Problems with height adjustment on B 2920 60" belly mower

NathanFry

Equipment
B2920
Apr 24, 2011
Illinois USA
Guys,
I'm new here but I found this web site by searching for Kubota information. I bought a new B2920 tractor last year with a 60 belly mower on it. Toward the end of the summer as I lowered the deck I noticed the height adjustment would turn a notch down (go from 3" to 2.75") then as I mowed it would continue to get shorter. The shop put a new turn dial on it and latching lever this spring as they were both worn. I just mowed for the first time with it sense the parts were replaced and i've got the same issue, I set it on 3" as I lowered the deck it turned to 2.75" then clear down to 2" by the time I made my first pass! Just curious if anyone else has had this issue or not? I would take it back to the shop again but they are 90 minutes away and I'm wondering if this is something I can fix myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kubota Tank

Equipment
BX2200, 2004
Apr 24, 2011
Lillie, LA
I have a simalar problem only thing is my 60" deck goes down to about 3" but no lower. I think I am in need of the part replacement you have had done. But I am interested in what you find out. Sorry I do not have a soultion for you.

candoarms

Equipment
B2920 60" Mid Deck Mower, loader, blade, rake, planter, tiller, snow blower
Jun 8, 2012
Cando, ND, USA
I found a similar problem on my B2920 mower deck adjustment. Each time I lowered the deck, the knob would turn on its own, going lower and lower each time.

I discovered that this problem was due to the shape of the "ear" on the adjustment stop lever. As the deck is lowered, the ear on the lever comes into contact with the spiral adjustment barrel. The ear on the lever tends to force the barrel to turn when it's not supposed to. This is due to a very dull and rounded off ear on the lever.

I solved this problem by first welding a short section of a triangular file onto the lever, much like the peak on a roof-line. I then used a matching triangular file to file out the corresponding notches in the adjustment barrel. Problem solved. The sharp peak on the lever now positively engages the barrel and stays where it is supposed to. No more problems.

Since a file is made of some very hard metal, I don't expect it to ever wear out.

Welding a file to the lever ear will change the mower deck height, unless you first grind off a small portion of the lever ear, which I did. Removing some metal is necessary anyway, as you'll want to have a flat spot to weld the file to. If my mower deck adjustment knob is set at a 2.5" cut, I may now be cutting at 2.75", but this isn't terribly important to me. With a little more time and patience, this simple modification could be precisely calibrated to the numbers on the setting knob.

It is critical that the file be welded to the lever ear in the correct spot, so as to end up hitting dead center in barrel grooves. This is important so as not to cause any misalignment with the setting knob detents.

With this small modification in place, I no longer have any problem with the mower deck adjustment..........but time will tell if this was a permanent cure.

Kubota needs to redesign this portion of the mower deck adjustment system, but with a couple of hours of tinkering the problem can be quickly fixed by most anyone.

If anyone here has any questions concerning this modification process, please contact me. I'll be happy to provide pictures, detailed explanations, etc.

Joel

Sam Sparks

Nov 1, 2014
Jackson, MO
Dear Joel I'm having same problems with my height adjustment dial on my kubota b2920 tractor even though they replaced the dial and the adjustment arm the deck keeps slipping you mentioned away to fix this problem could you send me some pictures thanks sam