More m9000 fuel problems

Kabo

Jan 28, 2015
Ky
Ok I've been fighting this kubota since January and have tried everything I can think of. Engine is not getting fuel. I finally had it running at idle for 45 min today, shut it off, restarted and ran for bout 5 seconds before dying and once again is not getting fuel. I've already done: clearing the vent tubes in both tanks, cleared all lines, cleaned sediment bowl, new fuel filter, new lift pump, drained tanks. I've also tried bypassing the sediment bowl. Nothing seems to work, I'm so aggravated with this tractor. Sometimes when I can work on it long enough to get it running it will be at full throttle at 500 rpm. Sometimes it will run great for 45 min or so then starve for fuel again. When it is running the sediment bowl only stays about half full. Btw it's a 2003 m9000 cab 4x4 with 1500 hours. Somebody please give me some suggestions before I roll it off a cliff. Thanks

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Have you been able to check the inside of the fuel tanks? How bout any hose barbs, or banjo fittings on the fuel lines if equipped?

Last edited:

Kabo

Jan 28, 2015
Ky
My next thought was to try to look in the tank but I'm not real sure how to, there's no access plate to look inside that I'm aware of just the small drain bolt on the bottom of the tanks, if there is a way somebody please tell me

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Fuel cutoff malfunctioning? Alternate fuel supply is a simple enough test, could even use jerry can and a fuel line just below lift pump. Just cant move tractor.

Kabo

Jan 28, 2015
Ky
I have ran it out of a fuel can and got it to run, switched it back over and it continued to run for a good while. The shut off solenoid is working. Any ideas why the sediment bowl only stays half full while running?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have ran it out of a fuel can and got it to run, switched it back over and it continued to run for a good while. The shut off solenoid is working. Any ideas why the sediment bowl only stays half full while running?
Most sediment bowls run full. So maybe a air leak.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
When you ran it out of the can where did you hook the fuel line?
Was it before the primary filter or where?
It makes me want to think either it's sucking air or maybe even a fuel line is collapsing.
Do any of the lines look wet?

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 L245DT w/1700 FEL, 2003 L3130 HST,w/ LA723 loader,,and L2174A snowblower
Just another longshot, but I have seen firsthand where upon pushing a hose onto a fitting, a *flap* of hose is torn loose and blocks the passage.
Worth a look for all you've gone through.

Kabo

Jan 28, 2015
Ky
When I ran it out of the can i bypassed the settling bowl and went straight to the lift pump. None of the lines were wet. When we disconnected the lines out of the bowl the nipples for the fuel lines were loose and one practically fell out, I glued them back in place since there are no o rings. Thought that might have been the problem but that didn't work either. Somehow the bowl will fill itself up after it sits not running for a while. But when running stays bout half full

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Somehow the bowl will fill itself up after it sits not running for a while. But when running stays bout half full

Sounds as if fuel is restricted from tank to water separator. I would install new rubber fuel lines from thank to inj pump if you haven't already done so. Is fuel return line from inj pump to tank open IE not plugged? Have you considered installing an electric fuel lift pump?

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I'd run an inspection camera into the empty tank, and post the video, If I knew how... I'm betting there is a obstruction near the fuel outlet, in the tank. Under no demand, it lets a little fuel go to the bowl, but when fuel demand is higher, it sucks the obstruction tight against the outlet. I've seen bumble bees, leaves, clover heads all do this. Someone posted a picture of light bulb on another thread here, within the past week.

Back to that camera, HF has 'em pretty cheap, I used one to diagnose a missing freeze plug, on my L-185. The head was too big to fit in the block, correctly, but the angle if sight was such that I could see a partial image of the hole where the plug should have been...

Anyway, here's that link: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=inspection+camera :D

Kabo

Jan 28, 2015
Ky
Can anybody tell me what size those fuel lines are and how many feet I might need? Think I might give that a shot. The return line is not clogged. I do have access to a borescope to look in the tank

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Can anybody tell me what size those fuel lines are and how many feet I might need? Think I might give that a shot. The return line is not clogged. I do have access to a borescope to look in the tank
Probably your best bet would be to measure the OD of the hose you have on it, in the middle, away from hose clamp bulges. Also note what the hose looks like or take a picture, on your phone. Then go to an auto parts place, and ask for diesel resistant fuel return hose, in the same size.:D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Might try taking the line loose at your primary filter, the feed side from the tank. Run you a line from a can and let it feed into the primary filter that way if this works you know for sure the filter system is working correctly. That won't leave anything but the line back to the tank and inside the tank itself.

When you tried the electric pump, where did you hook it in the fuel line?

You said you already drained the tanks. What if anything did you find when you did this?

When you cleared the vent lines, were they plugged up? If so did you blow the trash bad into the tank or work it out the end with a wire or whatever?

Do you still have the primary filter you replaced so it can be cut open and see what's inside? Could give you a clue what you're dealing with.

When you replaced the primary filter did you use the pump on top of the filter base to prime the system? I only ask to insure you know it's working. I have seen those pumps go bad and it will stop the fuel from flowing to the filters.

As far as the water separator filling while it's not running. My guess is the engine is trying to suck the fuel thru the system. When it's off it hold enough vacuum on the lines to fill the bowl.

Since it's going to be such a challenge to see in the tank with a camera I would save that till last. If you can get a line hooked up that feeds your primary filter and everything works fine then you have it narrowed down to one single line coming from the tank. At least then you'll know where your problem is. Keep us posted.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If you can pull the tank, do it. Just empty it and dump out any crap that has built up in there. I've seen exactly what you are describing from tanks that are shedding rust or internal paint chips.

Your sediment bowl problem is probably the suction releasing vapor (a form of cavitation) from the fuel. It means the starvation is likely before the sediment bowl, or the tank. It could be a bad shut off valve as well, but you said you bypassed that assembly.

I would take off the tank, clean the crap out of it, replace ALL the hoses and the sediment bowl assembly, they are cheap enough and you have no idea what's gummed up or plugged up with what. Get a clear fuel filter in line after the sediment bowl and keep stock of a few new ones to swap out.

If the tank is rusting, keep the tank full and use fuel additives to kill the water in the fuel. If it's peeling paint, have it sandblasted out. If you have money to burn, buy a nice polished stainless steel tank and have matching braided fuel lines with chromed equipment... that will look great

Kabo

Jan 28, 2015
Ky
Ok so today I drained the tank once again. While the plug was out I blew compressed air though it. Got a little debris out, nothing major. I replaced the o ring in the fuel bowl and ran new hose from the tank to the bowl. Bled the system and it is running good for now, I didn't have time to let it run very long. I'll run it some more tomorrow. Fingers crossed, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. It's ran good for a couple days straight on a few occasions so time will tell. Thanks to everyone who took the time out to give advice, you guys are awesome. I'll keep you posted

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
I had the same problem (symptoms) you're having. The problem was in the line from the tank to the bowl. Somehow I picked up some fibrous looking junk that partially stopped the flow of fuel. It took some time, but I finally worked it all out by using a wire and milking the debris out. Mine would run ok for a while then start gasping for fuel. Very aggravating until I got the junk out.
Good luck!