ZD331 Won’t Restart

Elkaybe

Equipment
ZD331, RTV900, L4400
Apr 11, 2019
Fresno, CA
ZD 331 - while mowing, if I stop for some reason, shut it off and then restart, engage blades, it will go for a short distance before shaking and running very rough then dying. Trying to restart, it will do the same shaking and rough engine before dying. If I leave it for about 45 minutes, it will start with no problems and I can finish mowing. It has been recently serviced by Kubota dealer. They have no idea why it quits on me. Anyone?

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Other than the 45 minute thing it sure sounds like a fuel issue.
On my zd331 and 326 the first inline fuel filter would clog fast, causing the symptoms you describe (other than running normally after a 45m break). Those filters are a pain. I replaced the first inline filter with large Cat 2 micron spin on filters with much more capacity.
If the filters are due (or remotely close) for changing, I would start there. Followed by confirming fuel quality (drain if necessary), check flow incrementally through system, confirm lift pump (electric) working, and maybe blow out the lines with air for good measure.
This is what I replaced my first inline filters with:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Often this ends up with something in the fuel tank that gets sucked down and blocks the fuel outlet of the tank. Waiting 45 minutes may allow the object to move and allow the proper fuel flow.

Can you arrange some method for seeing the fuel flow out of the tank so when it won’t run you can see if there is the same flow as when it is running well? Or when it won’t run well blow air into the fuel line and see if it will run immediately (without waiting 45 minutes)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk