L2195A 5th hydraulic hose help please

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
I picking up a used snowblower tomorrow and it has 5 hydraulic hoses. We are thinking the 5th hose is a relief? It seems Kubota used 2 different hydraulic pumps for the chute rotation. The more expensive one has a crossover relief.
So I’m guessing this one has the less expensive pump without crossover requiring a 5th hose?

So I am trying to figure out what is required for this connection. No manual and it is on a L4240. Mine is a L4240HSTC-3.
I am unsure if the J00500 hydraulic kit is what I need?
Anyone have experience with this 5th hydraulic hose?
Anyone have a manual for the snowblower?
https://www.messicks.com/ku/85263?sectionId=218294&diagramId=350166
Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The 5th line is a case drain, required on some motors.

You need to connect it back to the return/tank on the tractor.

I think the kit you show is the right kit, but I would have to see the install manual to know for sure.

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
The 5th line is a case drain, required on some motors.

You need to connect it back to the return/tank on the tractor.

I think the kit you show is the right kit, but I would have to see the install manual to know for sure.
The picture with the line is the 5th hydraulic hose. He says there is nothing else in that line, just QA fitting for black coded hydraulic hose from snowblower.
The QA is attached with a bracket inboard of FEL connectors
Second picture is of my drain circled in yellow.

Attachments

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
Picked up the blower today and he gave me the manuals but I have a question on the hydraulic connections.
Are the required connections only the attached page that is titled Grand L40-3 or is it supposed to have the page titled Grand L 40 Series also? If it is I didnt get all the necessary fittings and hoses for this page.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Picked up the blower today and he gave me the manuals but I have a question on the hydraulic connections.
Are the required connections only the attached page that is titled Grand L40-3 or is it supposed to have the page titled Grand L 40 Series also? If it is I didnt get all the necessary fittings and hoses for this page.
Do you have the factor third function valve on the tractor already?

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
Do you have the factor third function valve on the tractor already?
No third function valve.
Snowblower had manual chute deflector.
My hydraulic valve looks different than one in picture 5d.
See attached. My valve is the gray rusty picture.

Do you know if my chute hydraulic motor can be converted with crossover valve?

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's only one line straight to the case if you don't have the third fuction valve for the loader.

Crossover valve?
I don't know what you mean by a crossover valve?

Normally the loader control valve will operate both up and down and the chute rotation, and you would use a third function valve for chute deflection.

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
It is my understanding Kubota sells two different motors for chute rotation. One requires the 5th hose for pressure relief. The other and more expensive has a built in crossover pressure relief valve.

So all the extra plumbing is for or because of 3rd function valve?

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It is my understanding Kubota sells two different motors for chute rotation. One requires the 5th hose for pressure relief. The othe and more expensive has a built in crossover pressure relief valve.

hummm never heard of that, but anything is possible.

I have several motors here that do not have a case drain, and they work fine.

The motors are just a different design one has a case drain the other doesn't.
You want the one with a case drain, it's a much better motor design and will last longer with less issues.

Yes all the extra plumbing in the pictures is the return line for the third function valve.

Last edited:

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
hummm never heard of that, but anything is possible.

I have several motors here that do not have a case drain, and they work fine.

The motors are just a different design one has a case drain the other doesn't.
You want the one with a case drain, it's a much better motor design and will last longer with less issues.

Yes all the extra plumbing in the pictures is the return line for the third function valve.
I had trouble posting pictures, see previous post.

3rd function valve kit, why would that be part of the Hydraulic Kit with the blower? I thought that was an option?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok I just looked it up, the crossover valve or also called a cushion valve, helps with shock load on the motor, so I guess in essence it does the similar job of the case drain.

"What is a crossover relief valve?
Dual crossover relief valves, often referred to as cross-port reliefs, provide pressure protection for double acting hydraulic actuators. ... Providing relief protection in both actuator lines helps to prevent damage that may occur from pressure spikes or deadhead conditions in both operating directions."

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I had trouble posting pictures, see previous post.

3rd function valve kit, why would that be part of the Hydraulic Kit with the blower? I thought that was an option?
It is my understanding Kubota sells two different motors for chute rotation. One requires the 5th hose for pressure relief. The other and more expensive has a built in crossover pressure relief valve.

I might be confused but what i see is if you don't have a third function then you just run the case drain into the port in the first picture, but if you have the third function you alredy have the extra lines and then you tee into that line to get the case drain.

I would personally rather have a motor with a case drain than a crossover valve.
Less things to service or have go wrong, they will outlast the motors without case drains and the motor design with a case drain does a better job of lubrication itself (that's the real need for the case drain).

But we are talking about a snowblower chute rotator, it's not going to get a ton of use, so whichever one is easier for you is what you should use! ;)

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
Thanks North Idaho Wolfman for your expertise. I appreciate this forum for helping the uneducated become educated on our orange tractors. :)

I’ve been skimming through both manuals, L2195A and the L2180-1 and have been learning a lot. I found the previous owner had the skid shoes adjusted for pavement, but he had a gravel driveway.

I called Mobil and talked to an engineer to verify Delvac 1 75w90 exceeded AGMA 5EP SAE 80W90 specified for the reduction and final gearboxes on the blower. I have an extra gallon on the shelf. :)