BX5450 Snow Blower PTO pops off comes loose

TTracy

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 17, 2020
North Branch, MN
I have a BX5450 snowblower on my BX25D. The PTO shaft from the blower to the MID PTO pops off at times. The blower is new. I've only had it a month. The MID PTO is also new. The shaft seems to have plenty of room to play. I can push it past the slot where it engages the PTO shaft if I want.

There is a collar that I pull back which releases 2 balls and then the collar moves forward to lock it into place on the shaft when those balls engage the slot in the shaft. The collar does move forward and locks it somewhat, but the collar does not move all the way forward. It doesn't move as far forward as it will when it isn't on the shaft at all. It seems it moves about half-way over the balls. If I push hard on the shaft, I can move the shaft from that position by hand. It doesn't seem to be positively locking. It's as if the balls are too big for the slot or the slot is too small for the balls.

I thought that maybe it was coming loose when I lifted the blower while running. The operator's manual says not to lift the blower when the PTO is running but that makes it difficult to maneuver. So, I try lifting the blower no more than an inch or so, which is difficult to do sometimes. That seems to help and the PTO pops off less often. I've cleaned the balls and they don't appear to be sticking.

Should the collar move as far forward as it would when it's not on the shaft?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You said the mid PTO is new, do you have the P/N for it?

TTracy

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 17, 2020
North Branch, MN
MID PTO: BX2753, Front Hitch: BX2751. Those were on the quote for the blower and are numbers from some of the instructions/paperwork from the boxes. I no longer have the original boxes.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
MID PTO: BX2753, Front Hitch: BX2751. Those were on the quote for the blower and are numbers from some of the instructions/paperwork from the boxes. I no longer have the original boxes.
Have you tried taking a scotch bright or a wire brush to the splines on the tractor, even brake parts cleaner?
Also spray some lube in the female connection side helps sometimes.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Based solely on past experience, the collar that releases the balls should travel back to its uninstalled position if it is locking in place.

When I had instances where it didn't lock in, some type of dirt/debris/corrosion limited the balls from moving smoothly in their respective bores. I've also had issues with the collar not sliding along its surface smoothly. Again cleaning and lubrication is all that was ever needed.

If need be, disassemble the collar and inspect the balls and bore for something that may be preventing them to move freely. Just be careful when removing the retaining ring as it is spring loaded.

It's always possible the groove in the PTO shaft might not be cut deep enough, but I don't know what the design depth is.

TTracy

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 17, 2020
North Branch, MN
I'll have to look more closely at the collar. The collar slides easily shut when not connected. Everything is so clean right now that I'm almost of the belief that the groove in the shaft is too shallow. I'll have to take it apart and re-inspect. I'm in MN and we have a big snowfall starting today and through tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

TTracy

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 17, 2020
North Branch, MN
I haven't tried to clean the splines but it slides easily up and down them. I can actually slide it past the spot where it is supposed to lock on. Upon visual inspection everything looks clean. I sprayed down the balls with WD 40 to make sure they weren't sticky but everything is very clean. It's only been run in the snow a couple of times. There isn't any dirt or grime yet.

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA
Yes that collar should slide forward all the way when it clicks on the shaft. Did you give it a yank after it seated and see if you can pull it off? Also does the shaft extend and retract freely on its spline? I've had 2 of these front mount blowers and never had the pto shaft pull off as you stated, and I almost always leave it engaged while I lift the blower. Jefferson

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Can you take the driveshaft coupler in question to the dealer and see if it works on any of their tractors?

If it works on other tractors, it would be a strong indication the mid pto shaft on the tractor is suspect (groove dimensions out of spec).

Another option would be to carefully measure the diameter on the mid pto shaft where the locking balls engage and then compare with another tractor.

TTracy

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 17, 2020
North Branch, MN
Yes that collar should slide forward all the way when it clicks on the shaft. Did you give it a yank after it seated and see if you can pull it off? Also does the shaft extend and retract freely on its spline? I've had 2 of these front mount blowers and never had the pto shaft pull off as you stated, and I almost always leave it engaged while I lift the blower. Jefferson
Good to know. I talked with the dealer's service dept. and they told me it should lock to the position it would when off also. I pushed it forward once after it was "locked in place" by hand so I think I could pull it back by hand also. It's acting more like a detent than a lock. The shaft does extend and retract freely on the spline.

Thank you for your help.

TTracy

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 17, 2020
North Branch, MN
Can you take the driveshaft coupler in question to the dealer and see if it works on any of their tractors?

If it works on other tractors, it would be a strong indication the mid pto shaft on the tractor is suspect (groove dimensions out of spec).

Another option would be to carefully measure the diameter on the mid pto shaft where the locking balls engage and then compare with another tractor.
Yes, this all sounds like a good plan. I appreciate the advice.

I'm going to take it apart and inspect it carefully, then take measure the groove in the splined shaft and take the PTO shaft to the dealer. They are very helpful so I have no doubt I will get this resolved. Eventually ;-)

Thanks for the help.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Thanks and please let us know what you find out.

TTracy

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 17, 2020
North Branch, MN
Thanks again everyone for your help. Here's the resolution:

I took the front mid PTO off the tractor and removed the shaft that is the front PTO output.

I took that shaft and the coupler end of the snowblower PTO shaft and visited my dealer's service dept. They determined that the groove in the shaft had not been machined correctly and was not deep enough for the balls to fit into. They are ordering me another under warranty.

The dealer even went above and beyond by taking my defective part into the shop and making the groove in the shaft a little deeper so I had something that locked into place until the new part could get here.

I put it all back together and I'm back in business. It's such a relief to be able to lift the blower without worrying that the PTO shaft will come loose.

Thanks again.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Glad you found the root cause!

Should make snow removal a more pleasurable experience.