Any advice on a PTO Generator on a B7001

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Hey,
After 1 hour of unpacking the garage to get to the generator (5KW 8hp - gas / 240 - 120) to power the house up after a storm (yes I flipped off the main, I like my utility workers...) I thought there has to be a way to fabricate a mount for a generator head to run off the PTO.
Any thoughts?
PTO has 3 speeds, the regular 540 rpm, then 2 other's I never use but I think the fastest is like 1800 RPM, is that fast enough or would I need a gearbox as well as the genny head?
Any one have any idea oh how much load my diesel would take, > 5KW that I have now?
Any thoughts, observations, etc. would be appreciated.
I would love to have a 10KW or larger to power the house in the event of a larger downtime event. This outage lasted only 16 hours, (substation and flood do not mix....), but could have been much worse.
Would like to at least be able to run some of the 240 stuff in the house.
I only ran the 110 stuff with the 5 KW and when the washer was agitating the genny was hating life with the chest freezer and the refriderator and a few lights.
The 1.25 gallon 5 KW will go about 2.5 hours under medium to heavy load, but I could rev the tractor to 3K RPM on the engine and let it run for HOURS on the diesel in a long duration event.
I can get generators with bad engines sometimes on C'list, just wanting to do a little redneck engineering.

Thanks,
KC

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
There is no better way to understand how they work and what they will do than by building your own- I think that could be a great idea, given the resources and know-how.
The link to Northern Tools gives you (at least) three ideas- they run at 540 pto rpms, hp is directly relational to output, and they look to have gear boxes.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Makeing your own tractor bulit generator has BAD IDEA written all over it! That's alot of eletricty they put out and if your not carefull and do something wrong ZAP your getting knocked across the neighborhood.
Also seems to me theres a helluva chance to really screw up your house if the generator is not wired and powerd correctly. Like melt copper wires, cause a power surge to appliances and trash those items. Generators are a tool best left up to the professionals to produce.

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Those are just some of the one's I noticed at Northern's website. Do a Google search for tractor generators and see what you come up with.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I started to look in to them a while back too,, and like you Im limited to a 7.5 kw. talking to the stealer he said oh yeah we have one and used it all last winter when the big storm hit,, I though cool,, so I went to order one from the service dept and got a ration of shyt about it,,, why would you want to run your tractor ,why put the hours on it and on and on and on,, do I walked out, and bought a portable 8kw for about the same money off craigs list, used but in good shape.. Let us know how it works for you, Im pretty pizzed at that dealer and his service dept

Davemerq73

Equipment
FEL, Rear Blade, Box scraper
Dec 5, 2010
Becker, MN
http://www.utterpower.com/pmg.htm

I have considered this for a while. I do have some experence in maintianing, and designing commercial generator systems, so I belive I am prepared for the technical issues, and risks.

With that said, I would avoid all the "normal" generators that are available at the box stores. I would look into, and purchase a PMT generator.

With Correctly designed magnets, and windings, these little buggers are more reliable, and easier to build/rebuild.

Also, I would look closer at your Watts vs HP. Most generators are much more efficient than the dealers lead you to belive. The only reason for such large engines vs generators is to account for block loads, or transients. The same function can be done in a PMT generator, and a large flywheel. Also for a Generator with an Electronic Voltage regulator, it is likely to fail duing the transients, where a PMG with a flywheel is just a big chunk of metal suspended on 2 bearings...

btw - if you find one let me know!

http://www.utterpower.com/pmg.htm