B2100 HST wont start

pkbinc

Equipment
Kubota B2100
Feb 19, 2020
Mundelein, IL
I have a B2100 HST, which I bought 2 years ago, used. The tractor started fine with the key when bought. It started having problems and the solenoid would not engage. I pulled the starter and brought it to the Kubota dealer and they said it was the original and that it needed replacing. I replaced it and soon after the ignition switch would not start the tractor. The switch turns on and warms the glow plug but I need to jump the posts on the starter to get it started? It runs fine after that, But if I turn it off I need to jump the starter posts again.

Any suggestions??

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a B2100 HST, which I bought 2 years ago, used. The tractor started fine with the key when bought. It started having problems and the solenoid would not engage. I pulled the starter and brought it to the Kubota dealer and they said it was the original and that it needed replacing. I replaced it and soon after the ignition switch would not start the tractor. The switch turns on and warms the glow plug but I need to jump the posts on the starter to get it started? It runs fine after that, But if I turn it off I need to jump the starter posts again.

Any suggestions??
Safety interlock switch is engaged, damaged, or otherwise malfunctioning.

HST pedal switch is engaged, damaged, or otherwise malfunctioning.

Main switch or wiring is damaged.

Go to Kubotabooks.com and download the 2 part WSM (aka service manual) as it will have the troubleshooting and adjustment guide for the safety switches, and other helpful information.

Shopmaster

Premium Member

Equipment
L2500DT
Feb 5, 2020
Midwest, USA
Yes I would check all of the safety interlock switches. I had a 2120 Ford that would not start if the PTO lever had been pushed ever so slightly beyond the detent to disengage the PTO. Took me exactly one time of walking a mile to get a truck to jump start it before I figured out that one. ;)

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
How does Kubota connect all of these interlocks that would prevent the engine from starting? (ie: PTO engaged, HST pedal pressed ....) Are they connected in series? Seems like it would be a good idea to have a light to indicate that all are good while the key is in the run position.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I just wish they had a light that told me I was a dummy and still had the parking brakes applied!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
How does Kubota connect all of these interlocks that would prevent the engine from starting? (ie: PTO engaged, HST pedal pressed ....) Are they connected in series? Seems like it would be a good idea to have a light to indicate that all are good while the key is in the run position.
On the B2100 all three safety switches are wired in series.

Dave

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I just wish they had a light that told me I was a dummy and still had the parking brakes applied!
Ah yes George. Guilty of that myself. I added a microswitch to the pedal assembly and an idiot light on the dash so when I forget, the idiot light tells the idiot in the seat to release the brakes...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Every model is differnt, there is no standard.

Newer tractors are commonly parallel input to a central computer that controls it, some older models were direct series wired, others were parallel wired to an OPC, some are series wired to an OPC or just a relay, some are both parallel and series in the same tractor. ;)

Terdybukrat

Equipment
B2400, Gehl skidsteer with Kubota v2203 engine, D600 engine
Dec 10, 2017
Mebane, NC
I would try holding the clutch in & the keyswitch to the start position while moving the hi/low lever each way & then the fwd/rev pedal to neutral to see if the starter engages.I have seen one that would only start with the hi/low in neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunslandloy

Equipment
B2400HSD
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH

Any suggestions??
The safety interlock switches are notorious for coming loose an falling out of their bracket on these tractors. There are 2 nuts opposite each other on a fork bracket that hold the switch in place. Through vibration from use, the nuts back off and the switch falls out. The H-N-L transmission switch under the seat is the most problematic, but check all to be sure. I'm sure you'll see one hanging loose somewhere. Put some blue Loctite on the nuts and tighten them down. These switches rarely go bad.