Performance Module For more horsepower

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I had almost forgotten the hand clutch. It was great for when you were standing up on those long days of discing or undercutting:D.
I was a Cochshutt White tractor mechanic back in those days so had quite a lot to do with the Yellow versions of these.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I was a Cochshutt White tractor mechanic back in those days so had quite a lot to do with the Yellow versions of these.
I worked at a MF, White, Oliver, MM, Ford, NH, Kubota dealership for almost 29 years. I was the Service Manager-Lead Tech for 18 years so I also got quite personal with them.

My mother's cousin bought a new 1938 Minneapolis-Moline UDLX in Kansas City and drove it 285 miles west to his farm. A little before my time. He had the tractor in his shed until he sold it about 20 years ago. It brought well over a hundred times what he paid for it new. The buyer was ecstatic to find that nice of original condition unit.
I drooled every time I saw it.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
What angers me is back in the day before emission motors, all my big rigs had straight pipes. I hauled logs, wood chips and dump trailers up in northern Ontario.
I didn't run around in the city. I was on desolate highway with nothing but trees and moose.
Yet the MTO would harass me about no mufflers.
I bought a basket case '68 Peterbilt 352 back in the mid 70s, rebuilt it and the 335 Cummins in it. It came with straight pipes, but after a week running that noisy SOB, I put on a nice quiet set of Riker mufflers.
I always figured the best practice was to draw as little attention as possible. Same thing went for lights, have everything to be legal, no more, and make sure they are all working.
One of my drivers wanted to put straight pipes on a 379 Pete I just sold a few months ago, but I said no way. Not too smart to draw attention to yourself with the way the troopers and DOT goons like to bust you nowadays.

Attachments

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I bought a basket case '68 Peterbilt 352 back in the mid 70s, rebuilt it and the 335 Cummins in it. It came with straight pipes, but after a week running that noisy SOB, I put on a nice quiet set of Riker mufflers.
I always figured the best practice was to draw as little attention as possible. Same thing went for lights, have everything to be legal, no more, and make sure they are all working.
One of my drivers wanted to put straight pipes on a 379 Pete I just sold a few months ago, but I said no way. Not too smart to draw attention to yourself with the way the troopers and DOT goons like to bust you nowadays.
Yep, no sense in painting a bullseye on yourself.:D

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I worked at a MF, White, Oliver, MM, Ford, NH, Kubota dealership for almost 29 years. I was the Service Manager-Lead Tech for 18 years so I also got quite personal with them.

My mother's cousin bought a new 1938 Minneapolis-Moline UDLX in Kansas City and drove it 285 miles west to his farm. A little before my time. He had the tractor in his shed until he sold it about 20 years ago. It brought well over a hundred times what he paid for it new. The buyer was ecstatic to find that nice of original condition unit.
I drooled every time I saw it.
Driving them was the usual delivery method when I started out. We drove all the new combines we sold from the factory in Brantford Ontario to our Dealership in Dundalk, Start out early in the morning and get to the dealership after dark! 428's and later 542's and 5542's. We drove some of the bigger tractors too. ( Or had the customers drive them) No big trucks at most dealers in those days.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The local JD dealer drives them from their main store in St. Louis, Michigan to Tecumesh, Michigan all the time. I know the shuttle driver. Says it takes him 8 hours to make the trip, all back roads, over 200 miles. Glad my dealer has a big tandem axle roll back to haul tractors around with, though I can haul my own if necessary.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Dad had a Cochshutt 570 super with a strait pipe. Nicest thing I ever heard! That 70HP 340 cubic inch Hercules Just purred under load! We had a Richardson front snowblower on it with halftracks, you could hear it coming down the road a mile away! We used it to open roads in Ontario when the road graders got beat.
Another tractor on my want list...a Cockshutt.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Nice looking classic Pete.

And thanks everyone for the correction. I thought those old tractors were using the 53 series Detroit. Had the 53 on my brain because we had one sitting in the yard out of a tree skidder.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Like the old and worn out Harley line goes....:loud pipes save lives. That is BS. Only thing loud pipes do is irritate the voting public who then legislate noise abatement laws.

If you come right sown to it, it's not the exhaust that produces the noise in a diesel engine, it's the retarder or as it's called the 'Jake Brake' that produces the irritating noise. The turbo does a good job of breaking up the sound waves that sound like 'noise.

My M9 cab tractor has a muflerless exhaust on it makes a pleasant sound actually. Not at all irritating. Does it make more power? Not sure but I imagine it does. Less exhaust restriction equals better breathing. Better breathing equals more power. Would I do that with a naturally aspirated diesel, never. Probably not a discernable difference but at least I don't have to replace a corroded muffler now and an added benefit is, the accessability to the engine is enhanced as the muffler on an M9 is smack dab on top of the engine and blocks access to it.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Don't have to worry now with SCR/DPF's. My new Detroit Diesel and Jake brake sound like a duck farting in the water. LOL

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Like the old and worn out Harley line goes....:loud pipes save lives. That is BS. Only thing loud pipes do is irritate the voting public who then legislate noise abatement laws.

If you come right sown to it, it's not the exhaust that produces the noise in a diesel engine, it's the retarder or as it's called the 'Jake Brake' that produces the irritating noise. The turbo does a good job of breaking up the sound waves that sound like 'noise.
I agree completely with you on the Harley (or any bike) with straight pipes. You can't hear them coming any better than any other bike since the pipes are aimed behind them. I can only imagine lots of the riders will have hearing loss due to the noise.

