Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 07-21-2014   #1
ssolid
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B1550 HST, 48" Belly Mower, MF 1670 Finish Mower. T1560 w/ 44" Deck
Default How to remove pulley from 44" deck?

I have a deck that has 2 of the 3 spindles with bad bearings.

I have the bolt off of all 3 [figured I would replace all the bearings at the same time].

I am having no luck removing the pulleys.

I see the keeper but have no clue as to how to get any of the pulleys off.

I have tried PB Baster, heat....I do not own a pulley puller. ..However it seems as though they are on so hard that I may damage the pulley.

Any suggestions on how to get these off and then how to replace the bearings would be greatly appreciated.

Ssolid
ssolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2014   #2
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Default Re: How to remove pulley from 44" deck?

Your going to have to give better or more info and pictures.
That tractor didn't come with a 44" deck, it did come with a 48", 54", and 60" deck.
Just looking at the 48" model if you removed the bolts that hold the pulleys on they should just pop right off.

Post some pictures of what your dealing with, and someone should be able to help.
North Idaho Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014   #3
ssolid
1st Yr. Apprentice

The deck is off my Kubota T1560. I can't seem to figure out how to add things to my profile.

I need to do some bearing work on my 48" deck that is on the B1550 also. Figuring on having issues with that one also. Both of these machines are new to me this summer.

Anyhow, I have attached the pictures. Not sure how to embed them in the text here.

Any help/comments/suggestions/cheap shots are gladly accepted.

Thank You.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulley3.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	12224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulley2.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	12225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulley1.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	12226  

Last edited by ssolid; 07-22-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2014   #4
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more

Thanks that helps a lot!

First if you want to change anything like equipment or such its on the top bar UserCP.

Name:	User CP.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	12228

Ok the deck your working on is a RCK44LT, First get some PB Blaster, stuff works like a charm, soak the spindles were they go threw the pulley and let them soak for a day or so, get 2 or more blocks of 4x4 wood or such, to support the deck right under the pulley (make sure the blocks are large enough that it keeps the skirt of the deck off the ground) on each side of the spindle that you want to get off, reinstall the nut will it's flush with the top of the spindle shaft, whack it real square and hard with a good sized hammer, the pulley should pop, then remove the nut and disassemble, if it still needs to be driven off more use a brass draft punch to keep the threads of the shaft from becoming damaged.
I've had many a spindle shaft that just wouldn't cooperate and had to be cut off and out, depending on the age and condition you might just have to beat the shaft out and get a new shaft and maybe even a pulley.

Last edited by North Idaho Wolfman; 07-22-2014 at 11:48 PM.
North Idaho Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #5
cb750k8
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B7200HST D 4X4

it is possible that the two holes were intended for pulley removal. If you can get a nut between pulley and frame then a steel bar with two holes drilled to spacing of pulley holes, two suitable bolts and tighten bar against shaft.

hope this is understood
cheers
cb750k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #6
Daren Todd

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L1501, Z121s, rotary cutter, 60" finish mower, back blade, homemade box blade

I made up a puller out of some scrap metal, an 11" stud and some nuts. Made it for pulling plates, but a similar set up would work for your pulleys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2014   #7
ssolid
1st Yr. Apprentice

I soaked it in PB Blaster overnight and tried again today...no luck.

That tool is exactly what I was dreaming up....I made this wood one to hold the pully so I could get the nut off the top.

I am gonna see if my buddy can weld me one up.

Any other thoughts from folks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	woodtool.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	12234  
Old 07-23-2014   #8
Wbk
3rd Yr. Apprentice

[QUOTE=ssolid;106123]I have a deck that has 2 of the 3 spindles with bad bearings.

I have the bolt off of all 3 [figured I would replace all the bearings at the same time].

I am having no luck removing the pulleys.

I see the keeper but have no clue as to how to get any of the pulleys off.

I have tried PB Baster, heat....I do not own a pulley puller. ..However it seems as though they are on so hard that I may damage the pulley.

Any suggestions on how to get these off and then how to replace the bearings would be greatly appreciated.

Ssolid[/QUOTe I had the same problem with an old Hustler in the end I had to relplace the complete spindle and pulley. But if you think the shafts are ok figure out what is cheaper shaft or pulley and if it comes to it cut the cheaper part off. Good luck Barry
Wbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #9
Russell King
Journeyman

Equipment: L185F

Keep going with the PB Blaster and patience!

You may want to try spraying it and then lightly tapping on the pulley to vibrate it and allow the penetrating fluid to soak down.

I have also hung the weight of the equipment on the pulley you are trying to get off. Then gravity is working on it 24 hours a day while you are stewing over it at work! Don't lift it too high off the floor there is no benefit over a quarter inch or so.
Russell King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #10
ssolid
1st Yr. Apprentice

I put PB on every day...hit all around on the top with a hammer....will try the suspension idea next. I am thinking this pully has never been off. The other 2 are shiny on the inner portion.

Thanks again for all the input.
I will continue to check for updates and will send info on what happens with the pulley saga.

Tags
bearing, deck, pulley, rusty, spindle