Loader Hydraulic leak...and questions.

L225Chris

Equipment
L225
Feb 24, 2009
Delaware,Oh
I had bought this tractor recently and it is my first. I have a couple questions that my manuals do not cover. If anyone has any input please advise. This sounds like a stupid question but i guess if you are checking your hydraulic fluid you would want to check it warm? When checking mine cold as soon as i almost get the plug out it starts coming out the fluid check hole. I never think to check it after i have been running it. Probably because i was having too much fun.
Also after putting 10-15 hours on this tractor i noticed my one of my loader arms is now leaking fluid on the ground. Not a lot of fluid but enough to leave a good 8 inch puddle after a couple weeks of sitting. The seal is leaking at the tube and has been damaged by rust pits at the very end of the shaft. How bad is it to install a new seal? I am thinking the shaft needs pulled completely out to get the new one on. Is that right? I may try to remove the pitting with some fine sandpaper to insure it won't happen again. Also my loader is Kubota and model # 1200
Thanks,L225Chris

lens

Equipment
Too many to list
Feb 25, 2009
DIXON,IL
You will have to pull the cylinder shaft out & remove the piston to change the shaft seal.

L225Chris

Equipment
L225
Feb 24, 2009
Delaware,Oh
Thanks Vic and Lens for your replies. Draining the fluid from the tractor seems easy enough. But since i need to take the arm off to replace the seal and i don't know when the hydraulic fluid was last changed how would i get all the fluid out of the lines to do a complete hydraulic fluid change on the loader and tractor? Open up all the lines and let them drain or does the loader need to be in a certain postion? When filling i would think i need to cycle the loader a few times to check fluid level. Sound right to anyone? Is there a better type fluid to use than what was put in them? Sorry for all the questions...i rather do it right the first time and not ruin the pump or anything else.
Thanks, Chris