Does this filter look right?

Mike B

Equipment
G1260-RS48, B2100
Jul 7, 2013
Skagit Co. WA
Hi All,

My G-2160 mower is losing power again after a few minutes of mowing. The RPMs drop way down, and if I disengage the PTO they'll pick back up and the engine runs smooth. I thought the dealer got this licked last year when they changed out the fuel pump, filters, and flushed the fuel tank... but after 50 hours of use the problem is back with a vengence.

Anyway - l'm looking at the back fuel filter that sits at a cockeyed angle behind the left rear tire and it's not competley full of fuel... in fact it's mostly empty. The lower side goes to the fuel pump and the higher side comes from the tank. The picture shows the level with the engine off - when it's running the level looks even lower. This doesn't seem right to me... what do you think?

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Well, fuel looks low in filter
Saying that, those fuel filters usually run 1/2 full. If they are restricted they will run full. Unless plugged.
Most likely pickup screen in tank is dirty or fuel line has a pinhole/loose clamp.
But im suspicious, 50 hours is what- maybe 5 tanks of fuel?
Chances are you have a polluted/dirty jug or fuel supply tank.
I dont even want to go there,assuming fuel container is clean and never looking inside- this will bite you every time.
Its incredible how much stuff accumulates in neglected fuel cans. Is just that i have been bitten by this before, red cans are taboo for my diesel fuel. Yellow jugs are so easy to inspect for contaminants when empty.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It seems like there's a blockage before the filter causing it to starve. Have you checked to see if the filter fills up when running the fuel pump, but not starting the machine? You can try disconnecting the filter and blowing compressed air back into the tank. It will temporarily remove a blockage. And at least give you an idea of which direction to go

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
You may be on the right track, look for a piece of debris in the tank. Lets just enough fuel through to keep it starving for fuel...:D

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
This same problem is found on my BX, sme filter also. I suspect they are much finer than those on larger tractors. I'm also playing with a "cure" for bacteria in the tank. No word yet if that was it.

Mike B

Equipment
G1260-RS48, B2100
Jul 7, 2013
Skagit Co. WA
A big thanks to everyone who took time to respond. I finally took the tank out and flushed it... there was a fair amount of debris in there - mostly doug fir needles and buds. Apparently the dealer lied to me (or did a really poor job) when they claimed they had flushed the tank on the first go round.

Also, if anyone else does this, I'd highly recommend blowing some compress air down the supply outlet on the tank like Daren suggested... I couldn't believe how much additional debris that produced after briskly swishing desiel around the tank was producing clean results. Really glad I didn't call it a day without doing that step.

I bought this rig used - and apparently the previous owner was not real careful with fuel... might be why it was on the market with only 200 hours on it :rolleyes: It's going to be a great rig once I get the bugs from poor maintenance ironed out :D

I'll post a last follow-up when I get it back together and put a few hours on it.

Thanks again for the helpful guidance everyone.

Last edited: