Pressure Plate - Keep OEM or Replace with Aftermarket?

NorCalOrange

Equipment
B2150HST, Brush Hog, FEL, Post Hole Digger
Mar 24, 2019
Newcastle, Ca.
Split a 25-30 year old B2150hst with only 650 hours due to propeller shaft ball joint. The clutch looks very good, lots of surface left. About 1mm, service manual says .3mm is service limit to reinstall.

My question is, since its apart, should I replace just the pressure plate? Do the springs get relaxed or weakened over time? Non Kubota PP's are only about $60. Another way to ask is, what is better, a 25+ year old OEM Kubota pressure plate or a new aftermarket pressure plate?

The tractor is for personal use on 6 acres. FEL, Brush hog, hauling wood up steep slopes...

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Split a 25-30 year old B2150hst with only 650 hours due to propeller shaft ball joint. The clutch looks very good, lots of surface left. About 1mm, service manual says .3mm is service limit to reinstall.

My question is, since its apart, should I replace just the pressure plate? Do the springs get relaxed or weakened over time? Non Kubota PP's are only about $60. Another way to ask is, what is better, a 25+ year old OEM Kubota pressure plate or a new aftermarket pressure plate?

The tractor is for personal use on 6 acres. FEL, Brush hog, hauling wood up steep slopes...
Use the original components. The clutch doesn't get a lot of exercise in a HST tractor, it will last for years yet!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The only reason you would need to replace it is if there is excessive wear on the fingers (levers). ;)

NorCalOrange

Equipment
B2150HST, Brush Hog, FEL, Post Hole Digger
Mar 24, 2019
Newcastle, Ca.
Fingers look good. Some marks from bearing contact but you can not feel any wear on those marks even when dragging a finger nail across them.

Am replacing pilot bushing and release bearing. Probably not necessary but everything I have read seems to suggest that these go out first.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Replace the bushing/bearing is good preventive action, IMO.

The rest.... if it ain't broke....