Adding coolant question

CabotTiger

Equipment
B7300
Apr 7, 2010
Cabot, Arkansas
Just recently purchased a B7300 with 850 hours. Everything checks out except I don't see any fluid in the radiator reservior tank and when I open the radiator cap I don't see any fluid there either. I want to flush it out and start fresh but want to get some work in today and tomorrow before doing so (need to beat the rain). Can I just top off with water in both places or do I add 50/50 antifreeze? Was reading on another site about not wanting to mix antifreezes and you can't just go by color alone. So, should I just top off with water before I flush and clean soon or is it ok to use the standard green 50/50 without knowing what was in there before? FWIW, and yes I know stupid, I used the tractor two days ago for about 3 hours running a brush cutter without any problem or warning (may have been lucky). Thanks

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
CabotTiger, Welcome to the OTT.

If your rad is low top off with the 50/50 green, can't go wrong.

Remember that a radiator is designed to perform with lots of pressure. The higher pressure keeps the fluids from boiling. If there is not enough fluid then there will not be sufficient pressure and the fluids will boil....not good.

If you look in there and see nothing, then you must add. Don't take chances, not all gamblers are dealt the winning hand.

Last edited:

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I agree with traildust 50/50 green. also agree with brokersdad. If you are loosing a lot of antifreeze in 3 hours may want to check radiator cap or do like me go ahead and purchase a new one. Flush it out replace with new and check hoses make sure you clean radiator fins FROM INSIDE OUT. Not outside in or you will impact debree inside the fins that will cause it to overheat.handy

slc10844

Equipment
zd326
Mar 28, 2010
cockeysville
If you are going to flush the system just top it off with water and check for leaks. If the level is low there is probably a leak somewhere that needs to be adddressed.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Ya, where did the fluid go? Have you checked your oil level and condition?

Posibilities are: Bad rad cap allowing it to escape, Head gasket shot allowing to mix with oil or dump into cylinder. If it's going into the cylinder you should have white sweet smelling smoke out the exhaust.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
How bout pressure testing cooling system. And welcome to the forum.:D Dusty MMMM Sorry I forget some times not everybody spends as much as I have on tools. If you have a test kit check cooling system and cap.

Last edited:

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Did I say something wrong?:confused:;)
No, on the contrary, your advise is the greatest! You kick ass in referance to how great your technical advise is. I'd personally like to thank you for all of your help you have given.

Thank you kuboman!

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
No, on the contrary, your advise is the greatest! You kick ass in referance to how great your technical advise is. I'd personally like to thank you for all of your help you have given.

Thank you kuboman!
You are welcome, glad I can help once in a while. :)

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
Every tractor I have seen that has no external leaks form the cooling system but is losing coolant has had a cracked head. Usually they overheat, normally caused by a clogged radiator. Even if it doesnt look clogged, there could be dirt packed in, use an air hose to blow it out. If you are low in coolant your gauge may not show it is overheating because a temp sender reads water temp- if there isnt any water, it wont show the temp. Fill it up, they all originally use 50 50 mix green and water. Run it, see how it does, check to see if it smokes. If not, you may have dodged it, good luck.

CabotTiger

Equipment
B7300
Apr 7, 2010
Cabot, Arkansas
Just a quick update. I topped it of with 50/50 and have put about 10 hours on it during this past week working it pretty hard with the cutter and box blade. Checked again yesterday before starting up and its still as full as when I topped it off.

Yes, oil and hydro fluid is fine.

No white sweet smelling smoke.

Thanks guys.

Last edited: