Another 3 point wont go down L285

stugotz

Equipment
L285
Apr 15, 2015
Tampabay Florida
New to the tractor world. Just bought an L285 with a loader that runs and drives for $500 to use around my warehouses and home. Since Im not a tractor guy I have had to figure out the controls which has not been hard. Last weekend I replaced all the hyd hoses for the loader and to my surprize the hyd system has gear oil in it. OK I came here to OTT and was able to see that was OK. Now Im at the stage of getting used to my tractor and the 3 point wont go down. I have loosened the speed adjustment under the seat to the fast side and moved the lever next to the seat all the way forward and it still wont lower the 3 point.

Im about ready to take the 6 bolt cover off the speed adjustment to see if there is a stuck valve but before I do just wanted to ask questions to see if Im missing something.

Some questions I have.....is the 3 point lowering a function that requires the engine running or does it work like an engine hoist ram where after you release the pressure gravity would allow the arms to come down with weight on it?

Also wondering does fluid level cause this? It is low but the loader hydraulics work fine and im guessing that low fluid will not make the 3 point lock up.

To recap I have turned the speed adjustment counter clockwise to "F" and several positions between F and S and nothing happens when I move the lever next to the seat on the RH side up or down. The upper bars are rock solid and wont budge with me standing on them.

Any help is appreciated.

I may be slow responding today as I found a box blade about 2 hours away from me and leaving work early today to pick it up....another deal $50 from a freind's dad that had an extra one.

Thanks OTT

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Lowering of the three point hitch is controlled by gravity. Could be stuck in the up position from lack of use and possibly rusted. I would try leaving the control in the lowered position and hook a draw bar to the three point arms. Soak all joints with penetrating oil. Then hang weight off the draw bar. Stand on it, jump on it or give it some love with a bfh :D

One other thought. Directly opposite where the control arm for the three point hitch attaches to the housing is a feed back rod. Need to check and see if it's still hooked up.

Last edited:

stugotz

Equipment
L285
Apr 15, 2015
Tampabay Florida
The feedback bar is hooked up from what I can see. I plan on buying a box blade today so I can use my forklift to get it up into position and just let the weight of it try and bring down the hitch. The tractor didnt see alot of use so being rusted is a good possibility. Thanks for your input.

stugotz

Equipment
L285
Apr 15, 2015
Tampabay Florida
Picked up my box blade and got it mounted to the 3 point. Still wont go down even jumping on it and taking it for a bouncy ride. I have tried the speed valve in different positions and move the up/down lever a bunch too. Does anyone have any tips before I start taking things apart?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Check a few other things -
You state it as "rock solid" so I will assume you have tried to move it up and down with no movement at all.

Check to ensure that the position control handle on the tractor is actually connected to the control lever (rod into tractor) and that the rod is actually moving as it goes into the tractor case.

Ensure that you are not confusing a draft control handle with the 3 point control handle (Doubtful but possible).

Spray the rock shafts (short shafts that raise the lower arms) with penetrating oil where it goes into the tractor case. See if they will start to move a bit - may be rusted in place due to lack of use.

stugotz

Equipment
L285
Apr 15, 2015
Tampabay Florida
Thanks Russell. Last night I got home and the owners manual I ordered off ebay came in and I can now see the breakdown of the mechanical part of the lift system and I bet the piston is rusted to the cylinder. I was able to get the arms to flex up and down about 1/8" when jumping on the boxblade so its not seized on the outside from what I can see. Looks like I need to take the unit apart and look inside for my problem. The previous owner of the tractor said he never used the 3 point hitch so I think im on the right track...just now gotta get dirty.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Thats why I like to "excersize" my equipment, periodically. Like engaging 4wd in my truck once a month to keep things from seizing up. Or idling my soon-to-be for sale L175, keeping battery charged and working the 3pt hitch. I am a firm believer that if something sits for too long, more problems will arise. When you free it up, you'll be surprised how strong the 3pt hitch is on these older machines. Loving my B7610, but Im pretty sure my "Ol" L could lift it in its entirety with 3pt hitch.