Post hole digger for B2601 - 3PH or Skid Steer type?

AndyW

Equipment
2019 B2601 TLB
Jan 24, 2020
Kingston, WA
Need to do about 75 posts on my 2.5 acre property. Was gonna rent but looks like there are several decent 3PH options and after doing the research the front mounted SS versions also look very appealing as I have a 3rd function kit on my tractor. Main competitors right now are between the EA compact tractor one and the Land Pride SA20 (for about double the price apparently).

Request opinions on these options or other recommendations.

I am in the PNW, so the ground is fairly soft so I am not sure I'll have he hard ground issues with the 3PH version that seems to be the major complain (no pushing power).

TIA!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't have enough hydraulic flow to run a SSQA Post hole digger.

Get a good PTO powered unit.

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
Did you checkout "Everything Attachments" videos on youtube.com ? Seems like they re-engineer and beef-up a lot of their products to make them better than other brands out there.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I wondered about these also. I'm no hydraulic expert, but I'd think there wouldn't be much effective power to the auger compared to the pto.

AndyW

Equipment
2019 B2601 TLB
Jan 24, 2020
Kingston, WA
Did you checkout "Everything Attachments" videos on youtube.com ? Seems like they re-engineer and beef-up a lot of their products to make them better than other brands out there.
Absolutely! Their compact version looks very tempting.

AndyW

Equipment
2019 B2601 TLB
Jan 24, 2020
Kingston, WA
I wondered about these also. I'm no hydraulic expert, but I'd think there wouldn't be much effective power to the auger compared to the pto.
There is a youtube video I can't link to because I am too new here, but If you google Messicks SA20 you will find it. It works, it's just slower.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is a youtube video I can't link to because I am too new here, but If you google Messicks SA20 you will find it. It works, it's just slower.
That video, shows the extremely slow and low power, if you hit any resistance like rocks or roots and your done before you ever start.

The soil he's working with is clean and soft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2XRRoSth_8

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You will be disapointed. Get the 3 point and save your cash

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
You will be disapointed. Get the 3 point and save your cash
Not that the 3 pt won't work, but it is a different tool and there is a reason they are cheaper.

3 Pt. - No down pressure
3 Pt. - height restricted (effects depth you can go in one shot)
3 Pt. - No reverse! If you get it stuck with a 3pt, it is a PITA to get it out. With a hydraulic, you simply reverse.
3 Pt. - Harder to keep plumb through the depth
3 Pt. - Less control

They really are two different mousetraps.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I get my internet via microwave dish. The internet company had to put up a tower to put this dish on. They showed up with a beast of a skid steer with a 24" auger mounted on the front. It got to a depth of 48" like it was cutting through warm butter. I think the PTO would be a better option for a tractor unless you got really high flow to power one of these actual skid steer types. There wasn't anything in those videos that made me think this would be a good way to go. Looks like a lot of extra money for extra frustration. (I'm just guessing they cost more than PTO models)

AndyW

Equipment
2019 B2601 TLB
Jan 24, 2020
Kingston, WA
Thx for all the perspectives. I think I will go with one of the EA PTO ones. It does have the disadvantages mentioned but given the lower flow rates I have available on my tractor and the much higher cost of the SA20, it is probably the best compromise.

Now I have to chose...Subcompact or Compact version...

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thx for all the perspectives. I think I will go with one of the EA PTO ones. It does have the disadvantages mentioned but given the lower flow rates I have available on my tractor and the much higher cost of the SA20, it is probably the best compromise.

Now I have to chose...Subcompact or Compact version...
Compact, a subcompact on a B2601 won't dig holes deep enough. ;)

AndyW

Equipment
2019 B2601 TLB
Jan 24, 2020
Kingston, WA
Compact, a subcompact on a B2601 won't dig holes deep enough. ;)
Agreed. Interesting that you can get it in orange from LS or yellow from EA.

https://www.everythingattachments.com/Compact-Tractor-Post-Hole-Digger-p/eta-compact-phd.htm

https://www.landsharkattachments.com/Compact-Tractor-Post-Hole-Digger-p/ls-compact-phd.htm

Curiously the Compact version is not listed in the "LS by EA" page but the subcompact is...

https://www.everythingattachments.com/Land-Shark-Attachments-s/10643.htm

Given a choice, I'm going orange to match the Kubota...

AndyW

Equipment
2019 B2601 TLB
Jan 24, 2020
Kingston, WA
EA Sales is really pushing the subcompact one for the B...more leverage because it is shorter. He also said I could get it with a 48" auger and should have 15" of clearance fully raised on a B.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not that the 3 pt won't work, but it is a different tool and there is a reason they are cheaper.

