rebuilt engine, amsoil full synthetic for breakin?

primerk5

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
As stated in the subject Im just about finished rebuilding a d722 diesel. The owner ran amsoil full synthetic 15-45 diesel oil in it and gave me some after I get it done. I've heard it takes longer to break in an engine on full synthetic. Is there any truth to that. Should I ho ahead and use it or go pick up some rotella?

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I've also read that. However, you aren't breaking in a new engine, so you may want to begin with the synthetic straight off. In a rebuild, I think the only parts you would be concerned about would be the rings. If you re-sleeved the cylinders and installed new rings, then you might want to use natural oil to get the rings to seat more quickly. I think ("Danger, Will Robinson!") that if you installed new rings but did not sleeve the cylinders, you would be fine going with synthetic immediately.

Congrats on the rebuild! Please keep us posted on your next steps and any issues.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As stated in the subject Im just about finished rebuilding a d722 diesel. The owner ran amsoil full synthetic 15-45 diesel oil in it and gave me some after I get it done. I've heard it takes longer to break in an engine on full synthetic. Is there any truth to that. Should I ho ahead and use it or go pick up some rotella?
Absolute hog wash - synthetic is not slicker.......just better!!!! GO ahead and use it. People make up stuff about oils, the bottom line is that synthetic will not break down as fast as "conventional oil" and it will be better for your engine due to viscosity when cold. Now make sure you USE a synthetic DIESEL oil....not a gasoline oil....diesel oils have a little different make up due to the amount of blow by and particles in burning diesel.

Many high end engines use synthetic from the factory - true is cost a pretty penny but i my opinion worth every penny:D:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well I figure if M1 sync come from the factory in a new Viper and Vett it aint gona hurt your little motor none

primerk5

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
Well I figure if M1 sync come from the factory in a new Viper and Vett it aint gona hurt your little motor none
Synthetic it is. I got a new challenger with a few weeks ago and it had full synthetic in it which is part of why I started to question what appears to an old wives tail. Thanks for the help

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
BMWs, like a lot of cars, come with synthetic from the factory.

Continental and Lycoming recommend mineral oil for break-in of aircraft engines.

Wonder why? Air cooling (actually "oil" cooling) perhaps?

:)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Was not long ago, dino oil for 15000 miles then switch to synthetic.
Its all opinion now. I dont see any gain in using it considering expense and service intervals. Longer service equals longer neglect. Im not pointing fingers here in OTT, but i have seen the results of not taking the time do do periodic inspections. That synthetic wont save you when leaks develop.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Yeah!

People are buying into the mileage "computer" analysis on oil changes here and abroad as a way to save the climate. BMW suggests initial oil intervals of up to 15,000 mi are OK. :eek:

How about saving the motor and allowing it to operate the most efficient over the longest period of time and having each motor live as long a life as possible before it needs to go to a recycler and be replaced?

My 4Runner, for example, has 160K on the clock and the motor burns zero oil and emits only 1/4 of the allowed pollutants at each emissions test. From all indications, its just getting broken in.

My wife got soooo pissed at the idiotic "cash for clunkers" program we had here in the States a few years back. Many were perfectly good cars that needed a little TLC. How much environmental damage was caused by having to replace those vehicles? They weren't "clunkers." The program was a clunker.

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
In my opinion, the frequency of oil changes affects the longevity of an engine more than the oil used. I have a company-provided 2003 F150 4x4 with a small V8. It has 307,000 miles on it and doesn't use oil. The engine sounds like it did the day I got it. No special oils have been used, just have it changed every 3,500-4,000 miles at the nearby "wash-n-lube".

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
I've always used Rotella 15-40 in my diesels. No engine problems at all. My jeep grand Cherokee has 183k on it. I use Quaker State 10-30 in it. Never any engine problems. I think the key to engine life is regular maintenance schedules.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had a 1983 Nissan Maxima with a diesel in it. Bought it in 1985 with about 18,000 miles on it.

I changed the oil filter with one from the dealership one time. It took a contortionist monkey to change it, and it cost $19.00 back then.

I then added a Frantz Oil filter. Changed the filter about every two weeks because I was driving 400-800 miles a week.

Sold the care, still running fine, with 360,000 miles on it.

Oh, I used John Deere 50-Plus oil. And the Frantz used toilet paper rolls, which I bought a a restaurant supply by the case.

Now lets argue about toilet paper filters!!!!

primerk5

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
Oh, I used John Deere 50-Plus oil. And the Frantz used toilet paper rolls, which I bought a a restaurant supply by the case.

Now lets argue about toilet paper filters!!!!
Had to google that. Wow, just wow....

I normally change my oil once a year or at 3000 miles whatever comes first in my vehicles. aside from my Dodge Challenger, everything i run still uses non synthetic oil. Both this engine (D722) and the engine in my B7200 (D950) both had connecting rod bearing failure. Both engines were serviced with amsoil Full Synthetic pretty regularly and still had a failure, though i'm not sure i can attribute the failure to engine wear or lack of lubrication.

I was told that kubota engines can have bearing issues like this if they over heat and we are pretty sure that is what happened with the D722 engine which resides in a steiner 430 max. Owner's brother didn't notice the temp light on till it started knocking.

Looks like kubota shorted me the dang valve cover gasket. I hope to pick that up today. Then i can see if I got this thing back together right and hear it run on all 3 instead of 2.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Warning lights- put an aircraft landing light with a red lens on wood processor oil sensor and powered it through a relay. Broad daylight and that 4" lamp is blinding. Need something like that in the wife's car.

Frequency of oil change is the key. Read a story of a garage keeper that changed oil every 2000 miles. At 100,000 he tore it down and no ridges and cross-hatch was cleary visible.

I knew people that bought new vehicles, never changed oil til just before traded in. The mentality was dont spend a dime unless absolutely necessary. Next owners problem.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Well, I'll bite. My 1998, Dakota had synthetic in it at 2,000mi. It did not break in until almost 70,000 miles. Break in defined as an increase in fuel economy AND power. We had a Van with a carbureted 318 (same engine as the Dakota) that my father ran on Dino oil until he saw the increase then switched to synthetic. It broke in at 13,000 miles.

I had believed the 'synthetic from the start' crowd and changed my first change at 2K. Looking back, that was a mistake. It cost me more in fuel and oil changes. Also, big mistake going to platinum plugs, gave my poor ol' 318 fits I thought were other issues. Cost me more for the plugs, wires, dist caps, rotors, coil, valve work, etc. Switched back to good ol' Copper plugs and all the issues vanished.

So, I've found the more traditional approach to be more effective for me, at least on the larger engines. I'll stick with regular oil until break in and then switch to synthetic on big motors.

Now, if you pay attention to the factory specs, even on those expensive BMW's, the engines are factory broke in so you don't need to start with dino oil at all, according to the factory. So take it for what you like. I took it at face value and my 2007 Caliber has had synthetic in it from the first change. Then again, at 1.8L it's so weak I wouldn't notice a break in change! Does get great gas mileage though.

olhntr

Equipment
2000 L3010
Nov 3, 2011
Eau Claire, MI.
General advise has been that if you rebuild an engine with a flat tappet lifters and put in a new cam and lifters, you should use a break in oil designed for this purpose. It will contain more so called impurities like zinc which aid in lubrication and insure you don't flatten the camshaft lobes. Most, if not all, new engines in automobiles use roller lifters/roller cams that don't require the extra break in protection. There are several oils designed as break in oils for older motor rebuilds, Royal Purple makes a good one as do others.