Post hole digger for B2601 - 3PH or Skid Steer type?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
OK, I read the OP...and 75 holes IS a lot so I can see why buying MIGHT be an option BUT.....contact a 'fence post installer' and get a price. He will be cheaper than buying the PHD and is SKILLED at it,done in a 1/2 day for sure.
While I know it's nice to buy 'toys', will the PHD do more holes ? When ? 2-3 years from now ?? That's $$ sitting doing nothing.....
Then there's YOUR time. Obviously there's a 'learning curve' and I doubt you'll be as fast as the pro. You could be tossing posts in while he's drilling,far more efficient use of your time. While it may be 'fun' drilling the first 4 or 5 holes, the othr 70 ain't, especially if it's a PTO style PHD !
Agreed. Alternatively, a track mounted dingo (or similar) would have those holes done easily within a day at most....more likely within a half day.

I used one many times on large commercial tree jobs despite having a backhoe attachment hanging off the back of my tractor.

AndyW

Equipment
2019 B2601 TLB
Jan 24, 2020
Kingston, WA
Agreed. Alternatively, a track mounted dingo (or similar) would have those holes done easily within a day at most....more likely within a half day.

I used one many times on large commercial tree jobs despite having a backhoe attachment hanging off the back of my tractor.
Good advice and I do see your and GreensvilleJay's point...this is why I am paying a tree service to fell about 32 of the huge/riskier trees vice buying chainsaws and such to do it myself. I'll tackle most less than 16" or so but at some point you hire a pro. I get that. But I did do about $10000 worth of the smaller stuff myself before calling in the cavalry (based on the tree services initial estimate).

In the end, I bought the EA subcompact one for about $1000. Not sure I could get 75+ holes dug for that. I suppose I could have priced it but I see a second similar pasture area on the property being fenced in the next couple of years...so I think it will get used. Plus, I like learning new skills and doing things exactly the way I want, so there is that aspect.

I do also like new toys...;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Good advice and I do see your and GreensvilleJay's point...this is why I am paying a tree service to fell about 32 of the huge/riskier trees vice buying chainsaws and such to do it myself. I'll tackle most less than 16" or so but at some point you hire a pro. I get that. But I did do about $10000 worth of the smaller stuff myself before calling in the cavalry (based on the tree services initial estimate).
That's hilarious, here we get paid for people to come in and take 32 huge trees, we don't pay them to do it! :D

ggg3988

Feb 11, 2018
olympia washington usa
I live in Olympia Wa. Soil similar I have the same tractor it’s great for what I use it for. I just hired a very efficient backhoe operator that had auger come over and work. I did my layout. He wasted no time. Very efficient. Very reasonable if I look at how long it would take me to do the same job. I didn’t need to buy auger. I don’t need to store it or maintain it. Gave me time to start setting posts. Best part is watching someone with the right equipment that uses it everyday do his thing. Good luck with the direction you go.
Gaty

AndyW

Equipment
2019 B2601 TLB
Jan 24, 2020
Kingston, WA
So I got the EA submcompact model with a 48" auger. Worked great on re-digging my mailbox posthole. Will start doing all the post holes for the pasture/turnout in the next couple of weeks. Will give a better review then.

AndyW

Equipment
2019 B2601 TLB
Jan 24, 2020
Kingston, WA
Beware an everything attachment 36" augar will only dig a 24" hole. On my BX2370.
Yep...I learned about the "lie" concerning all PHD augers. We got a 6" and 9" 48" models and they only get 32-36 consistently. But that's all we needed!

I enjoyed learning how to use the tool and we are almost done...need 5 more posts (wife will pick up tomorrow). Will be able to start tensioning and hanging the fence Tuesday.

As far as reuse...we have a second one acre area we want to fence in the fall...so it'll get used!

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
So, if you had gotten the Compact PHD, would you be able to dig deeper but just not have as much lifting power(if it gets stuck) because of a longer boom ??

AndyW

Equipment
2019 B2601 TLB
Jan 24, 2020
Kingston, WA
So, if you had gotten the Compact PHD, would you be able to dig deeper but just not have as much lifting power(if it gets stuck) because of a longer boom ??
Maybe a bit...but even with that one, I don't think I could do more than a 48" auger with a B2601 without dragging it. I talked with the salesperson at EA and we settled on this one being the correct one for my tractor.