3 Pt. - No down pressure
3 Pt. - height restricted (effects depth you can go in one shot)
3 Pt. - No reverse! If you get it stuck with a 3pt, it is a PITA to get it out. With a hydraulic, you simply reverse.
3 Pt. - Harder to keep plumb through the depth
3 Pt. - Less control

They really are two different mousetraps.
Let me put your concerns to rest...

Down pressure supplied via a weight box on the backside of the gearbox, I add 300 pounds of steel plate to mine...

I have no height restriction on my M's, in fact I added a 2 foot auger extension to get down to 6 feet if I want to....

I run mine at an idle and it if gets stuck (has before), it shears the shear bolt and I just pop the auger out of the hole with the 3 point. I have well over 6500 pounds of up force.

I have excellent control at all times because the tractor is idling. No harder to keep plumb (vertical and a FEL mounted auger unless you have a self levelling bucket which is only available on the larger tractors like I have but didn't get as an option. I think you have to get into the large frame M series to get that. Not available on a smaller unit. Easier to contol a vertical bore on the back than the front anyway.

They are 2 different mousetraps that do the same thing. Price is the largest difference.

I have the flow to operate a hydraulic auger on the FEL but I don't want one, cost being the prime motivator.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Let me put your concerns to rest...

Down pressure supplied via a weight box on the backside of the gearbox, I add 300 pounds of steel plate to mine...

I have no height restriction on my M's, in fact I added a 2 foot auger extension to get down to 6 feet if I want to....

I run mine at an idle and it if gets stuck (has before), it shears the shear bolt and I just pop the auger out of the hole with the 3 point. I have well over 6500 pounds of up force.

I have excellent control at all times because the tractor is idling. No harder to keep plumb (vertical and a FEL mounted auger unless you have a self levelling bucket which is only available on the larger tractors like I have but didn't get as an option. I think you have to get into the large frame M series to get that. Not available on a smaller unit. Easier to contol a vertical bore on the back than the front anyway.

They are 2 different mousetraps that do the same thing. Price is the largest difference.

I have the flow to operate a hydraulic auger on the FEL but I don't want one, cost being the prime motivator.
So you are going to come over and handle it all for me? Sweet! But seriously, sure on your huge tractor, I am talking about mine and the OP's.

On our tractors it is impossible to go 48" deep from the 3pt without stopping and adding an extension. It is easy from the bucket. That matters to some people.

Down force matters to some people obviously or it wouldn't be the number one complaint (I am not making this up, google it).

Reverse matters on a smaller tractor that doesn't have tons of break out force. Argue any way you want about it, reverse is great when you need it.

Our tractor (without a clutch for the PTO) has less control than the hydraulic has.

Those things may matter to someone else.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
PHDs are so dangerous and its not obvious to noobies and experienced alike.

30 years ago I had only a little 9N Ford to work with and it’s PTO was driven by gear engagement via the transmission and dry-clutch/left pedal. I borrowed a PHD (having never used one before) and was drilling holes to mount a couple of martin-houses my bird-watching wife wanted.

A neighboring rancher was visiting nearby and came over to talk just as the auger got stuck about 3-feet down. The little 9N was unable to raise the screw back up/out of the hole and as the neighbor walked up I pressed down on the clutch to prevent the stuck auger from killing the little Fords engine.

Before I could imagine what he was doing the neighbor dropped onto all fours beside the auger and stuck a long crowbar thru the u-joint and began un-twisting that auger back up out-of-the-hole. That crowbar was about 4 feet long and well-inside of his arms and legs ..when I realized that while I was twisted around in the seat I so easily could have slipped my foot off the clutch and cut his legs and arms out from beneath him! :eek:

He was experienced perhaps thinking I was also ...perhaps thinking I’d taken the shifter out-of-gear... But totally in danger of losing his life, with an ignorant city-boy sitting on that tractor. We were both idiots.

PHDs can kill. Stay physically away from that damn thing and don’t let anyone else get near it either while using it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, I read the OP...and 75 holes IS a lot so I can see why buying MIGHT be an option BUT.....contact a 'fence post installer' and get a price. He will be cheaper than buying the PHD and is SKILLED at it,done in a 1/2 day for sure.
While I know it's nice to buy 'toys', will the PHD do more holes ? When ? 2-3 years from now ?? That's $$ sitting doing nothing.....
Then there's YOUR time. Obviously there's a 'learning curve' and I doubt you'll be as fast as the pro. You could be tossing posts in while he's drilling,far more efficient use of your time. While it may be 'fun' drilling the first 4 or 5 holes, the othr 70 ain't, especially if it's a PTO style PHD !