shifter leaking

stanleyp

Equipment
L345
Mar 27, 2010
mckinney, tx
I have a new to me L345 and I thought I had all the service done and had fixed all the leaks (does that ever happen)- but after running the tractor for about 1 1/2 hours I noticed a leak around the shifter. It is not the seal around the shifter plate, but coming up around the shaft. My shop manual is still on order, but I did look at a schematic and it looks like there is an o-ring under the shifter. If that o-ring went bad, would that be the cause of the leak?

Thanks for any info,

Stan

beachmissions

Equipment
L285 and B2150
Aug 13, 2013
Greenbrier,TN. U.S.A.
Hi, Yes there is a "o" ring just under the washers and ring clip. Mine is leaking under the metal shield where there is a rubber seal on both the shifter and pto .....I can't find anything wrong with the seals other than age probably as to why my pto shifter seal would leaking while engaged...so I am replacing both.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
It is quite common for the transaxle vent to get plugged by wasps/daubers. When the vent gets plugged, the shifter caps will become the next weakest link and start to burp after longer use. On my L245, the vent looks like a question mark shaped piece of tubing maybe ~3/8" diameter, high on the case, left side of the lift cylinder.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Thank to this thread, i repaired my only oil leak.
On my L1501 the vent tube was plugged with
Mud. Its threaded into the housing under the seat. Ten
Minutes and it was fixed. Also got hinge welded
On toolbox while it was off. Ott. Com rocks!

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Check your unit and determine if you have TWO of the transaxle / transmission housing / axle "question-mark-shaped-vents". Mine does, plus the one built into the hydraulic oil filler port cap.

Dirt daubers love the vents. The little plastic suckers are expensive to replace when they split out from age and oil exposure or washing out the bug mud.

I tracked down a brass fitting (think 'copper tubing' in BST or metric--I don't remember which), made up a short piece of tubing bent into a loop, then mashed the open end of the tubing "almost" closed in a vise.

Reinstalled with now no bugs and no venting problems. Just for grins I additionally cable-tied a piece of rag around the end of the tube. Change out the rag scrap every oil change as part of the regular maintenance.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Thanks I’ve got the same thing happening and was going to replace the seal
A piece of old sock or rag wrapped around the candy cane under your seat will prevent the mud dobbers from filling the vent full of mud, but will allow the vent to work properly.

I got fed up with having to clean mine out before use and did just that. Taped a piece of rag over the end of that vent. It's been a few years now and haven't had a lick of trouble since.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk