G6200 not running

FriendshipUSA

Equipment
G6200
Nov 1, 2014
Friendship, Maryland
My Kubota G6200 garden tractor was running well until it stopped after running at idle for about 4-mins. Now I can't get it started. The engine cranks oddly. It cranks from normal speed to slow (compression?) and back to normal. I swapped out the starter and also jumped the battery with a heavy set of jumper cables. There was no change. Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to test or fix it? Does the G6200 have a decompression value? If so where is it? Perhaps it is stuck closed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My Kubota G6200 garden tractor was running well until it stopped after running at idle for about 4-mins. Now I can't get it started. The engine cranks oddly. It cranks from normal speed to slow (compression?) and back to normal. I swapped out the starter and also jumped the battery with a heavy set of jumper cables. There was no change. Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to test or fix it? Does the G6200 have a decompression value? If so where is it? Perhaps it is stuck closed.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sounds like something is "hanging" on one of the cylinders.... ring broken, valve sticking or hitting? Does it spin slow at the same place in the cycle? crank crank slow crank crank? if you know what I mean? Might need a compression test.......
Or pop the valve cover off and turn the engine over, making sure all the valves are doing what they are supposed to do......report back what you find.

Grumpy560

Equipment
1979 B7100D 4WD with B219 loader/ 3 G6200 HST mowers/ JD 310D 4X4 backhoe
Oct 18, 2014
Estill Springs TN,
The G6200 does not have a decompression feature. When my G6200 did this it was the electric fuel pump that failed. The pump is located in front of the fuel tank on the right side if you are standing behind the unit. Also check the fuel filter. If you can hear the electric pump then check the filter first.

FriendshipUSA

Equipment
G6200
Nov 1, 2014
Friendship, Maryland
85Hokie,
Thank you for help. As recommended:
1) the valve cover was removed and the engine cranked. The all valves move and operated well. There are no sticking valves.
2) When the engine is cranking there are 2-locations that it slow down. The positions are separated by about 120 degrees.
3) I have not done a compression test.

I have videos of the valve movement and the rotating harmonizing pulley during engine cranking. The zip files however are too big to attached to this forum.

Phil

Last edited:

FriendshipUSA

Equipment
G6200
Nov 1, 2014
Friendship, Maryland
The G6200 does not have a decompression feature. When my G6200 did this it was the electric fuel pump that failed. The pump is located in front of the fuel tank on the right side if you are standing behind the unit. Also check the fuel filter. If you can hear the electric pump then check the filter first.
Thanks,

The fuel flow to the second filter attached to the engine was flowing well and confirmed that this filter was not clogged. When I cranked the engine I did notice small puffs (unburned diesel) coming out of the muffler. So I believe the fuel is getting to the engine.

Phil