In my experience the amount of exhaust noise compared to Jake brake noise from straight pipes on trucks is about the same, although the Jake brake noise is a little more sharp, more of a popping noise.
As far as turbos go, they do a small amount to muffle the exhaust noise, but not enough to make it acceptable, in my pinion. I spent a couple of years on an International E270 Payscraper with a DT573 setting right next to me, whose exhaust pipe stuck out of the hood about three feet and I have got hearing damage and have had constant tinnitus ever since.

Those jackasses with Cummins and Duramaxes with straight pipes and the fuel turned up so they belch balck smoke when they punch it should be arrested for violating noise and pollution laws, and the trucks crushed.
Let them go to the county fair and enter the truck pulls to see just how tough they are, but don't do it on the street.
I don't know what kind of marginally intelligent people they are trying to impress, but they don't impress me.

Rant off.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have to plead Guilty on the loud vehicle thing...:eek::eek:

My first car was a 1967 Chevy Caprice with the 327 4bbl, Thorley Headers and Cherry Bomb Header mufflers labelled "For Off-Road and Track Use Only." It was the Muscle Car Era, what can I say?!?! :p

My first Traffic Ticket and visit with the Justice of the Peace were compliments of those pipes... I plead guilty then, too! :eek:

When I bought my Harley in 2005, I purposely made that fu@&er loud, because I could. Free/open intake, Short Shots for pipes. When I sold it in 2017, the pipes sealed the deal.

The pipes didn't seal the deal with the buyer, but his Dad. His Dad was my age, and had loud stuff in his younger years.

Thankfully, the phase has passed...I think...! :cool:

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Like those jack asses from Spark's Motors that have that Diesel Brothers Show on tv. Them and that Vegas Rat Rod guy.

They put those programs in that are pumping so much raw fuel through their engines to make clouds of black smoke that they aren't even smart enough to know that they are just washing their cylinder walls down and killing the engines and not gaining one extra h.p. from it.
These are the ones that ruin it for everyone and why we all have to suffer with DPF's.

At least the Diesel Dough Heads got caught and heavily fined by the EPA. LOL

No most of their shows are of them building electric scooters, Hahahahaha.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
It's one thing to have smoke at a tractor pull or big rig drag races, but you don't go on TV with street vehicles showing yourself billowing clouds of smoke on public roads.

Nhconvert

Equipment
nh t1630 and ts6020
Aug 28, 2020
Deereman69
Gzz. Get off topic much?! Not a very Japanese style post. I am looking at a Japanese engineered and built tractor because i want quality. Time is money. Nh and deere build their sub 100hp tractors in crap hole countries with zero quality standards. Aka turkey, india, and sk. Hoping the orange forum is also concise and only full of quality info might be setting my expectations to high.
I am looking at a l5460. A 47 would work for my small hay operation but if i get a bigger haybine etc it would not. Hence 5460 to give margin but save 5k vs a 6060.
Chips to fool the rail pressure sensor and ecm tuning for on and off highway r 30 yrs old at this point. Now that kubota have caught up and switched to common rail and bosch ecm it can be tuned. just like the other 100 oems that use bosch ecms and common rail tech. If a company cares enough to bother doing it.
The op link only had the larger kubota engines listed. Did anyone ever get something for the 2.4l and try it?!
If i can save 5k by getting a 5460 then upgrade in 5yr for 500 vs trading tractors thats a no brainer.
I have 3 rams diesel trucks. One is deleted and 1400hp for racing. The others r 100% stock tow pigs.
I only delete for 2 things, racing or emissions system issues.
We dont race tractors so i would only delete a tractor if its out of warranty and still causing issues and money to fix. So having the option is critical to me.
Thanks

Nhconvert

Equipment
nh t1630 and ts6020
Aug 28, 2020
Deereman69
:ROFLMAO: Humans will race ANYTHING! What is a tractor pull if not a race for tractors? :ROFLMAO:
Never seen a kubota 50hp tractor at a sled pull. Gzz. Keep on topic. I work in diesel engine development engineering for 20yrs. Plus i sled pull my 1400hp truck.
In the ag industry people chip engines to bump from the lowest to highest rating and/or to delete ats. People using machines to make a living dont want to do crazy things like add 100hp to a 50hp tractor.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Keep on topic.
Oh I think the topic is long gone in this thread.

But for the record, the OP wanted to know if a certain aftermarket module will give him another 5hp (about 10%) without affecting emissions.

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
L5460, BH92, RCR1872, FDR2572.RTVX1100c
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
Actualy I have been in contact with pdi diesel this week. The stinger-4 module for kubota will. Add up to 17 hp as needed. It it $499.00. So basically my 5460 would have more power than the l6060 for $499.00. The question they had to ask and get photos of were of the fuel system plug, basically the module plugs into it and reads the demand and changes the supply giving more power. I’m sure there’s more to it but that’s how they explained it to me. My 5460 is a Bosch, It is not a permanent thing so basically if you were under warranty you can unplug it like it was never there. It makes no changes to the ECM. I’m probably going to be getting it within the next few weeks. I put it on hold then had other expenses come up but now it’s about to happen.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I like what Gale Banks says (I have a Banks performance kit on my diesel pickup. Gale says... When a diesel smokes, it's just wasting fuel. When he builds a performance diesel. it son't smoke. I , like that philosophy myself.