L245DT Won't start

dr phil

Mar 4, 2009
Surrey b.c.
The tractor has been performing beautifully.
Today I was out in the garden tilling and turned it off while i did a manual task for about 20 minutes. When I hopped back on and tried to start it --- there was a small click and nothing.
I checked the battery terminals and tightend them down turned the key and the oil and charge lights turned on --- turned the starter knob and the lights when out and nothing.
12.77 volts across the battery and at the starter.
Fuses are all good.
What do I check next and in what order.
It is supposed to rain this week so would really like to get it back under cover soon.

Thanks
Phil

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
That is in order of probability,,, bad connection... batt cable-both ends,,,solenoid connectios...bad solenoid.
Take each batt connection off, clean, reinsstall. Take other end of batt connection loose, at ground and positive at switch, clean and reinstall. Take small wire loose from solenoid, clean and reinstall. Ifit still doesn't start, you probably hav ea bad solenoid.

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
try turning the key repeatedly.

I had a similar issue on my B2400, and it is a known issue on that machine, seems there is high resistance in the start circuit as the machine ages, as a result, power from the key isn't enough to energize the solenoid at times, repeated turning of the key and eventual start confirms this.
I was ready to rebuild the starter until I dug around and found out about....

the fix....

there is a relay kit you can get from a JohnDeere dealer($18) it essentially uses the key voltage to trigger a relay to draw direct battery power to the solenoid, I made my own relay kit with parts I had on hand, and have not had an issue starting my machine since. If done properly, you don't need to cut any of the stock tractor wiring.

there is an article somewhere on here discussing this same repair and has the part number for the JD parts, I will see if I can scare it up.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Kevin,
Sorry to distract but that reminded me of an old Vega I had years ago. To get it started I had to turn on the ignition, pop the hood and short out the starter with a big ass screw driver. Things would get interestting if the car died at a stopl light and it was night time. It would look like the creation of Frankenstein with all the flashes. Guess I should of had a flashlight.....

I finally chucked the screwdriver and wired in a switch from the solenoid to the dash with a toggle switch. Now I could start the car from inside like a normal person. Well, normal people didn't drive Vega's :rolleyes:

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Kevin,
Sorry to distract but that reminded me of an old Vega I had years ago. To get it started I had to turn on the ignition, pop the hood and short out the starter with a big ass screw driver. Things would get interestting if the car died at a stopl light and it was night time. It would look like the creation of Frankenstein with all the flashes. Guess I should of had a flashlight.....

I finally chucked the screwdriver and wired in a switch from the solenoid to the dash with a toggle switch. Now I could start the car from inside like a normal person. Well, normal people didn't drive Vega's :rolleyes:
GM starters brought the bad mojo big time, I replaced I dunno how many solenoids on 2 different Pontiac's and I'd bet the relay bypass would have worked wonders, there was a Ford solenoid mod but I refused to use Ford parts after having a Maverick try and start itself during a heavy rain once. My mom was not real happy about the car spinning over and nobody in it.

FWIW, I used Toyota parts to perform the relay bypass on my B2400, if anything, it'll boogie across the yard when I'm mowing !!

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
GM starters brought the bad mojo big time, I replaced I dunno how many solenoids on 2 different Pontiac's and I'd bet the relay bypass would have worked wonders, there was a Ford solenoid mod but I refused to use Ford parts after having a Maverick try and start itself during a heavy rain once. My mom was not real happy about the car spinning over and nobody in it.

FWIW, I used Toyota parts to perform the relay bypass on my B2400, if anything, it'll boogie across the yard when I'm mowing !!
I remember the Maverick, it was very similar to the Comet. My neighbors had a Comet and let me use that to take my driving liscense test.

That's a funny storry of your moms car staring up. I am willing to bet that she had a feeling you had something to do with it :rolleyes:

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
This thread comes in good time for me. I went out to start the tractor and it started to kind of skip during cranking. Normally I would charge the battery and make sure everything was making good contact but this symptom was intermitant. One time it would start perfect and the next it would skip so bad that I didn't know if the starter was going to start the tractor. I was getting ready to test my battery and what ever led me to a conclusion but this thread may have saved me some time. :D :D
I hope so. We shall see. :D

Well, normal people didn't drive Vega's :rolleyes:

:eek: Oh my Vega's........ you had to remind me. :p
I had three of those things so I am three times not normal. :D :D :D

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Oh my Vega's........ you had to remind me.
I had three of those things so I am three times not normal.
OMG - 3 Vega's :eek:

I don't know if I should laugh :D - or - cry :(

Maybe with all three you could have had at least one running at any given time :p

Sorry Kevin, here is your thread back :cool:

dr phil

Mar 4, 2009
Surrey b.c.
Got it back into the garage --- The previous owner had done a poor patchup job on the ground strap to the negative terminal. Will have to put on a new one next weekend.

Phil

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
try turning the key repeatedly.

I have the same problem with my L245. If I jump the selnoid trigger from the battery primary it starts every time. I'll keep the relay in mind. If I repeatedly turn the start switch it will allways start......guess I could always go back to the old fashioned push button switch.
JWB