New Z122R Owner

Deerhunter44

Aug 13, 2019
Amarillo, Texas
Not sure where to post this intro. I just made it home with my new Z122R with a Kawasaki engine. This is my first zero turn. I’ve spent 100s if not 1,000 hours on tractor style mowers until now. I’m pretty excited to try this one out. I also have a 2014 B2320 out in my shop that I use for planting food plots and mowing rough stuff. I have the 54” belly mower, 4 ft brush hog, and 4ft tandem disc for that tractor. It has 240 hours and has been flawless and quite frankly amazing what it can do. My experience with the 2320 is why I went with the Z122R.

Excited to be here learning about Kubotas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on a fine mower. I am sure you will get used to it very fast. Enjoy. :)

Which side of Amarillo are you on? I got married in that town 52 years ago.

Last edited:

Deerhunter44

Aug 13, 2019
Amarillo, Texas
Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on a fine mower. I am sure you will get used to it very fast. Enjoy. :)

Which side of Amarillo are you on? I got married in that town 52 years ago.

Thanks. I’m actually in Bushland just west of Amarillo. I have some land over near Shamrock as well.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Are you close to Cadillac Ranch?

Did you get the letter from Kubota about the recall on the Z100 series mowers?

I got mine today but the dealer said the parts are on the way.

Deerhunter44

Aug 13, 2019
Amarillo, Texas
Are you close to Cadillac Ranch?

Did you get the letter from Kubota about the recall on the Z100 series mowers?

I got mine today but the dealer said the parts are on the way.

Yes. Cadillac Ranch is about 3 miles from my house.

I just bought the mower on Tuesday so I’m hoping the recall was dealt with before I got it. What was it related to?

I mowed with it and am very pleased. Other than me looking like a fool learning how to control it at first it is perfect. The Kawasaki is extremely smooth and quiet compared to the Kohler on my lawn tractor that I’m getting rid of.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
The recall is about the cable from the right arm touching the ignition switch. You can call service at your dealer and they should know.

Yes, once you get the hang of it, they can do a lot more than the tractor type. I know you don't have my problem with steep hills, but it has a lot of power and does't slow down like my 22 hp ridding mower did.

When I was stationed at Amarillo AFB, we had a joke about how flat the land was there.

You could be gone from the base a day and you would't be considered AWOL because they could still see you. :D

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Thanks. I’ll look into it.

Yep, flat, hot, and windy pretty much nails it for this area. Can’t beat the sunsets though!

Not many trees to block the view either.

As for the wind, we used to watch Texas International Airlines land by lining up a 1/4 mile west of the runway just to not be a 1/4 mile east of it when touching down.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The recall is about the cable from the right arm touching the ignition switch. You can call service at your dealer and they should know.
Z122R is not affected by that bulletin.

Couple observations from mine. As long as the tire pressures are equal side to side and correct front and rear--and as long as the deck is level, the cut quality is top notch. Blades will wear down over time. It's better to just replace them rather than sharpen them. Valves will need to be adjusted after a couple hundred hours. Get valve cover gaskets too, they never come off without busting. It's new so all the updates are probably done. There were a couple things that Kubota directed dealers to do on the early ones, newer ones are not affected by that stuff.

Great mower!

Deerhunter44

Aug 13, 2019
Amarillo, Texas
Z122R is not affected by that bulletin.

Couple observations from mine. As long as the tire pressures are equal side to side and correct front and rear--and as long as the deck is level, the cut quality is top notch. Blades will wear down over time. It's better to just replace them rather than sharpen them. Valves will need to be adjusted after a couple hundred hours. Get valve cover gaskets too, they never come off without busting. It's new so all the updates are probably done. There were a couple things that Kubota directed dealers to do on the early ones, newer ones are not affected by that stuff.

Great mower!

Thanks. I’m amazed at how quiet the Kawasaki is. You can hear the valve train more than anything. I agree that the cut is top notch so far. I’ve used it twice and so far I’m satisfied with all aspects of the mower.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Even the bigger 49" has a fantastic cut. All of my neighbors have told me how beautiful my lawn looks.

My SIL wants me to give him my Z121S and for me to get a new. LMAO! :D