Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 02-24-2015   #1
Trkr
1st Yr. Apprentice

Default Glow Plug Light

Hi guys,I have new to me L2900.Tractor runs great,but the glow plug light/timer seems to have a mind of its own.Sometimes when I start it cold,light comes on briefly like it's supposed to.Other time it comes on and stays on for several minutes,till I shut the tractor off and restart it.It has also come on after its been running a while,and same thing,I shut the tractor off and restart it to get the light to go out.Glow plugs seem to work good,this thing will start easily in constant below freezing weather.I've done a little searching here,but I want confirm my problem before I spend the money.Do I need a glow plug controller?If so,where is it,and how much are they?Thanks.
Trkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2015   #2
Stubbyie
4th Yr. Apprentice

Default Re: Glow Plug Light

Not intimately familiar with your machine; others here can furnish schematics and parts diagrams...

First is to eliminate as possible culprits bad wiring, key switch, other switch, bulb, loose connections, chaffed wire providing intermittent short-to-ground----the simple and relatively inexpensive possibilities.

Next consider the controller may be exhibiting temperature related intermittent problems.

Try making a deal with your dealer to try a replacment controller and if doesn't rectify the problem return it. Some dealers will, some won't. If you're careful and handy you can jumper connections from tractor to controller box and get a test without actually 'installing' it (remember to use one jumper as 'chassis ground' from box shell to tractor).

I think you'd benefit from using an inexpensive analog needle-type multimeter in your trouble-shooting of wires and switches.

My controller is under dash, right of steering wheel, and cost abouit $70 couple years ago. In my case the glow plug lamp would stay on continuously with key 'on': the system was keeping the plugs energized continuously too and for that reason the alternator couldn't keep the battery charged to keep up the power used continuously by the plugs.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.
Stubbyie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #3
Diydave
Journeyman

Equipment: L2202 tractor, L185f tractor

I second the notion of checking for loose connections, particularly at the glow plug end. Seems that with the heat, the buss bar between the plugs tends to loosen up...
Diydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #4
Trkr
1st Yr. Apprentice

Thanks,IF it ever warms up around here I'll check the wiring well.
Trkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #5
Confused8122

Equipment: L3600

I have a L3600GST, and it had the same symptoms. The glow light would come on whenever, and stay on for as long as it felt like. Sometimes it wouldn't come on at all. When it didn't come on, it was harder starting.
After some research and diagnosis, I determined that my glow controller was bad. I read the wiring diagrams and decided it wasn't worth paying for a new one. I wired a heavy duty momentary switch to the glow relay, and also the glow light.
Now instead of an automatic glow plug, I turn my key on, push and hold button for however long I feel is necessary, then start the tractor. Cost me about $5, and half hour of time. It would have taken me as long to replace the controller, but I spent much less money.
Confused8122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015   #6
calvery
1st Yr. Apprentice

I second that idea that its the controller. I had the same issue on my 2900.
calvery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015   #7
Trkr
1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused8122 View Post
I have a L3600GST, and it had the same symptoms. The glow light would come on whenever, and stay on for as long as it felt like. Sometimes it wouldn't come on at all. When it didn't come on, it was harder starting.
After some research and diagnosis, I determined that my glow controller was bad. I read the wiring diagrams and decided it wasn't worth paying for a new one. I wired a heavy duty momentary switch to the glow relay, and also the glow light.
Now instead of an automatic glow plug, I turn my key on, push and hold button for however long I feel is necessary, then start the tractor. Cost me about $5, and half hour of time. It would have taken me as long to replace the controller, but I spent much less money.
Thanks for the idea,sounds like a winner to me!
Old 02-27-2015   #8
Kingcreek
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories

I had the same thing. Replaced the GP controller, about $70 and less than 1 hour and its working perfect. I didn't mind doing the proper fix since it was the first part failure of any kind in 14 years/1150 hours of service beyond routine maintenance.
Old 02-27-2015   #9
Service Dept Vic

You guys are great Kubota Service Tech Diagnosticians!

I too would be following a trouble shooting repair flow chart starting with loose electrical then chaffed wiring going to earth and ending with the possibility of a faulty/intermittent glow plug timer/relay.

Opposite of what Donald Trump would say--"You're all hired"!

Oh Ya! We've got that!
Service Dept Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015   #10
Confused8122

Equipment: L3600

Just to clarify, my relay was good, but my controller was bad. The controller gives ground to the relay to power the glow plugs. It also grounds the indicator to turn it on. I cut the two ground(control) wires, and hooked to a grounded momentary switch.
That way I didn't completely remove the controller, it would be easy to revert back to factory. And the controller won't make the indicator come on all the time.
Confused8122 is offline   Reply With Quote