L295DT Clutch Replacement

jamesparkhyde

Equipment
l295dt, B27
Mar 11, 2010
Langley, WA, USA
The clutch on my L295DT (4WD) is slipping and needs repair. I'm on Whidbey Island in Washington. The nearest (not so local) mechanic said the labor alone would be $800. It would probably cost me a couple of hundred dollars just to get it there. So I need to repair it myself. I'd like to connect with someone who has repaired the clutch on a tractor like this one.

Thanks,

Jim.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Jim. I was going to post on this a while ago but figured I would wait to see if someone else had done a clutch on your model. I did the clutch on my B7200 with no big problems. But Milo is right your work shop manual will have the procedure to set up your clutch.Make sure it is toasted before you spend a bunch of cash. If you don't have a work shop manual and parts book, Get them they make life a lot easier when doing anything to your tractor. I find these kubotas to be easy to work on but without the manuals it is easy make mistakes. Good luck and keep us posted:D dusty

jamesparkhyde

Equipment
l295dt, B27
Mar 11, 2010
Langley, WA, USA
Hi Jim. I was going to post on this a while ago but figured I would wait to see if someone else had done a clutch on your model. I did the clutch on my B7200 with no big problems. But Milo is right your work shop manual will have the procedure to set up your clutch.Make sure it is toasted before you spend a bunch of cash. If you don't have a work shop manual and parts book, Get them they make life a lot easier when doing anything to your tractor. I find these kubotas to be easy to work on but without the manuals it is easy make mistakes. Good luck and keep us posted:D dusty
Hey, Dusty, it probably seems like a ridiculously long time to get back to you, but oh well. I have two Kubotas, one a B2710 plus the older L295DT. Most of my implements fit the little tractor (barely), so I've been lazy about fixing the L295. Plus it still does lots of chores fine, just won't pull a plow. I'm glad I didn't just jump into the clutch repair, because upon listening more carefully I realized the "grating" sound I hear when the wheels stop turning is coming from the back of the machine, not the front. So I wonder what it is and how to figure out what is wrong. It appears that the front wheels might keep turning (when I'm in 4wd and disengage the differential). Any ideas for a conclusive diagnosis?

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Hi Jim,

I just rebuilt a L295DT motor, and replaced the clutch disc/pressure plate & TO Bearing, and had the flywheel resurfaced while I had it all apart.

I live down in Allyn, WA (Hey Milo Holroyd, I'mpretty close to Harstine Island!)

I posted several inquiries here over the past year during the endeavor....there's a thread I started in this forum.

Anyway......I have access to the maintenance and parts manuals if you need 'em.....but realistically, this is a pretty straightforward job.

I used a machine shop in Snohomish for the flywheel resurface....but you're a lot closer to Piston Service in Anacortes, and I highly recomend them....I used to live in Anacortes and they were awesome!

If you need any help.....give me a shout.

Dave
three six oh, two seven 7, four zero 2 one

jamesparkhyde

Equipment
l295dt, B27
Mar 11, 2010
Langley, WA, USA
If it were the clutch wouldn't the "grinding" sound come from that area? The noise I'm hearing comes from somewhere to the rear. Any ideas what might be making that noice when I lose power to the rear wheels?

In general, thanks for your kind advice and great offer. When I figure out what might be wrong I'll let you know and we can talk strategy.

Jim.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Humm....I would start with draining the oil and seeing if it's full of metal shavings/particles.
If it is, park it and start tearing it down to find what ever is worn out.
Rear ends can be several things.....gears, bearings, driver teeth.....won't know until you dig into it and find the culprit.

Reading a l,ittle closer:
If the front wheels are still engaged after pulling the lever on the left to go from 4 wheel to 2 wheel, I would start with the transfer case assy. Sounds like something isn't dissengaging......does the up/down lever feel normal when you use it?

Last edited:

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
This may not be relavent sometimes my 4wd lever does not want to go back into 2wd after a run.I move forward, backward, roll a bit and then it will move into 2wd. Front wheel gears binding or lashed up?