for a replacement.

Last edited:

707pc50

Feb 7, 2015
Arcata california
That's what we are gonna try, have another sending unit on a parts machine that was working when it was shutdown, hopefully it works. From there I guess we'll pressure test at the port, if new sender doesn't do it. Not to sure where to go from there but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just a note: The threads on that port for the sending unit is British (BSPT) and if you thread a standard pipe (NPT) thread in there it can ruin the threads.

707pc50

Feb 7, 2015
Arcata california
Ok cool thanks for the tip, so far running good with new sender if we have a problem again we will be careful of the threads. Hopefully we don't have to go there