PTO Clutch Replacement on L345DT?

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
I have an L345DT with the dual-stage dry clutch, and the 540 PTO won't work. I had a post about it before, and everything that I was told leads me to the clutch. I wondered about it when I bought the tractor, as there is a ton of dead space for the drive clutch, and then it engages in the last inch or so of travel. I've adjusted the clutch according to the manual, but it's pretty much the same. What I'm wondering is if there is a manual or procedure out there to do the clutch replacement. I do have a loader and a cab on it, and I know that it's going to be a PITB, but I need to do it, as only the 1000 rpm PTO works (kind of, it never disengages when I press in the clutch), and when I do my tilling this spring, the tiller can't do that speed.
I have shopped around for a clutch, but I haven't found the entire setup, and I'd like to get everything at one place just for simplicity's sake.

Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Check your PM inbox for a link to the WSM.

I worry that you might be in for bigger more involved issues, as why would the 1000RPM work and not the 540 RPM, they are the same clutch???

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
That WSM has saved me in the past! Thanks again.
I too am worried that something else is wrong, but I wanted to start with the clutch, because the 1000RPM PTO never disengages. When I push in the clutch and try to shift the lever, it grinds like the clutch isn't disengaging. When I put it back to the 540RPM, I can see the PTO jump a few times like it's trying to engage, but it never does. When I noticed that, I was worried that something is wrong in the transmission itself. But, I don't think I'll know unless I start with the clutch.
Or, am I going about it wrong?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sound like it's in the PTO shift fork or something in there is broken, worn, out of place or bent.
Try testing in reverse, with the tractor off, try turning the PTO shaft at the rear, you should be able to move the lever to the middle and get Neutral so the shaft free wheels.
Also the PTO lever should have distinct stops, low, neutral, high, if your not getting that your going to need to jump into the rest of the transmission too.
I'm not saying it doesn't have a bad clutch, that too sounds like a problem.
Your going to have to split either way.

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
I was afraid of that. I can get a distinct fell going into the 1000RPM side, but I don't get anything in the 540 side. Ugh. I don't mind doing it, but with the loader and cab, it's not going to be fun :(

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
I checked everything out using the lever, and I get distinct stops at each setting, but the 540 selection spins freely just like in neutral, and the 1000 rpm selection holds solid. Soooo, it looks like I'll be tearing into the transmission too. This should be fun with a cab and a loader!

retiredlawnboy

Equipment
M6800, L245DT, L245H, Gravely 816T with Cab and Wing Mower, 5665, 1960s Li
Nov 24, 2014
Danville, OH 43014
I had similar issues with my L245DT. I have been using a tiller on it for several years and tilling a lot with it. The age of these tractors and the combination of tilling with them equates to warn disks in the override (pto) clutch. You will be able to use higher speeds for a while but they too will fail. Cracking the tractor in the middle is the hardest of the procedure. Sliding out the clutch assembly off of the shaft and replacing is the easiest.

Replacement assemblies run $1600 from the dealer, used maybe $800. The disks if you want to disassemble are only a couple hundred. I was lucky enough to find a parts tractor and got the whole transmission/differential for $250!

If you have the opportunity while it is open to replace the fork. It sounds as if it is bent slightly.

Tilling is the hardest on the override clutch because you are always pushing through the dirt as opposed to mowing. After that replacement I have opted to turn over the soil with a set of plows and only cultivate with the tiller to save from having to crack the tractor again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What retiredlawnboy is referring to is a Sprag clutch setup it not an over ride clutch, its a one way clutch, and no disks just a drum and one way bearing (Sprag bearing) and no the L345 does not have that setup, in fact it doesn't look like it has any one way set up in it?

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
Thanks for the help everyone!
I did get a hold of the resident tractor guy, and while he had never worked on a Kubota before, he took on the challenge and got everything squared away.
There were two gears in the PTO (low speed), that were shot, and he replaced those as well as my clutch. The transmission clutch was worn to the rivets, the PTO side looked brand new.
Now, I feel a very distinct transition from the transmission clutch into the PTO clutch. Before, there was nothing, and it didn't grab until about the last 1/8" of travel in the pedal. Now, it has good grab, the PTO works like a dream, and I can till like a madman!