Fish Lifes B6100 Restoration

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
B6100 Low OIL Pressure Fix

Fish - I will post these, but hope we can get back to your project.
You do want the side shelf...good thing. I store 5 ton of wood pellets for a while, so can’t use mine right now. My boxes are also a little messy right now. I have the Weather Channel on my garage ROKU/WiFi fed TV... I compare it to my “Redneck Weather Rope” next to the window . ...[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
Re: B6100 Low OIL Pressure Fix

Most of the main seals and gaskets i ordered are oem. I was looking at some others on Kumar Bros website. Just curious anyone has any experience with there gaskets and seals?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

Most of the main seals and gaskets i ordered are oem. I was looking at some others on Kumar Bros website. Just curious anyone has any experience with there gaskets and seals?
I remember some saying Kumar Bros can be sketchy....I think mostly cast parts...don't hold me to it for the baskets, seals, etc......

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl

I remember some saying Kumar Bros can be sketchy....I think mostly cast parts...don't hold me to it for the baskets, seals, etc......
I thought I read something on here about the cast parts not being so good. I just have not heard anything about the rest of there stuff.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero

When it comes to seals and gaskets, especially ones on the rear main seal, I highly recommend either go to the dealer or make sure the seals are a reputable manufacturer not some China junk.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Kumar Bros case gaskets are fine, hard to mess those up, but the seals are... lacking, I tried them on a motor and blew the rear main seal out in 10 hours of running, real pain to have to tear it all down again to fix it. :mad:

The head that I got looked good, but the valve job on it leaked so bad the motor wouldn't fire, had to have the head completely reworked. :(

2 of 4 Glow plugs burned out within a couple times of using them, horrible failure rate.

Head gasket blew within 15 hours and overheated the motor again, didn't crack the head the second time, but i chose to scrap the engine and replace it with a newer model!

I still have that stupid expensive head hanging around collecting dust! :mad:

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
Very cool project! Keep up the good work. I am reading along and learning from your thread as I attempt my BX1800 rehab. After a lot of start and stop with parts ordering, I am about to start reassembling the D722 engine.

Very good info about the sealer on the head gasket! I'm going to install mine today or tomorrow. What brand of sealer do you use on it?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Very cool project! Keep up the good work. I am reading along and learning from your thread as I attempt my BX1800 rehab. After a lot of start and stop with parts ordering, I am about to start reassembling the D722 engine.

Very good info about the sealer on the head gasket! I'm going to install mine today or tomorrow. What brand of sealer do you use on it?
See post #29.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
My update from last night. Im a night owl so when everyone goes to bed I use that time to myself to work on things.

Thanks for the title change!

Got the plug tig welded in the end of the cam. That should take care of the low oil pressure.

Check all the measuresments on the cylinders as suggested and all are within specs. Not going to go any further into the block. Disassembled the head completely and checked it over. Checked for flatness and it is within specs. After spending some time looking it over I feel the head is fine and will pass on the pressure check. There is a ton of carbon buildup in the exhaust valve ports. The head looks like it just needs a good cleaning. Valves need cleaning and a little light lapping. The valve seals need to be replaced.

So, What would be the best method for cleaning the carbon out of the ports? I tried carb cleaner but it doesnt seem to do much.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
ABSOLUTELY NONE!
Head gaskets do not get any sealer!
Just make sure all surfaces are clean and install the O ring on the oil feed tube.

motorhead

Equipment
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
My update from last night. Im a night owl so when everyone goes to bed I use that time to myself to work on things.

Thanks for the title change!

Got the plug tig welded in the end of the cam. That should take care of the low oil pressure.

Check all the measurements on the cylinders as suggested and all are within specs. Not going to go any further into the block. Disassembled the head completely and checked it over. Checked for flatness and it is within specs. After spending some time looking it over I feel the head is fine and will pass on the pressure check. There is a ton of carbon buildup in the exhaust valve ports. The head looks like it just needs a good cleaning. Valves need cleaning and a little light lapping. The valve seals need to be replaced.

So, What would be the best method for cleaning the carbon out of the ports? I tried carb cleaner but it doesnt seem to do much.
Fish, You might look into having the head hot tanked if the carbon build up is bad. Use stainless wire plumbing brushes that are used for cleaning copper pipe before soldering. You have to be very careful to NOT get any scratches on the head or block mating surfaces. Any scratches can cause leakage. You want the surfaces to be Baby Butt smooth. be careful with the pre-chambers as they can pop out. Depending on the head gasket material, whether it has a sealing glaze on it or if it is a dry looking material, the dry type gasket material, the spray copper permatex works real good. The fine copper impregnates the gasket and helps to make a positive seal. There will be some head gaskets where you do NOT use a sealer.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fish, You might look into having the head hot tanked if the carbon build up is bad. Use stainless wire plumbing brushes that are used for cleaning copper pipe before soldering. You have to be very careful to NOT get any scratches on the head or block mating surfaces. Any scratches can cause leakage. You want the surfaces to be Baby Butt smooth. be careful with the pre-chambers as they can pop out. Depending on the head gasket material, whether it has a sealing glaze on it or if it is a dry looking material, the dry type gasket material, the spray copper permatex works real good. The fine copper impregnates the gasket and helps to make a positive seal. There will be some head gaskets where you do NOT use a sealer.
Kubota head gaskets have Pinto seals (silicone) and using a gasket sealer will make them fail. ;)

motorhead

Equipment
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Kubota head gaskets have Pinto seals (silicone) and using a gasket sealer will make them fail. ;)
Good to know. I have seen where guys use gasket sealer when there ids a silicone gasket or seal and all the sealer does is make the silicone slide out of place and fail. Again, it depends on the head gasket or any other gasket material whether you use a sealer or not.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
tried cleaning the head with some carb cleaner a little more and didnt have very much success. I dropped the head off at the engine builder that i was going to have pressure check it to be cleaned. should have it back Friday. Kubota dealer called and said my gaskets and seals are in. I will try to pick them up tomorrow afternoon. Going to work cleaning the front axel and frame tonight to get ready for paint.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
I picked up my parts from the dealer. I havent gotten the head back back yet from being cleaned. I got the front axel and frame all cleaned. I steam washed the parts first. The axel cleaned nicely. The frame I ended up sandblasting it. I was going to just use some rust oleum paint but none of the stores had any that would match. When I was getting my parts the guy told me that they carry Kubota paint in stock so I got some. Painted the the frame an axel. Probably wont get much done over the next several days with the holidays but I will try.

Attachments

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Please tell me the open engine block wasn't anywhere near the sandblasting operation... :eek:

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
Please tell me the open engine block wasn't anywhere near the sandblasting operation... :eek:
No. My shop is slit in two rooms. Blaster is in the other. Plus the engine is on a stand now covered with a trash bag. It’s in the background of the painted frame pic. Clean, clean, clean :)