How do I turn L245 engine by hand?

JunkyardDog

Equipment
L245
Nov 16, 2018
Cypress, TX
While this may seem like an obvious or commonly used procedure for everyone else, I am not finding specific instructions on the recommended method, or any acceptable "easy" method, to turn the engine by hand. I am referring to a the method by which one would use to find TDC (Top Dead Center).

Now, I know that turning the crank or stepping the flywheel are possible methods. But, what does it take to get there? What access plate do I remove to get to the flywheel? Do I need to remove the radiator to get to the crank? Is it even possible to turn the crank by hand on this model? Is a special tool involved? Is this really a two-man operation? Will I cause damage if I turn it backwards too far?

I have the WSM (Work Shop Manual) and I am not finding details on how best to turn the engine by hand. It literally only states, "Rotate crankshaft by hand to position number one piston at top dead center of compression stroke." There is no mention of exactly how I should accomplish this.

Attachments

Last edited:

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
While this may seem like an obvious or commonly used procedure for everyone else, I am not finding specific instructions on the recommended method, or any acceptable "easy" method, to turn the engine by hand. I am referring to a the method by which one would use to find TDC (Top Dead Center).

Now, I know that turning the crank or stepping the flywheel are possible methods. But, what does it take to get there? What access plate do I remove to get to the flywheel? Do I need to remove the radiator to get to the crank? Is it even possible to turn the crank by hand on this model? Is a special tool involved? Is this really a two-man operation? Will I cause damage if I turn it backwards too far?

I have the WSM (Work Shop Manual) and I am not finding details on how best to turn the engine by hand. It literally only states, "Rotate crankshaft by hand to position number one piston at top dead center of compression stroke." There is no mention of exactly how I should accomplish this.
Use a pipe wrench on the splined shaft coming out the front of the motor where the bottom fan belt pulley is. The motor turns counter clock wise. On the right side of the tractor where the motor bolts to the transmission is an inspection cover for the flywheel. Take the 2 bolts off the cover and you can see the side of the flywheel. Its marked for tdc #1, tdc #2 and tdc #3.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

JunkyardDog

Equipment
L245
Nov 16, 2018
Cypress, TX
ranger_danger, Thank You. If my Decompress worked (see below), I would also add that engaging Decompress will allow the crank to spin a bit easier. Since mine is an issue, I'll likely remove the Glow Plugs to relieve the pressure. After the Decompress fix, that should no longer be an issue.

North Idaho Wolfman, I finally have all of what I think I need to perform the repair of the rusted lever and broken cable of the Decompress assembly (new cable, o-ring, and cover gasket). Since I will have that cover off of the head, I figured I would go ahead and check the clearances of the tappets. The engine runs. But, I think it has never been adjusted. It is from the 70's and that just screams "tweak me"!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Gotcha, yea if I was in there I would check the valves too.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
For a gear tractor an easy way to turn the engine by hand is to jack up one rear tire, put the trans in highest gear, and turn the tire.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Hey there's another option. I just used a pipe wrench on the forward splined shaft.

JunkyardDog

Equipment
L245
Nov 16, 2018
Cypress, TX
I found the Timing Marks View Port. Moving the flywheel was easy and not too tedious.

All of the valves were a bit sloppy. I would say 0.004 - 0.005 over spec. I can't wait to fire it up. Until I get the Decompress fixed, it will have to wait. I have posted separately on that.

I am curious though. What are the alternate marks that are not marked TC? The one in the picture was market 2 F. Is this a fuel timing mark? I can't find a reference in the WSM (at least my pdf text seach does not find it).

Attachments

Last edited: