Is a B6100E 2WD worth fixing

rstidyman

Equipment
B6100E
Jul 10, 2019
Morristown, TN
Was given a tractor lately. Due to the injector and clutch problems, dealer is estimating $2400 in repairs not including the full service of fluids and filters, and then new tires all the way around. Unit has 2,000 hours on it. No rust. Is it worth fixing or should I part it out and buy something used that is newer albeit, more expensive.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
This is a machine for someone who does their own work. The actual parts are not expensive (tires excepted) but the labor is the killer.

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yes, what Dave said....clutch parts would be around $200. injection pump maybe the same or a new one for maybe $500. Then tires, rears can be 15" pickup truck tires with snow tread. Fronts...$75 each, new.

You do the labor, which isn't all that much, or difficult, and you have a nice tractor. It's a project, so don't be in a hurry or you may pay too much for parts.

Remember it's 2 wheel drive. That's not as good as if it was 4x4. And if you ever wanted a loader on it, it becomes almost impossible to fine the mounting brackets, so they have to be fabricated.

It it's a clean looking tractor, with the mechanical problems you mentioned, you could fit it for say $1,000 and sell it easily for at least $2 maybe 3K, depends on the market in your area.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
So, 2,400 for a lightly used, freshly refurbished compact tractor. Even without any appurtenances that sounds reasonable.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
With fluids and tires you're going to be closer to breaking even with what the machine will be worth. That said, if it meets your needs that particular tractor is quality piece of equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Equipment
L2501DT LA 525FL BH77
Mar 24, 2019
Ocala Florida
Was given a tractor lately. Due to the injector and clutch problems, dealer is estimating $2400 in repairs not including the full service of fluids and filters, and then new tires all the way around. Unit has 2,000 hours on it. No rust. Is it worth fixing or should I part it out and buy something used that is newer albeit, more expensive.
I have a B6100E and I wont part with it unless someone offered me stupid money.

I was lucky in that mine only needed general maintenance.

I have used the heck out of it, wish it were 4WD but then again I really havent had any major setbacks cause it wasnt.

Mine is gonna need a clutch possibly in the near future but then again it may just need adjusting.

Its a workhorse

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
a couple thoughts from a tech's perspective:

First off, when you come into posession of some type equipment and it may need some repair(s), it's wise to look at the value of the equipment. Is your B6100 worth what it costs to repair it? If no, you can give it to someone else and advise them that they'll need to spend some money on it, you can fix it yourself, or you can sell it. Those are the most popular options.

Secondly, a lot of dealers don't really care to service/repair older equipment. I'm one of the exceptions. So what they'll so is estimate really high in hope that you'll not fix it. But why? Because techs a lot of times get a bonus (based on billed labor) or they work straight commission; both cases their best paying jobs are the smaller jobs like PM and radio installations, and any internal stuff such as but not limited to assembly & prep, loader installs, etc. They love those because they can do them in half flat rate, so they make money on 'em. Older equipment there is always the risk of breaking fasteners, breaking parts that are NLA, and the dreaded fix-one-thing-something else breaks problem, which NO tech likes (and neither do owners and that's why the techs don't like them). THOSE can be nightmare jobs. For instance years back I was doing a clutch in an L210, quoted the job, ok'd, then I jumped in. Flywheel bolt broke during removal. Hard bolt, drill bit was like trying to drill a piece of diamond, the bit never even dented or scratched it. Got a hardened bit, it was the same way. So then we had to call the owner & explain to him that his old tractor sometimes those kinds of things come up. 'Course owner has no idea, he's upset (and rightfully so), we're upset, tech's upset, shop/business loses money and makes a would-be customer mad, likely to never see him again. That's the kinda stuff you get into with older equipment, and I'm NOT making it up. The key (for a tech) is to do only the bare minimum and charge accordingly, and sometimes that becomes a surprise to the owner even after being quoted. It never goes as planned.

Very similar to old cars. There is a reason old cars are expensive.

rstidyman

Equipment
B6100E
Jul 10, 2019
Morristown, TN
Thank you for all the replies. I got it back from the shop today. No charge for labor, and just charged me $111 for the battery. Starts right up, goes through the gears, PTO works, but after it warms up a bit, if in gear with the clutch in, and higher revs, in 2nd and 3rd, it's like you can hear the gears, or something rattling around. I'm tempted to stick the bush hog on it and cut the 3 acres just to get it done. Seems all I can do is wear it out a little more. What do you think?

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
It's mighty hard to do the thinking for another man when it comes to machinery.

I'm thinking those sounds you hear are the sounds of stuff that is near breaking.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What did the shop do, fix the clutch, replace injectors? Did they give you an idea of what the noise was? Might be a throw out bearing rattling. Might be something more serious, but they should have given you an opinion of the ailment.

B5100

Equipment
B5100D w B445 MMM. B5100E w KC4200 deck and B2510 thrower.
May 28, 2019
Grey County, Ontario
I have a B6100E and I wont part with it unless someone offered me stupid money.

I was lucky in that mine only needed general maintenance.

I have used the heck out of it, wish it were 4WD but then again I really havent had any major setbacks cause it wasnt.

Mine is gonna need a clutch possibly in the near future but then again it may just need adjusting.

Its a workhorse
100% agree