Glue on Transmission Cover

Ford351c

Equipment
B7100
Feb 14, 2019
Vandergrift
I just fixed a transmission gear problem and am reassembling my B7100 manual transmission. Cleaning off the old gaskets was a PIA. It looks like glue was used in addition to the gasket. Anybody know what this is or better yet why the factory would use glue or something like that on this cover. The differential cover didnt have this stuff on it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just fixed a transmission gear problem and am reassembling my B7100 manual transmission. Cleaning off the old gaskets was a PIA. It looks like glue was used in addition to the gasket. Anybody know what this is or better yet why the factory would use glue or something like that on this cover. The differential cover didnt have this stuff on it.
Could that old "glue" be a gasket maker or gasket sealer?

I would think a good bit of form-a-gasket would seal all of it!;)

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Don't know about that but,, GM has started useing a pan gasket on the chevy trucks that fuses itself to the transmission pan. It doesn't stick to the aluminum transmission case. It's so bad that we have built a pan with very soapy water and we turn the trans pan over and lay it in the soapy pan and let it sit for days. We keep at least 2 already clean for immediate need.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They used a lot of different sealers on these older units.

Now I just use a light coat of RTV on the gaskets to seal them. ;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Myself, I've gotten away from blue glue and went to Anerobic Sealant.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
A lot of kubota stuff is sealed by their liquid gasket only. The machining is precision enough that the liquid gasket is all that's needed. I think the part number for at one of the gaskets is 70000-73764. The service manual tells you which part # to use for which tractor and which parts are in question. When fiddling with parts that are sealed with liquid gasket, one must clean every speck of the old stuff off, and that includes the stuff that's IN the channels if the part(s) have a channel for the sealant. That's the worst part to me. I use a pick, some acetone (softens it up a little) and lots of patience. Then once all the old stuff is out, clean it up really well, including all of the oil residue...and when I am doing one, I like to make SURE that all of the oil is out of the cases so that it can't dribble out while the liquid gasket is being applied and part(s) reassembled.

If you do it that way, they'll never leak.

A good aftermarket liquid gasket is any of the Ultra silicones from Permatex. I like gray and black depending on the application but also copper for other higher heat applications. None have any offensive odors which is appealing to me since my nose is very sensitive. I like to paint the squished out sealants with the proper color paint after doing a reseal; makes for a more professional looking repair and if for some reason later on down the road the owner decides to sell or trade it, a potential buyer doesn't have to glare at a bead of squished out orange silicone and wonder what was done to it and why.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The anaerobic sealants require oxygen-free and metal ions to cure.
Would you put that in simple terms please????:confused: I know it makes dandy joint sealant on air piping,

I use the Detroit Diesel brand (DDEC). Seems as though Detroit Diesel engines are 'glued' together with it...

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Would you put that in simple terms please???? I know it makes dandy joint sealant on air piping,
It's fast curing and non corrosive. Pipe threads and closely matched surfaces keep air and oxygen out. Then you need metal ions, such as steel, copper, aluminum, to cure. So no, it can't be used with gasket material that is non-metallic.

Besides air piping, it is also used for fire sprinkler fittings.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Jim... Kind of reminds me of Locktite 272 high strength threadlocker, even smells like it but is a lot cheaper (by volume) that 272. Same color too, at least the DDEC stuff is, translucent red.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
One disadvantage of the anaerobic sealants is that they don't do well with gasoline. Also there can't be much gap between materials.

Each application has a temperature, pressure, cure chemistry, fluids compatibility, etc. That's how I end up with so many 10-year-old half tubes of old goops waiting to be thrown out.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
With me, usually the half goops get hard in the tubes anyway. The exception is the sealant and Locktite. Don't know how many tubes of blue glue I've tossed and coagulated PVC cenent too.

Real careful with Locktite at 200 bucks a bottle, (250 ML).

I get my anaerboic sealant for free from the dealership. Don't know how much it costs but it's probably not cheap either.