New B2650 transmission oil level low

wajdac

Equipment
B2650 w/loader and BH77 backhoe
Jul 22, 2019
Sand Lake, NY
I took delivery of our new B2650 with loader and backhoe last Friday morning. I parked it and went off to work for the day. When I got back home, I of course wanted to try everything out.
Before starting, I checked the engine and transmission oil levels, and found that the transmission dip stick was completely dry.
So Saturday morning I called the local Kubota dealer and he said to swing by (only 20min away) and he gave me a gallon of Kubota transmission fluid (and a funnel). He said that the backhoe had just been put on the tractor before delivery, and probably the hydraulic fluid filled up the backhoe pistons (?).
Anyway, it took about half a gallon to set the oil level in the middle of the range on the dip stick. I spent a few hours digging and moving a few loads of wood with the loader on Saturday and Sunday, then parked it in the barn for the week. I checked the level several times and it hadn't changed.
Then today Ia week later) I was out in the barn and figured I would check the oil level - and sure enough it was low again. There is absolutely no sign of leaking oil that I can find. I haven't filled it up again yet, but I figure it is going to take most of the rest of the gallon from the dealer.
Any ideas where is the oil going? Could it really be from the new backhoe?
Thanks

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
How is the backhoe positioned when your checking the level? I don’t know the proper positioning of the hoe to check the level (I didn’t see it in the manual but I may have missed it). If you have the bucket fully curled up, and the dipper stick pulled in all the way then those cylinders are fully extended and holding a fair bit of fluid.

Maybe put all the hoe cylinders in the middle of their range of motion and recheck it. Also loader should be down when checking too.

wajdac

Equipment
Jul 22, 2019
Sand Lake, NY
Backhoe is always in the transport position both when filling/setting and checking the level later. The loader is down.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Stupid question but is the unit level when checking? Level not only front to back but side to side as well.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Could have been the outriggers had no oil in them, or really any other cylinder and now they do.

Do not fill it to a midpoint on the gauge, fill it to the top.
Do you only put motor oil 1/2 way to the full mark? Nope; same thing here.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
When my little BX was new, I was in the same spot after a few minutes' use. Same thing, called my salesman, he gave me gallon of fluid.

Took a quart + to fill, without a backhoe. I think I had to add one other time, but less.

I'm just guessing mine had some air, i.e. it burped. After I got it full it was solid/steady from there on out, and it's been 6+ years now.

Given the extra attachments, get it to full and keep an eye on it. But after my experience, I think you and the tractor are fine.

Good luck - I hear great things about the B2650's!

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm always adding fluid to my M's because everytime I disconnect the hydraulic couplers I lose a bit. Well not always but at least 2 times a season.

wajdac

Equipment
Jul 22, 2019
Sand Lake, NY
After the replies to my original post, I filled the transmission oil to the top of the level on the dip stick.
Finally had a chance to do a little backhoe digging yesterday and then moved some firewood logs and cleaned up the firewood splitting area today.
Checked the oil level after that, and it looks like it didn't change.
Thanks everyone.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Yup, went through the exact same thing on my B2650HSDC with the BH77 on the back when I took delivery. Still check the dip stick every time I use it but has never needed more since it was topped off.