Z326S Right Tank Fuel Blockage

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
The ZD326S runs fine on the left tank but cuts out when switched to right tank. I changed the fuel filters and that has fixed this in the past but not this time. Where would be the first place to look for the blockage? It will run for a while then run rough but never dies, I am quick to shut off the mower deck load. Ideas?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The ZD326S runs fine on the left tank but cuts out when switched to right tank. I changed the fuel filters and that has fixed this in the past but not this time. Where would be the first place to look for the blockage? It will run for a while then run rough but never dies, I am quick to shut off the mower deck load. Ideas?
Please double check your machine's model #.

You show two different numbers in your post and further Messicks does not seem to recognize either. It sees one # not as complete machines but a deck.

Dave

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
The 2 fuel filters are inline, after the tank selector valve. If you have problems with a specific tank, the blockage should be at or before the tank selector valve.
When I had fuel delivery problems on my ZD331, I blew air through the line upstream of the first filter, changed the fuel valve, repeat.
It sounds like there may be an obstruction in the tank, or I have heard of a defective valve causing similar symptoms.

As simple as these problems seem, they can be difficult to diagnose and correct. My ZD331 never really ran right (fuel issue) and my solution was to add a secondary lift pump and an additional 2u filter. It's been fine for the past 800 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Are you positive that you're using the selector valve properly? Look at the valve. If you move the arm so it's pointing to the side, it's off. I think down is right tank, left is left tank, and to the right is off.

If that's ok, you've either got a restriction in the line, valve or tank. Algae has been horrible this year.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Are you positive that you're using the selector valve properly? Look at the valve. If you move the arm so it's pointing to the side, it's off. I think down is right tank, left is left tank, and to the right is off.

If that's ok, you've either got a restriction in the line, valve or tank. Algae has been horrible this year.

Yes, that's actually true! After thousands of hours I have took look at the picture every time because the position of the valve is not very intuitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Understand about the tank selection valve, it is confusing. But I do have the correct position on the valve. I do suspect the tank is clogged, do I need to remove the tank and is that a simple task? A brief look and it appears the gas lines are wrapped and tucked tightly and hard to get to. Advice/thoughts on the proper procedure to dismantle and trouble shoot? I guess it could be here at the valve itself.

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
I drained the right tank as best I could using a manual hand ciphering pump. Removed the valve bracket under the seat and pulled it out where I could remove the right tank hose from the valve and nothing came out. This let me know the blockage was in the bottom tank connection. I then placed this right tank hose in the manual suction ciphering pump and pulled the blockage out instead of blowing back inside the tank. Worked perfectly and runs great now!

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Wow D2Cat I never paid much attention to it! I seen it go up the suction tube and then the remaining diesel fuel started flowing from the tank and I was busy trying to get the hose connected back to stop the flow. I just assumed it was grass but actually I don’t know. Sorry, I had it dumping into a plastic jug and last I seen the blockage was in the suction tube but when I went back the suction tube was empty. After 12 years and mowing ~3 hours every week during mowing season, this is the first time I had to clear a tank.