bent read PTO shaft on B6000 - bend it back with it on the tractor?

nav0239

Equipment
B6000, B219 loader, 619B backhoe
Jan 4, 2015
Camano Island, WA
on my newly acquired B6000, when I put on the backhoe hydraulic pump on the rear PTO, it vibrates a lot. I found out the PTO shaft is bent by ~1-2mm at the tail end.

I am toying the idea of using a PTO adapter and some large metal pipe to bend it back with it right on the tractor. Will the transmission handle this? Considering that the previous owner has it bent somehow without damaging anything (?) is it a possible option?

Has anybody done similar thing?

If I take it off, I cannot easily find an anchor point to hold it for that kind of force.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I dont reccomend it. Sure, it got bent somehow, but pull it the wrong way (up,down or sideways) may crack housing. It may be better to find a replacement. Other option is to relocate oump with a driveshaft.
My 50-no,60 year old tractor pto shaft shakes too. Pump hangs on a chain and runs my loader. Thing is-it still works fine. Also you should never run it above the reccomended 540 pto speed,beyond that is just wasting fuel and doing more harm than good.

May want to try taking it to a machine shop, a little heat and a press may be all it takes. Or, they could make it worse.

nav0239

Equipment
Jan 4, 2015
Camano Island, WA
Only pull it down, maybe?

I talked to one machine shop already. They said that any transmission shaft is likely hardened and don't want even to look at it. So i have not taken it off yet. Finding a replacement may be hard or expensive I suspect for this 40 year old tractor.

nav0239

Equipment
Jan 4, 2015
Camano Island, WA
OK, I hear you. Just looked it up. It's part #66601-14512. I will look for a replacement, or see if there is a machine shop willing to fix it.

Thanks all!

nav0239

Equipment
Jan 4, 2015
Camano Island, WA
Just got another idea. I can take it off, heat and straighten it. I know the heat is going to affect the hardness. But the shaft should not have any probelm handle that little pump!? The backhoe is the only thing using that PTO for now.