New to me L3600

Confused8122

Equipment
L3600
Oct 26, 2014
Marquette, mi
I just picked up a L3600GST. I got a snowblower with it, and plan on using the tractor, blower, and loader around the yard. We get a lot of snow up here, and the wife has 2 horses, so I can find a lot of use for this.
I have a few problems with it, I don't think anything major, but a few little things.
1. The tach doesn't work. Cable seems ok, but needle on gauge doesn’t move.
Any ideas?
2. Lights don't work
3. Glow plug indicator stays on
4. Front axle leak

I plan on getting a shop manual for this and tackling all this myself. Then I saw the cost of the book. I know it will be worth it, but I can't afford it right now. I have seen a few websites offering to download a digital copy for a few bucks, has anyone here ever done this? It seems kinda sketchy, but not necessarily a scam. I hate to be the first though.

I have read about the glow plug problem and axle problem on this site, and a few others, but for glow plug and headlights problem, does anyone know where I could find a good wiring diagram? .

The leak will just have to leak for a bit.

Nick

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just picked up a L3600GST. I got a snowblower with it, and plan on using the tractor, blower, and loader around the yard. We get a lot of snow up here, and the wife has 2 horses, so I can find a lot of use for this.
I have a few problems with it, I don't think anything major, but a few little things.
1. The tach doesn't work. Cable seems ok, but needle on gauge doesn’t move.
Any ideas?
2. Lights don't work
3. Glow plug indicator stays on
4. Front axle leak

I plan on getting a shop manual for this and tackling all this myself. Then I saw the cost of the book. I know it will be worth it, but I can't afford it right now. I have seen a few websites offering to download a digital copy for a few bucks, has anyone here ever done this? It seems kinda sketchy, but not necessarily a scam. I hate to be the first though.

I have read about the glow plug problem and axle problem on this site, and a few others, but for glow plug and headlights problem, does anyone know where I could find a good wiring diagram? .

The leak will just have to leak for a bit.

Nick

Nick,

pull the cable OUT of the tach, and see if (mechanical type) if it spins, while the tractor is running ............that will lead you to the next step.

glow plug staying on, i hope that is not a switch problem, which way does the glow switch work? on my BX i turn it clockwise and hold, then finish turning to fire, on my older B i turn it ccw and hold, then switch back to cw to start......

fixing the light.........get a volt ohm meter, see if you are getting voltage to the light socket, hell check both the bulbs......and the fuse(s).......ought to find the problem somewhere along that line.

where on the front axle ? take a picture and show us , someone here can point out the problem!!

Confused8122

Equipment
L3600
Oct 26, 2014
Marquette, mi
I didn't check if the tach cable spins, but I did unhook it and the inner cable is in one piece. It's cold and rainy out, so more verification will have to wait.

Lights, missing both front bulbs, and sockets. New stuff ordered.

Axle seal, lf wheel. I would call it the knuckle to axle seal. I would get pictures, but it's cold and rainy out.

Glow plugs. The light comes on and stays on randomly. It is supposed to be all automatic.

Thanks for the help so far.

Nick

Confused8122

Equipment
L3600
Oct 26, 2014
Marquette, mi
I got parts for lights, and they are all working.

I checked, the tach cable did spin with the engine, and the hour meter worked. One other note was that the needle was way past max, not at 0. I pulled the panel off to disassemble the gauge, when I turned it upside down, something came free. The needle moved to 0, i put it all back together, and it works as supposed to!

After research, I am guessing that the glow plug controller was bad, so I wired a momentary switch to the relay and the dash. So I have manual glow plugs and the indicator light on the panel lights with the plugs.
I am completely ok with that.

I have a service manual ordered.

Last edited:

Nickk

Equipment
L3600 Kubota
Jan 24, 2023
Auburn, Indiana
I got parts for lights, and they are all working.

I checked, the tach cable did spin with the engine, and the hour meter worked. One other note was that the needle was way past max, not at 0. I pulled the panel off to disassemble the gauge, when I turned it upside down, something came free. The needle moved to 0, i put it all back together, and it works as supposed to!

After research, I am guessing that the glow plug controller was bad, so I wired a momentary switch to the relay and the dash. So I have manual glow plugs and the indicator light on the panel lights with the plugs.
I am completely ok with that.

I have a service manual ordered.
I have the glow plug issue. where did you wire the switch in? Wire colors?
thanks

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have the glow plug issue. where did you wire the switch in? Wire colors?
thanks
The controller is $150+ from Kubota. I bought a clone on eBay for $39, they're $32 now. They copied it right down to the 'Made in Japan' embossed in the case.