Kubota M9000 High Pressure Switch?

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
I have a Kubota M9000 w/cab. Three days in a row, after running the tractor for 4-5 hours the A/C stops working and the belt running the compressor squeals. I tightened the belt but when this happens the compressor is feels hard to turn. Does this system have a high pressure switch? If so where is it located? I seems as if the compressor is locked by high pressure. When the tractor is cool the compressor turns fine and is quiet.
I know the 8200/9000 A/C systems are not great but when this one is working it is pretty good. At the beginning of the season I pulled a vacuum and added two cans of 134a.
I have been in the middle of hay and had to get it finished but now have time to slow down and figure the problem out.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The compressor is not locked by high pressure!

Liquid refrigerant is getting into it. Likely because some heat transfer surface is dirty.... evaporator or condenser or too much freon.

How did you determine two cans were needed?

Dave

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Stuck expansion valve. Dirty evaporator core. Blower fan intake dirty. Just a few possibilities. Now that it's potentially overcharged, the compressor could be failing and if that's the case, it can very easily spread pieces of compressor throughout the entire system and if that's the case, the entire systems components would need to be replaced. There's no good/reliable way to get the junk out once it happens. Some guys call it black death.

If in fact you had to add refrigerant earlier this year, I'd question why. If it was empty there is/was a leak. Why was it leaking? Where? Was it repaired? How long was the system at zero pressure, zero refrigerant? If very long, air could have gotten into the system, and air has moisture in it, and moisture will destroy parts. Also if there was a leak, it's not just refrigerant that leaks out, it's also oil and then the oil "level" is lower than specified, which can destroy the compressor. Sometimes the compressor will run a while, then seize up due to lack of oil and/or moisture, then it cools and it will "free up".

dvcochran

Equipment
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Stuck expansion valve. Dirty evaporator core. Blower fan intake dirty. Just a few possibilities. Now that it's potentially overcharged, the compressor could be failing and if that's the case, it can very easily spread pieces of compressor throughout the entire system and if that's the case, the entire systems components would need to be replaced. There's no good/reliable way to get the junk out once it happens. Some guys call it black death.

If in fact you had to add refrigerant earlier this year, I'd question why. If it was empty there is/was a leak. Why was it leaking? Where? Was it repaired? How long was the system at zero pressure, zero refrigerant? If very long, air could have gotten into the system, and air has moisture in it, and moisture will destroy parts. Also if there was a leak, it's not just refrigerant that leaks out, it's also oil and then the oil "level" is lower than specified, which can destroy the compressor. Sometimes the compressor will run a while, then seize up due to lack of oil and/or moisture, then it cools and it will "free up".
The tractor has had a small leak for a while. It has been known to freeze up after a couple months of use. When I pulled a vacuum and refilled the Freon I added dye hoping to find the leak. Since I did not know exactly how much charge there was, I evacuated the system, pulled a vacuum and recharged. I went by the sticker on the side of the engine on the charge amount. Two cans is the prescribed amount. I did Not add any oil when doing this.
Also this spring I removed the roof and thoroughly cleaned the evaporator and also the condenser using plastic strapping, coil cleaner, and copious amounts of water and air. The evaporator and housing was very clean to begin with.
I also added a condenser fan that made quite a bit of difference, especially when the tractor is not moving.
No one answered the question as to whether there is a high pressure switch and I cannot find one to order nor on the Kubota parts diagram so I am assuming this is a no.

I would appreciate the your opinion on this plan. I am in between cuttings and have time to properly check things out. I feel, as you said, this is a self inflicted failure. I have ordered an aftermarket compressor, exp. valve, dryer, and condenser.
These four parts were less than $700. Just the compressor from Kubota would have been over $1,500 (total would have been > $3,500). I do not have a way to buy Denso parts from a source like AP air.
I did NOT order an evaporator. I was planning to flush it and the lines since that is all that would be left. I was told it is nearly impossible to flush a Kubota condenser. Do you think flushing the evaporator until clear should be OK?

There are a lot of post about how undersized the condensers are on the M9000 but I do not see a way to mount the new style condenser. Have you heard of anyone doing this or something similar?

Last edited:

dvcochran

Equipment
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
I was able to take the system apart today. There was no oil in the compressor and a fraction of an ounce in the lines. Like said, this has to be self inflicted. I can't say I ever noticed leakage around the compressor but my guess is it has been slowly leaking and as I have added Freon over the years it just leaked out. I hate paying stupid tax but here I am.
On a positive note, the new compressor is an upgrade and is built much better than the original.