Grabbing clutch with a hydraulic shuttle shift

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
On a M7040, when manually using the clutch pedal for slipping the clutch the clutch will all of a sudden grab and engage with a jerk. Is there an adjustment that is needed to correct this?

The grab also happens when going over very rough ground where stumps have been removed and clutching is necessary.

As additional information, at times the tractor will creep forward or backward with the shuttle lever in neutral.

I need to pull over large trees that are critical to fall in a certain direction and the jerk is dangerous to the cutter. Slipping the clutch allows the tree to be held with tension until the cut is made.

The M7040 tractor is six months old, 170 hrs, and thus is still under warranty.

Thanks.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
You have given some great advice to others and have been a BIG help to the forum. Now I wish I could help you but I can't :(

At least, though, your tractor is still under warranty.

avi8tor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800DT, BX2380, RTV X900
Mar 14, 2010
Cleveland, Alabama
I don't know, but it sounds like the clutch is out of adjustment or there is contamination on the clutch surface. I would probably take it back to the dealer for warranty work since it is still under warranty.

Max

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
I haven't ever heard of this problem on this tractor. What transmission do you have?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I need to pull over large trees that are critical to fall in a certain direction and the jerk is dangerous to the cutter. Slipping the clutch allows the tree to be held with tension until the cut is made.

Thanks.
Why does this sound like you are using the loader to lean on a tree then cut it down? Thats got bad idea written all over it!

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Why does this sound like you are using the loader to lean on a tree then cut it down? Thats got bad idea written all over it!
No, there is no pushing. Rather, a 100 ft. cable is attached high in the tree with a hydraulic lift. That gives considerable leverage for pulling it in the right direction.

As far as the type of transmission the spec sheet lists:

Four Speed Fully Synchronized
8F/8R Synchro Shuttle
8F/8R Speeds Hydraulic shuttle

I don't have a part number.

Thanks to all for the replies and ideas so far.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi
This tractor has a hydraulic multi-disc clutch. It is NOT meant to be used as a torque converter! It will not maintain a continuous slipping condition to protect the plates from overheating so it will grab after a short engagement period. It is working like it was designed to. Sorry
Ed

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Hi
This tractor has a hydraulic multi-disc clutch. It is NOT meant to be used as a torque converter! It will not maintain a continuous slipping condition to protect the plates from overheating so it will grab after a short engagement period. It is working like it was designed to. Sorry
Ed
Nothing to be "sorry" about - the information is appreciated. Converting my ignorance into knowledge is exactly what is being sought. Thank you.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
GWD... this is why I like this site... the folks here convert my lack of understanding and unfortunately sometimes ignorance into solid knowledge that I can learn from.

Not to mention we do have a lot of fun poking at each others costs of our learning curve.

Lessons learned and shared on this site can save its members a lot of time and hard earned money....

All I can say is that, "Orange Power Rocks"..... Butch