A few new-guy questions

Boogity

Equipment
Kubota BX-1500
Apr 24, 2010
Rural Indiana
I just read the entire painting thread that is going right now. It triggered a question because I did not even know that there are two different orange shades to choose from. How do I know which color to pick for my '90 L2050? I have some areas that are just starting to show some rust that I want touch up.

Of course I bought a tractor without an owner's manual or shop manual or parts manual. I saw some outrageous prices on a couple websites for these books. Is there an alternative to these prices?

While checking out my new rig I removed the oil plug on the gearbox on the belly mower deck to check the condition and quantity of oil. Luckily it was full but the oil was very thin and almost clear. It has been my experience that gear oil is usually thicker and dark (even new oil). Something like the typical 80W-90 gear lube that I have always used in my brush mower. Does Kubota do this different?

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Not really sure on the paint thing, but it is probably the "older" color.

The oil in the tractor is actually a hydraulic fluid, and should be Kubota UDT (or similar rated) fluid. That is why it is less viscous. This is normal. Not sure about what they recommend in the mower.

You can try here for a few online manuals. Ebay is also another good place to look for manuals.

Good luck with your tractor!

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
You can get a pdf download of the Parts Manual at no charge at www.tractorsmart.com. Just click on the Manuals Tab on the site and then enter the requested information -- wait about 24 hours and you'll recieve the Parts Manuals that you requested.

As far as the Owners Manual and the WSM are concerned, you'll have to purchase them. Try any dealer or website ---- WSM's will be around $100 and Owners Manuals should be around $35.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I can't remember what the change over date for the paint was. These pics I attached will show the two shades and you should be able to tell which one you have. The pic of the B 6200 I found on another post here on OTT. The pic of the L 3000 was taken in my shed and was sitting in the shade. It really shows how much brighter the new color is. My tractor was dirty when this picture was taken and I haven't even waxed it this year yet. It really shines bright when it's cleaned up and a couple of coats of zymol on it.

Attachments

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I use an 80W-90 in my gearbox and it is a synthetic lube. The color is dark green... that's because it contains an antifoaming agent in it .... or so I was informed by the lube mfg.:confused:

Butch

Will In Tx

Equipment
L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
My tractor was dirty when this picture was taken and I haven't even waxed it this year yet. It really shines bright when it's cleaned up and a couple of coats of zymol on it.
OMG - You should be ashamed of yourself! - LOL's
LMAO, Bulldog, you can come and wax mine but it will be with Meguiar's...Dude you crack me up!
Sad to say I bet I would do it to.
Eric, that is dam funny....I have tears in my eyes.....LMAO
I should be ashamed of myself for even posting this....ROFLMAO

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
How do I know which color to pick for my '90 L2050?

Luckily it was full but the oil was very thin and almost clear.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Kubota tractor!!! :)

The UDT oil is thicker than plain old hydraulic oil. Regular hyd oil is 10W and is clear like water. When some people say, "oh that is just hydraulic oil" then someone will do just that. When that happens there is not really a good viscosity for the gear faces. Kubota UDT has other agents in their "blend" for the total use of the tractor and takes in consideration the hydraulics as well as the metal gear faces that need lubrication and cooling. Choose your oil wisely. :D;)

On the color; a Kubota dealer can tell you what color for what year but you can also choose what color you like. Since the new tractors have the latest orange I just went with that so I can have a "new tractor". :D :D :D :D
If you want to preserve originality then check with the dealer since they will also have the Kubota part numbers to verify the color.

Will In Tx

Equipment
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
DuPont Kubota Paint codes:

1987 BLUE W8877 UAD
1998 ORANGE F6395 HN
1990 ORANGE 67686 U
1993 ORANGE LIGHTER YS017 .
(TO DIFFERENT MATCHES ONE IS MUDDIER THAN
THE OTHER ONE- ONE MATCHES MAR 10913 THE OTHER
MATCHES 13935)
ORANGE DARKER YS019
1987 Kubota Orange H8976
ORANGE(NASON FAC PAC N.419.80

Boogity

Equipment
Kubota BX-1500
Apr 24, 2010
Rural Indiana
Thanks for all the good responses. I'm sure my tractor takes the older (less brilliant) orange. I'll have to look for the spray cans at Tractor Supply or Rural King.

It appears that some of you are mistakingly thinking about hydraulic fluid instead of my mower deck gearbox oil. My thoughts are that the oil I find inside my belly mower gearbox is so thin that it may not provide the high pressure gearface protection needed. The oil sure looks like hydraulic oil and not gearbox lube to me. I'll check with my not-so-local Kubota dealer tomorrow.

Will In Tx

Equipment
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
PM is the most important thing you need to do, any piece of equipment, any.
Should check that thing with a fine tooth comb!

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I agree with will 80-90 weight is what is in my mid mount mower that is what it calls for in manual. Mine is a 1983 model. handy

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use an 80W-90 in my gearbox and it is a synthetic lube. The color is dark green... that's because it contains an antifoaming agent in it .... or so I was informed by the lube mfg.:confused:

Butch
Butch,

I'm just proud to see that there is somebody else here on OTT that will admit to using Synthetic oil. That's all I use in everything I own. I even run it in my remote control car.

I'm sorry Traildust. I didn't mean to let you down but I just couldn't tell a lie about dirty orange. I have always thought it was funny to go to my local quarter car wash and unload my tractor and pull it up in the bay. You should see some of the strange looks I get. Most people just don't understand. My wife always made fun of me for washing my tractor when I am going to be on a road side field. She says why are you washing it when you are just going straight to the field and get it dirty. I figure that if I'm going to be right on the road the orange needs to be as shiny as possible.

I hear your stuff Will. I will make a deal with you. You bring your Kubota to my house here in Georgia. I have a brand new 30' x 40' shed behind my house that has nice shade trees on one side and the back of it. The other side is overlooking part of one of my pastures that is starting to turn nice and green now. I will get my 150 quart igloo cooler out and load it up. I no for sure it will hold 4 cases of beer and still get 60 lbs of ice on top of that. After the beer gets good and cold and get it topped back off with ice it will keep for almost a week. If you will bring the girl in the orange teddy, I will get my wife in her normal tractor driving clothes (38 EE stuffed in a tube top and daisy dukes). We can kick back in the shade with cold beer in hand and let them wax our Kubotas. We won't have to worry about anybody bothering us because I have a 225 lb Rottwieller to stand guard over the whole area. Does that crack you up or are you ready for a road trip?