My speed has gone

Sizzlerb

Equipment
B7200 HST D
May 5, 2017
Buckingham, uk
Hi All

I got my ‘ol b7200 hst going again after the weather had corroded loads of electrics and whilst cutting grass I noticed my speed getting slower and slower. I finally had my foot hard down on the pedal and was hardly moving.

I have no idea how the hst system really works but there is something clearly wrong. The PTO is driving the mower, the hydraulics work and everything else seems fine but no speed.

Could it be fluid levels? Or some sort of pressure that’s not right? Any advice would be most appreciated as I am going to have no alternative but to call in the professionals and I fear the bill may be huge.

I feel so foolish that I have no idea what to check!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Have you checked your tire pressure and Im not being funny. Low air pressure will allow the wheel to spin in the tire. The tire may look like it is OK the the side walls are pretty stiff and wont in most cases look like its low,, Just a thought,,, now if the motor is slowing down fuel filter would be the fist place to check

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Are you saying the engine does not run up to speed? If so, maybe you got some water in the fuel, or a restriction in the fuel line. Maybe you can remove a fuel line before the fuel filter and determine if fuel is flowing there. If not you have something in the fuel tanks causing a restriction. If fuel is at the first opening, then proceed towards the injection pump.

Sizzlerb

Equipment
B7200 HST D
May 5, 2017
Buckingham, uk
Hi Guys

The tyres are fine and the engine runs up to speed but the hst pedal is pressed right to the floor and I’m crawling along. If I give it more gas it makes a bit of difference but this is not normal. I checked the transmission fluid level and it seems fine ( although so clear it’s hard to tell).

I’m stumped

Sizzlerb

Equipment
B7200 HST D
May 5, 2017
Buckingham, uk
One thing. I did do about 10 mins grass cutting at the high speed of PTO by mistake . Could this have caused some sort of damage?

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
bx2200, so different machine and some of the old timers here may say I know nothing, which I don't, but here goes.

A couple of months ago, my engine would slow and die when I put a load on it (like even going up a small hill). It would start again in a couple on minutes. Then, after a few times, it would start and blow white smoke. Long story short- I changed both fuel filters. When I took the one after the fuel tank and before the fuel pump off, white stuff came out, which eventually turned to just water. Ours doesn't sit all winter under a tarp like yours did, so we must have laid our hands on some bad fuel at one of the two places we buy. Anyway, drained all the water out, then when fuel was coming out, clamped the line (mine's rubber hose), and put on both new filters. Had to purge the injectors (on mine, just loosened the front one a bit and turned the fuel pump on until fuel was squirting out. Started and ran, but then started missing again. I went and got some biocide because someone here smarter than me told me I had mold or fungus in my tank (I don't remember which and don't care too much. lol). Added the biocide and let the thing just fast idle for a half hour or so. Hopped on, kicked it in the ass, and haven't had a problem since. The other issue I had is that on my 2200, there's a connecting rod from the foot control, back to the hst behind the right rear tire (why do you have tyres, boots, torches, and WC's?). The distal end has a ball joint on it and the end that connects to the foot control just has a right angle bend with a hole for a cotter pin. My distal end was broken, so no matter how hard I pushed on the pedal, nothing happened. I've also had a stick get jammed in the foot control, which rendered it immoveable, which made it kind of hard to do anything except go in one direction.

So, if your tractor is anything like mine, I'd look the same places- it sounds like your issues are very similar to what happened here.

I also had an issue with an oil seal on the left rear axle getting popped out. I saw fluid draining out as she was digging out multi-flora roses (I hope you don't have those damn things over there!!). I told her to take it up to the house and park it. We ran it maybe 10 minutes that way. Then, I took the wheel off and tapped the seal back into place, put the wheel on, then drove it a bit. I knew it was a bit low on fluid, but decided to mow some anyway. I wasn't wearing ear plugs as I usually do, but when I turned my head, I heard an unfamiliar whine, so I parked it. I drove 40 miles to the dealer and got 2.5 us gallons of SUDT2 (thank God I didn't get a couple of quarts). I figured I'd have plenty left over if we needed to do a change or something else leaked. I started adding, confident it wouldn't take over 2 qts. When I got to 5 qts, I started to fret a bit; at 7 qts, I worried more; at 9, I begged it to be up to the mark. It was. The amazing and scary thing is that the thing was still running fine (except for the whine with the pto engaged), on only 2 or 3 or 4 quarts. Granted, it wasn't doing any "work", but still. So, if your hst is anything like mine, that's not the issue. But, I suppose you should check- maybe when they are empty they act differently (a feeble attempt at humor)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does the PTO slow down when the tractor slows down?
If it does the clutch is toast, and yes running the PTO in high range will burn the clutch disk out in a quick hurry!

If it's not slowing down at all then it's not the clutch.

There are two hydraulic screens / filters for the system and one spin on filter, most people only ever clean or change the first screen and the spin on filter, but the bulk of the work is actually done by the screen filter.

If you haven't checked or replaced the HST screen, or spin, drain and do all three with new UDT compatible fluid.

Hydraulic filter

HST filters

Attachments

Last edited:

Sizzlerb

Equipment
B7200 HST D
May 5, 2017
Buckingham, uk
Hi again

I think you might be right re the filters. The fuel is fine and the engine runs really well and the PTO doesn’t slow, but I change the transmission fluid a year ago and only changed the spin on filter ( didn’t realise there were other ones). I’d guess I’m gonna have to drain and check these other ones. Mine doesn’t get a lot of work so changing fluids doesn’t happen that often but if the filter hasn’t been changed or cleaned for five years it could well be a bit ....better!

I’ll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again

Sizzlerb

Equipment
B7200 HST D
May 5, 2017
Buckingham, uk
Hey Wolfman

Thank you ! Thank you! Drained the transmission down and got the strainers off... they were dirty. Filled up and everything’s good again. Cost zero... so very happy. Can’t thank you enough!
Happy tractorin’
Sizz

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey Wolfman

Thank you ! Thank you! Drained the transmission down and got the strainers off... they were dirty. Filled up and everything’s good again. Cost zero... so very happy. Can’t thank you enough!
Happy tractorin’
Sizz
Excellent to hear! :D