No second or third gear.

noral1957

Equipment
Kubota B1700
Apr 12, 2019
Fort Payne
I have a Kubota B1700 which was not treated with TLC by previous owner. It goes forward and reverse just fine, but will not shift into second or third gear. I just use it in low range for mowing so it works well enough for that, but I am concerned about what could be wrong with the transmission. Worn or broken synchronizers? Is repair cost prohibitive? Any insights would help. Thank You!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a Kubota B1700 which was not treated with TLC by previous owner. It goes forward and reverse just fine, but will not shift into second or third gear. I just use it in low range for mowing so it works well enough for that, but I am concerned about what could be wrong with the transmission. Worn or broken synchronizers? Is repair cost prohibitive? Any insights would help. Thank You!
Is the lever moving?
If not it could just need the detents lubed.

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Welcome to the forum noral1957! There are a lot of guys here with a ton of knowledge about anything Orange! Pay attention and you will be glad you landed here!

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
It is not synchronized, so worn/broken synchros are out of the question. Likely a bent fork, broken fork, or broken gear(s). Sometimes you can pull the inspection cover off and see what's broken, but not always. I don't remember on that particular tractor if you can access the transmission gears from the top or not...I don't remember, unfortunately. The one that sticks out at me is the L2350/L2500/L2600/L3000 because I was just into one replacing the pto lever; and on those you can get to it from the top for visual purposes but it can't be replaced without splitting the tractor. Well more specifically the old bent one comes out no problem but the new style lever is bigger and won't fit back in without splitting the tractor.